PDA

View Full Version : NaNoWriMo?

Marquis_de_Carabas
October 30th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Just wondered if anybody else here is crazy enough to write a 175-page novel in 30 days? This is my first year attempting it and I'm looking forward to the challenge (and combining it with a degree and a bar job is going to make it a rather interesting challenge indeed!).

Check out http://www.nanowrimo.org for more info (the site's running a little slow at the moment with all the last-minute sign-ups, but patience is a virtue)

And if anybody in London is thinking about doing this, then come along to the kick-off party (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/1014622) tomorrow evening.

ticopelp
October 30th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Yes. This will be my fifth year participating. I've finished successfully the last three years.

Marquis_de_Carabas
October 31st, 2007, 05:08 PM
Congratulations! Any advice for a newbie?

petersjm
October 31st, 2007, 05:48 PM
God, No! This year I did UKAuthors' Write a novel in a year (Sept 06 - Aug 07) which I managed! Yay! But in a month?! No way, dude!

ticopelp
October 31st, 2007, 07:30 PM
Congratulations! Any advice for a newbie?

Um... regulate your blood sugar, write every day, don't waste too much time on the forums, remember that it's just a first draft and will almost certainly be crap no matter what you do, and don't get depressed if you fall behind.

Oh, and lots of coffee. :KS

Celegorm
October 31st, 2007, 08:19 PM
This'll be my first NaNoWriMo too. One of my friends got me interested in it last year, and I've been looking forward to it. It's going to be crazy though, I'm already busy enough with college.

petersjm
October 31st, 2007, 08:43 PM
Good luck guys! Don't know how you could ever manage to do it in a month!

ticopelp
October 31st, 2007, 08:51 PM
Good luck guys! Don't know how you could ever manage to do it in a month!

It's 50,000 words in a month, which is about 1,666 words a day -- really more novella-sized than anything. That, and it's just a first draft. The real work in any novel is the revision. First drafts are easy by comparison.

Thanks for the good luck wishes!

happy-and-lost
October 31st, 2007, 09:21 PM
It's tempting, it would probably do me a world of good as I struggle to put even a paragraph of fiction together at the moment.

petersjm
October 31st, 2007, 10:45 PM
I never knew there were so many budding authors on ubuntuforums.org! I don't feel so alone anymore! :D Now I don't mind revealing my website. You can check out my stories on the showcase page if you want... http://www.peterjmerrigan.co.uk/index.html (sorry for the shameless plug! LOL). Happy writing!

DarkOx
November 1st, 2007, 06:24 AM
I say this every year, but this is the year I'm gonna win, come hell or high water.

Out of curiosity, what's everyone using to write the thing? Open Office? Abiword? Vim?

ticopelp
November 1st, 2007, 06:57 PM
I never knew there were so many budding authors on ubuntuforums.org! I don't feel so alone anymore! :D Now I don't mind revealing my website. You can check out my stories on the showcase page if you want... http://www.peterjmerrigan.co.uk/index.html (sorry for the shameless plug! LOL). Happy writing!

Very cool. :D

Out of curiosity, what's everyone using to write the thing? Open Office? Abiword? Vim?

I'll just write in gedit or (funny enough) nano... the fewer distractions the better. I always end up fooling with formatting in office programs, rather than writing.

PlatoFunFactory
November 2nd, 2007, 06:40 PM
I didn't really expect to find a NaNoWriMo thread in these forums but I'm delighted nonetheless. I finished my novel in November last year and am excited about doing the same this year. Last year's was definitely crap with a few shiny parts that still make me happy. If I get the same this year, that's good enough for me.

In terms of software, so far I've used Google Docs through Firefox and Open Office. I have AbiWord installed on my Pentium II laptop, so that will probably get some use and, to be honest, it may even wind up on Word every once in a while. My novel is going to be very flexible.

Good luck to everyone!

jr.gotti
November 2nd, 2007, 07:27 PM
Hmm...perhaps not in a month, but I think writing would be a nice thing to do over the course of ... a while. I always liked writing in school...and was always told I should be a writer.

Maybe I'll see what kind of plot brainstorm I can come up with after a little herbal inspiration later tonight...

RyanthePenguin
November 1st, 2008, 04:19 AM
I figured there would be a thread for this here! I love these forums. I am embarking on this insane voyage for the first time tomorrow. I stripped down my Linux install to enable me to concentrate. I just need to get an alarm clock installed to tell me to take breaks and to ensure I don't get away from the computer too soon. I am hell bent on doing this... yet I am terrified of failing. Wish me luck!

4th guy
November 1st, 2008, 07:55 AM
I'm participating this year for the very first time. Wish me luck :)

yavez
November 1st, 2008, 08:57 AM
I'm in for this years bout. You can find my username in my sig, come on over and add me, so we can have an Ubuntu group. I also composed a little dity for those who are having troubles, you can find it in my NaNo blog, also in the sig.

Good luck to everyone.

Writing it all on OpenOffice3 Writer.