PDA

View Full Version : Fun things to do with Linux?

Yarbo
October 30th, 2007, 03:51 AM
My definition of fun might not exactly be the same as most people, but bear with me ;-).

I am wondering what kind of fun little projects that I can use Linux for, or things I can do to just tinker and learn the OS.

For example, I recently followed the guide from the "Master Kernel Thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=311158)". I managed to complete the guide and compile my kernel, and I managed to learn a lot about the terminal this way. It wasn't as easy as the guide made it seem, I had a whole bunch of problems along the way. So I had to figure out what each problem was on my own (mostly), and how to fix it. If I knew what the problem was but didn't know how to fix it, I would would just use Google. Can't live without Google, they will take over the world some day.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun just figuring stuff out, but I had a goal, in this case recompiling my kernel to optimize it for my hardware. This is what made it so interesting I think.

So the point of all my ramblings, is I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for something I could delve into... One thing to keep in mind is that I don't code... not yet anyway. So anything like that I can't really get into yet. But any interesting or fun things I can install on linux and tinker around. Something that requires some work, but has a payoff.

Well thats enough rambling, thanks in advance.

-grubby
October 30th, 2007, 03:51 AM
compiz-fusion!

srt4play
October 30th, 2007, 03:55 AM
mythtv.

Yarbo
October 30th, 2007, 04:18 AM
The mythtv suggestion sounds interesting, but I am having a hard time playing video on linux. Its one of the single reasons I am keeping windows.

If someone can show me how to get x264 hdtv to work better then I am in.

runningwithscissors
October 30th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Been reading this because I need to better secure my machine:

http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/iptables-tutorial.html

Excellent tutorial.

RAV TUX
October 30th, 2007, 05:18 AM
My definition of fun might not exactly be the same as most people, but bear with me ;-).

I am wondering what kind of fun little projects that I can use Linux for, or things I can do to just tinker and learn the OS.

For example, I recently followed the guide from the "Master Kernel Thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=311158)". I managed to complete the guide and compile my kernel, and I managed to learn a lot about the terminal this way. It wasn't as easy as the guide made it seem, I had a whole bunch of problems along the way. So I had to figure out what each problem was on my own (mostly), and how to fix it. If I knew what the problem was but didn't know how to fix it, I would would just use Google. Can't live without Google, they will take over the world some day.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun just figuring stuff out, but I had a goal, in this case recompiling my kernel to optimize it for my hardware. This is what made it so interesting I think.

So the point of all my ramblings, is I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for something I could delve into... One thing to keep in mind is that I don't code... not yet anyway. So anything like that I can't really get into yet. But any interesting or fun things I can install on linux and tinker around. Something that requires some work, but has a payoff.

Well thats enough rambling, thanks in advance.

Compiling e17 CVS, and using e17 as your default session.

To install "enlightenment 17"(e17) CVS on (X,K)Ubuntu 7.04 & 7.10, follow Rui Pais (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=862)'s Guide: HOWTO: installation of E17 from CVS (UPDATED) (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=546746) and Enjoy!~RAV TUX

Also found in my signature. ;)

HermanAB
October 30th, 2007, 05:30 AM
I'd love to put a computer in a large trebuchet and shoot it with 12 bore while mid-air.

However, I think Windows would be more suitable for that than a Linux machine, unless maybe, if it is a RedHat Linux machine.

Mr. Picklesworth
October 30th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Setting up a flexible, secure, Internet-facing web / synchronization server!

I have no plans to start a home-grown hosting company, but I have a lot of fun finding a good, open-ended setup where I can add a new web user and have every service available to that user (as well as a subdomain) in record time. So far, my setup beats a lot of other hosts. (Not least because it uses SSH instead of bloody FTP)

3rdalbum
October 30th, 2007, 06:32 AM
I think you should get a tutorial on an easy programming language (like C# Mono or Python), and learn how to code.

Another thing you could try is creating Debian packages. Try compiling the program with interesting or bleeding-edge options (hint: type ./configure --help inside the source code directory to see all the fun options you can enable). Choose a program that you haven't seen a .deb for, and get the gratitude of the community!

JBAlaska
October 30th, 2007, 02:30 PM
I enjoy installing and configuring different distro's on a couple of older machines I have, and more importantly fixing them when they break rather than doing a re-install.

Even if it takes me way longer to fix something than it would to re-install, I find I learn allot more finding out what I messed up and figuring out how to fix it..

Yarbo
October 30th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Unfortunately I don't have a lot of old hardware lying around... Or I would.

srt4play
October 30th, 2007, 10:19 PM
The mythtv suggestion sounds interesting, but I am having a hard time playing video on linux. Its one of the single reasons I am keeping windows.

If someone can show me how to get x264 hdtv to work better then I am in.

What hardware are you using?

Yarbo
October 30th, 2007, 10:30 PM
What hardware are you using?

Intel Pentium D 3.0 ghz
Intel motherboard with the 945G chipset
EVGA GeForce 8800GTX PCI-E
Intel onboard audio High Definition Audio 8020g
2048 MB PC-5400 DDR2 667mhz

koleoptero
October 30th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Fun things to do with linux? Look for easter eggs :D

Yarbo
October 30th, 2007, 10:59 PM

Easter eggs are fun and all, but for the most part you do not learn too much about Linux by finding easter eggs.

I might be wrong tho, if it is helpful to find Easter Eggs, then please, let me know.

:)

tgrisier
October 30th, 2007, 11:00 PM

There are easter eggs? Care to share some?

koleoptero
October 30th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I don't remember any. Just the fish thingy. press alt+F2 and in the run dialog write free the fish and press enter.

Ioky
October 30th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Making Things Work and understand thing really word. In fact, make thing work better than any other OS such as window or Mac

tgrisier
October 31st, 2007, 01:36 AM
I don't remember any. Just the fish thingy. press alt+F2 and in the run dialog write free the fish and press enter.

That is too cool. Thanks.

Six_Digits
October 31st, 2007, 01:50 AM
I just like the learning curve and configuring all the goodies. I also like wowing people with the things a free OS can do.

happysmileman
October 31st, 2007, 03:09 AM
I'd say that if you have a spare comp, or even a spare partition, try Gentoo, or, if you want the challenge of MAKING it without actually planning to USE it, try LFS (you COULD use it, but it has no package manager unless you compile one, no way of updating other than manually downloading everything etc...)

srt4play
October 31st, 2007, 04:02 AM
Intel Pentium D 3.0 ghz
Intel motherboard with the 945G chipset
EVGA GeForce 8800GTX PCI-E
Intel onboard audio High Definition Audio 8020g
2048 MB PC-5400 DDR2 667mhz

I'll ask the obvious - have you installed the latest nvidia driver?

I use the mplayer package from getdeb.net (it has improved x264 support) and smplayer on top of that for a nice gui. My mythtv box uses intel 945 graphics, with a 1.8GHz core 2 duo and 1GB of RAM. It plays x264 HD perfectly.

Yarbo
October 31st, 2007, 04:27 AM
Yes, I have installed the latest driver. It might be worth noting that I am attempting to play high-definition content. Ranging from 720p to 1080p.

The 720p plays fine for the most part in VLC, it stutters a little bit sometimes. But 1080i and 1080p are unwatchable. In Vista, which is what I dual boot with, everything I try to play works fine.

I'll ask the obvious - have you installed the latest nvidia driver?

I use the mplayer package from getdeb.net (it has improved x264 support) and smplayer on top of that for a nice gui. My mythtv box uses intel 945 graphics, with a 1.8GHz core 2 duo and 1GB of RAM. It plays x264 HD perfectly.

multifaceted
October 31st, 2007, 04:54 AM
I enjoy installing and configuring different distro's on a couple of older machines I have, and more importantly fixing them when they break rather than doing a re-install.

Even if it takes me way longer to fix something than it would to re-install, I find I learn allot more finding out what I messed up and figuring out how to fix it..

Ahhh, you beat me! :)

I find the same thing fun too. I have risen every old machine in my house from the dead with a Linux install. It's just fun getting things to work or, if you can't at first... then figuring out another way is always a fun challenge. That's just with other distros however...

srt4play
October 31st, 2007, 11:10 PM
Yes, I have installed the latest driver. It might be worth noting that I am attempting to play high-definition content. Ranging from 720p to 1080p.

The 720p plays fine for the most part in VLC, it stutters a little bit sometimes. But 1080i and 1080p are unwatchable. In Vista, which is what I dual boot with, everything I try to play works fine.

I was replying with your inability to play HD video in mind, and am curious why you cannot since as I stated before my system with a much much weaker graphics card handles any HD I throw at it flawlessly.

By unwatchable, what do you mean specifically? As I stated before you might try the version of mplayer found on getdeb.net and then install smplayer on top of that, then test again. The combination of those two programs is what I've found to work the best.

Yarbo
November 1st, 2007, 05:41 PM
I'm not sure why I lower performance. I suspect something is not configured properly. I have been using VLC for video playback.

I will try to get mplayer for the site you suggested.

The main problem really when watching video is that it drops a lot of frames for some reason. I have never had that problem with Windows. Now I am not saying I want to switch back.

If this can be resolved in Linux, then thats the way I wanna go.

toupeiro
November 2nd, 2007, 08:53 AM
I enjoy having having an OS that doesn't take more work to keep it running and secure than it does to actually use it for something productive.

nowshining
November 2nd, 2007, 11:40 AM
opening up a virtualbox and running a windows version unpatched on the net and watch the hackers hack it. :) or worms worm on it, etc..

holiday
November 4th, 2007, 01:10 AM
It's very easy to schedule events in Ubuntu.

Try this:

$ ls /etc/ | grep cron

And explore.

A simple backup routine using tar and gzip. A fam on your /etc directory to update configuration changes to your svn.

Set up an IMAP server to which all your accounts forward - So you'll know no matter where you are if you've replied to that message you're not quite sure you did.

Maybe you've come across these things already. You are accomplished. Not many Ubuntu users have done what you have done.

Congratulations.