PDA

View Full Version : Mythbuntu, Just Another Distro With A Single Application! (Same Pattern)

Minimalistix
October 30th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Something Kinda worrying :confused:

i was reading the news like always, and i found myself reading a news of another distro based in ubuntu(MythBuntu). i personally think that the linux development is like a neverending story (Tons of Project making a New Distro Just to Show Off an Application).

Why can't every project make an App instead of a Whole distro just to show one app???, now if i want to use mythTV i have to Install a new distro or Transform my Own to That.. just to use it, instead they could develop a project to aid ubuntu, not to split it, they could easily do another App like a Media Center(MCE, FrontRow) and aid the ubuntu, just like compiz fusion did. it would be a lot better simplify the distro that make it more complicated for the user. ubuntu
should stay like it is a All In Wonder Disc, not a cocktail of distros, or distros oriented only to a Cool new Application.

Projects Should Aid the Same Distro!!! Not Make a NewOne!!!

Regards,
(Simplyfing Things Makes Them Better)

23meg
October 30th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Moving to Community Cafe, since this doesn't pertain to the Idea Pool.

1) How does Mythbuntu make things more complicated for the user?
2) In what way does Mythbuntu "split" Ubuntu?
3) Why do you have to install Mythbuntu to use MythTV?
4) How do you reach the conclusion that Mythbuntu "does not help" Ubuntu?

OoooMatron
October 30th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Something Kinda worrying :confused:

i was reading the news like always, and i found myself reading a news of another distro based in ubuntu(MythBuntu). i personally think that the linux development is like a neverending story (Tons of Project making a New Distro Just to Show Off an Application).

Why can't every project make an App instead of a Whole distro just to show one app???, now if i want to use mythTV i have to Install a new distro or Transform my Own to That.. just to use it, instead they could develop a project to aid ubuntu, not to split it, they could easily do another App like a Media Center(MCE, FrontRow) and aid the ubuntu, just like compiz fusion did. it would be a lot better simplify the distro that make it more complicated for the user. ubuntu
should stay like it is a All In Wonder Disc, not a cocktail of distros, or distros oriented only to a Cool new Application.

Projects Should Aid the Same Distro!!! Not Make a NewOne!!!

Regards,
(Simplyfing Things Makes Them Better)

Yeah I know what you are saying :lolflag: It feels like some people with some hosting money think, hmmm let's install some new apps by default, rebrand the logo and add a new wall paper and colour and make a new distro. The worst ones are the the religious spin offs. Let's install the bible and call it Christian Edition. Now someone has figured out to install the Koran and called it Muslim Edition. I'm looking forward to the Pagan one :D

Calash
October 30th, 2007, 09:39 PM
For an application like MythTV, where the preferred setup is not a standard desktop, I can see the advantages of a separate distro.

For my setup I am using the Mythbuntu weekly build repos. I really like the supplied control panel.

Too each there own I guess, but I do not see it as a negative to have many flavors of the same OS.

cyclefiend2000
October 30th, 2007, 10:09 PM
i like the idea of different flavors of the same os too. i was looking forward to the release of fluxbuntu. i realize that you could set this up yourself doing a server install of ubuntu and adding the packages yourself, but it is nice that someone did all the leg work for me.

call me lazy i guess?

mysticmatrix
October 30th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Go here and install

http://www.mythbuntu.org/existing-ubuntu
on your regular installation by just one click.

Also, if a application potentially deserves a different usage altogether in home usage, it should deserve different distro. Remember XP Media edition.

saulgoode
October 30th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Try to imagine things from the developers' perspective. They are familiar with Ubuntu and for the most part it fits their needs. However, they might need to customize some aspects of Ubuntu for their particular application.

They might need a different kernel than Ubuntu with some real-time patches applied or perhaps some drivers compiled in rather than provided as modules. They might find they need features from a newer version of a library that has not yet been packaged for Ubuntu or has been compiled with a different configuration. Sometimes specialized debugging versions of applications are used to ease the problem of finding bugs in their code.

To continue using vanilla Ubuntu for their project they would have to convince Ubuntu's developers to provide for those customizations. Since the customizations might not benefit the Ubuntu's target market, this discussion would probably end up being a waste of not only the Mythbuntu developers' time, but that of the Ubuntus' developers as well.

It is more efficient for the Mythbuntu development team to create their own customized distribution and share their efforts so that anyone -- including the Ubuntu development team -- can avail themselves of any useful functionality or innovative approaches.

Many of these specialty distributions are not so much pursuing a large userbase as just being a group of developers trying to share their skills and efforts in an efficient manner to produce something that they themselves find useful.

Minimalistix
October 31st, 2007, 12:25 AM
Well,

Like my Fellow friend saulgoode said "waste of time", thanks for wasting your precious time here.

my point of view maybe is wrong, and ubuntu should have a many os flavors as necessary to benefit some application in particular.

my point was in terms of simplicity, for me mythtv was another project like gimp, compiz, etc, that can be easily embedded into ubuntu. not make a whole distro for that only. but as soulgoode said this is probably a waste of time.

regards,
thanks for your time

HermanAB
October 31st, 2007, 01:37 AM
MythTV is notoriously hard to install. Therefore projects like MythBuntu, KnopMyth and Asterisk at Home provide a simple way for users to try out otherwise impossible systems.

If you go to the VMware web site, then you'll find hundreds of virtual machines ready for free download. This accomplishes the same kind of thing for other complex applications like Sugar CRM or complete mail systems and so on.

Nekiruhs
October 31st, 2007, 01:52 AM
Yeah I know what you are saying :lolflag: It feels like some people with some hosting money think, hmmm let's install some new apps by default, rebrand the logo and add a new wall paper and colour and make a new distro. The worst ones are the the religious spin offs. Let's install the bible and call it Christian Edition. Now someone has figured out to install the Koran and called it Muslim Edition. I'm looking forward to the Pagan one :D
<sarcasm>I'm making an Ubuntu Atheist Edition right now!!</sarcasm>
I really don't mind the spinoffs though I think many of them could just be a meta-package (Like ubuntu-desktop).

blithen
October 31st, 2007, 02:40 AM
I'm looking forward to the Pagan one :D
There is Ubuntu Satanic Edition

potentia
October 31st, 2007, 03:01 AM
Linux has too many distributions and too few users. It is not popular to claim that there is a connection... neither is it popular to use Linux.

superm1
January 5th, 2008, 03:42 AM
FYI:

Mythbuntu is an Ubuntu derivative focused upon setting up a standalone MythTV system similar to Knoppmyth or Mythdora. Currently, it is a recognized as a community supported project by Canonical. Mythbuntu can be used to install a stand alone Frontend, Backend, or combination machines. Unlike similar projects, Mythbuntu keeps close ties with Ubuntu and all development is given back to the Ubuntu Community. This allows easy conversions from a standard desktop to a Mythbuntu machine and vice versa. The development cycle of Mythbuntu closely follows that of Ubuntu, releasing every six months shortly after Ubuntu releases.

swoll1980
January 5th, 2008, 06:45 AM
<sarcasm>I'm making an Ubuntu Atheist Edition right now!!</sarcasm>
I really don't mind the spinoffs though I think many of them could just be a meta-package (Like ubuntu-desktop).

somebody all ready beat you to it http://ubuntusatanic.org/news/

Tundro Walker
January 5th, 2008, 07:45 AM
From the stand-point of someone new trying to get into Linux, I can understand the OP's point. It's hard enough trying to figure out which Linux distro to use when there's tons of them. When you've been using Windows your whole life, you've been conditioned to think that there should be very few "versions", and versions start stripped down (basic) and work up to complex (premium).

When you hop into Linux with that mind-set, you get lost wading through tons of distros that all kinda do the same thing (provide the OS, desktop, apps, etc), but they're all going by different names. Then you find one like Ubuntu, because it's getting lots of press lately, and you get confused because not only is there K/X/Ubuntu, there's Mythbuntu, Gobuntu, EduBuntu, Christian Edtion, Media Edition, Ultimate Edition, Gamer's Edition... It's like sub-sets of a sub-set.

It can end up running off new Linux users, since it's just too complex for them.

After using distro's for a while, we all know they all have the same Linux foundation, but each supply their own tweakage, but the new Linux user doesn't know that, and it can add an extra layer of complexity that can prevent some folks from even taking the plunge.

ZapalacX
January 5th, 2008, 07:55 AM
somebody all ready beat you to it http://ubuntusatanic.org/news/

ummm.....](*,)