PDA

View Full Version : Hosting a project

aquavitae
October 30th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Can anyone suggest a good place to put my python project? I had a look at launchpad which uses bazaar, but bazaar seems complicated to set up (probably I just don't know what I'm doing!). Also I notice synaptic recommends installing csv or something instead of bazaar... Anyway, a gui would be nice :)

Btw I need something that will also work on windows - I do quite a bit of work at the office where we use windows.

loell
October 30th, 2007, 06:48 AM
i don't know which is simpler to use, but how about google code hosting?

aquavitae
October 30th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Thanks, I didn't know about that. I'll have a look.

David Albert
October 30th, 2007, 11:24 AM
You can upload all your files and projects to the place which gmail or hotmail or any other company
have given to you very easily.

aquavitae
October 30th, 2007, 01:52 PM
You can upload all your files and projects to the place which gmail or hotmail or any other company
have given to you very easily.
You mean to the documents section? Not quite what I want - I like the look of launchpad because it provides bug managment, FAQs, etc. Google looks ok, but not really quite as good (e.g. it looks like it doesn't support version managment)

Perhaps I should be asking how to use bazaar and just use lanuchpad...

carlosjuero
October 30th, 2007, 02:07 PM
There is always Sourceforge

aquavitae
October 30th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Sourceforge is kinda overloaded - and I often have problems downloading from it. That might just be my network, but it makes it difficult to work on it.

raja
October 30th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Google code does have version management (svn) and is fairly easy to set up and use. I would recommend that you try it.

dataw0lf
October 30th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Google Code beats out Sourceforge these days (Sourceforge has been crap for a while).

Or, alternatively, you could setup your own SVN server, + WebDAV (if you want it), and use TortoiseSVN from your Windows box at the office. TortoiseSVN is generally one of the best applications designed for the Windows platform, I highly recommend it.

hecato
October 30th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Perhaps I should be asking how to use bazaar and just use lanuchpad...https://launchpad.net/+about

The thing about launchpad is "complicated", because you can have your login /~user, then also you can do a "carpet" for your project, but you can also can have a team ;) /~TeamName(see that it have the ~ like a login name, but you actually can join a team, but not a login name ;)), people can join projects /ProjectName, people can join teams. If you want something more "easy" or less "estrange" I think google code is very easy to get on ;). IIRC you can also only host the questions, or the bug tracker IIRC... and the code in other place, you don't need to sync to it, in other words not all need to be in launchpad IIRC (thought don't know the exact combinations).

Also note the "extensions" /... for see the and be able to know the differences ;).

Acglaphotis
October 30th, 2007, 08:36 PM
+1 to google code.

AlexThomson_NZ
October 31st, 2007, 01:47 AM
I think it was kknd (thanks!) who introduced me to tuxfamily, and it is what I use for all my bits and peices now (hosts CVS, Web, FTP, etc.)

+1 for tuxfamily

aquavitae
October 31st, 2007, 06:20 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

I've been trying out launchpad again, and having a look at google and I have a couple of questions, if anyone can help?
1. I found out how to set up a bazaar branch in launchpad, but it seems like I have to be using linux to use it - i.e. when it asks about ssh. Is this correct?
2. On the google site there's a notice saying "Note: you have a lifetime creation limit of 10 projects in total. If you need more, please come to the google-code-hosting Google Group to discuss." Does this mean I can only ever host 10 projects on it?

aquavitae
November 12th, 2007, 07:50 AM
I found out how to set up a bazaar branch in launchpad, but it seems like I have to be using linux to use it - i.e. when it asks about ssh. Is this correct?
Still having problems with this...

Anyone know anything about tigris (http://www.tigris.org)? I found it while looking for something else.