PDA

View Full Version : How To Develop A Website Using Ruby On Rails??

frietzieey
October 30th, 2007, 06:50 AM
could anyone please help me how to develop even just a simple website and has a database on it? .. all i did as of this moment was to install ruby-1.8.6, then rubygems-0.9.4, then rails (version is 1.2.5), and mysql (server), are these ok? because in synaptic their versions are ruby-1.9 then rubygems-0.9.5..(which is better? )and also im just recently using ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn. and lastly but most importantly, i don't know how to start my website application after finishing the installations.. im sorry if i seem to be in so much details.. please, i really need help!.. :confused::(

Tomosaur
October 30th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Your best options is to just 'read and do'. First you will need to learn the ins and outs of Ruby:
Ruby Website (http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/). Check the links on the right for tutorials and guides.

Next you will need to understand the RoR API: RoR Documentation (http://www.rubyonrails.org/docs)

Jumping into website development straight away may put you off, I would suggest you write some small programs first of all to make sure you understand the language.

SreckoMicic
October 30th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Just install ruby, right now you won't need any enchantments that ruby1.9 brings. Just install marked with ubuntu sign.
Then do what is told on previous post.

pmasiar
October 30th, 2007, 01:05 PM
If you want to learn how to do that, advice above is as good as free advice gets. If you are not interested in learning, you need to hire someome.

Ask for more help when you have specific problems.

frietzieey
October 31st, 2007, 01:29 AM
thank you so much for the help and encouragements! it's just that i seem to be disappointed for not getting this, i was so pressured because i only have little time learning this one.. but yes all of you are right i really need to understand ruby first, then its programs then all else will follow.. thanku very much!!