PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Frontend vs Backend?

idangazit
October 30th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm planning on setting up a MythTV box for my dad as a birthday gift, and have one question I can't seem to figure out an answer to:

The purpose of the machine is NOT to record and play back video.

That is to say, he won't be using the PVR functionality at all.

The goal is to give him an easy jukebox for all of his music, and a DVD player (although the latter is less critical). I've gotten him a nice remote control and want this box to boot into some GUI that is navigable entirely by the remote control. (Yes, I've checked that it's supported by LIRC).

Do I need to install both the frontend and the backend? The frontend only? Something other than MythTV?

Recommendations / Help most appreciated. Flames > /dev/null.

Thanks!

-I

RaZer0r
October 30th, 2007, 01:57 PM
yes you will have to install both frontend and backend... unless you run your backend on another machine....
I suggenst you search some myth howto on the net, google is your best friend ;)

idangazit
October 30th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Thanks Razer!

I've been all over the howtos (both ubuntu, mythbuntu, and the mythtv wiki), have yet to find a good plain-english answer to my question; almost everything assumes that if you are installing myth then you are doing so for the PVR functionality and the rest is "extra", whereas my use-case is a little different.

-I

reclusivemonkey
October 30th, 2007, 05:13 PM
MythTV might be overkill if you don't need the PVR functionality. I would look around at some of the simpler alternatives. JFGI ;-)