PDA

View Full Version : Time Tracking Solution (not just normal tracker!)

the ev
October 30th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Hey everybody,

I'm working in a computer support environment and looking for a time tracking solution (either local program or web-based alternative) to manage not only my time, but the time of my various employees who will need to clock in/out at different locations. Here's a list of things I'm looking for:

--> Ability to login from multiple, physical (limited) locations (so that users couldn't login simply where ever they have internet, thus ensuring that they're actually coming in to work)
--> Substitute system that integrates scheduling changes into the time clock (so that, as an administrator, I can see that an employee worked the hours they needed to, even if those hours differ from the schedule at the beginning of the week because they picked up sub requests, and such)
--> Scheduling system that will give a weekly overview of who's working when (so that I can see, at a glance, who is scheduled to work when)
--> Normal time clock functionality (so I can see who's currently working, not working...preferably from the locations mentioned in the first bulletin)
--> Multiple user accounts (just that employees can login themselves, without me logging them in personally)

That's the long and skinny of what I'm looking for. I haven't found any solutions yet on the net in my searching, and thought "Hey! Ubuntu Forums has a lot of bright, informed people...maybe I should ask there for ideas!"...thus, here I am.

As for operating systems, I'm flexible. If you know of any solution (regardless Linux, Windows, or Mac) that might fit the bill, please let me know!!

Currently we're using Virtual TimeClock Pro as my simple time clocking application (running on Mac); its central server functionality means that I can easily see who's logged in where at any TimeClock Pro workstation. For scheduling, I'm using WhenToWork.com, which provides comprehensive work shift scheduling for all my employees. And lastly, for sub-requests, I've tried using WhenToWork's TradeBoard system, but most employees still use email (distribution lists) which tend to be faster and more noticeable for inter-employee communication.

What I'd like is a solution that combines all three of these aspects into one, cohesive experience. It would make my job a whole lot easier as an administrator and would also help employees keep better track of who's got what shift, etc.

Thanks so much for your feedback!

soapyfish
December 11th, 2007, 02:27 PM
I am also looking for something along those line with very similar functionality,

if I find anything i will post it here too :D

snk00sj
June 5th, 2008, 11:07 PM
hi, i am one of the lead developers for a new project that is called 'trackmypeople'.

It is entirely free and webbased. At the same time it has a linux and widget applet allowing you to start/stop/pauze from your taskbar / or gnome panel.

Most of the features you are looking for are integrated. You can add teams/projects and assign users to different projects. There is a calendar overview for you to see who is working on what...

We are in beta/testing fase right now, but feel free to try it out and see if it does the job. We are kinda fast on the updates, so new suggestions/bugreports are handled pretty quick.

Go have a look at www.trackmypeople.com, during registration you will have the option to download a windows or linux client (at this moment gnome only). We have a .deb available

Kind regards,