PDA

View Full Version : Need an external hard drive. Advice?

FRuMMaGe
October 30th, 2007, 02:52 AM
I have about 30GB of space left on my 160GB laptop harddrive. I have just bought an iPod video so I have been systematically ripping all my cd's and dvd's to it. Obviously I need more memory.

What is the best brand to get? Also, what is the best quality/cost ratio I should go for?

I would like at least 500GB

FRuMMaGe
October 30th, 2007, 03:02 AM
I've got my eye on this one:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?FRE-28604

In the reviews people are saying it works with linux. Should I go for it?

FRuMMaGe
October 30th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Also, should I leave it as FAT32, or format it to ext3 or reiserfs?

x0as
October 30th, 2007, 03:09 AM
Personally I wont use anything but Seagate drives because of the 5 year warranty, most external drives only have 1 or 2 year warranties.

I reformatted mine ext3 because some of the files I store are over the size limit for fat32.

blithen
October 30th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Personally I would format it to Reiserfs. But that's me. And that's a damn good price for the size. I would get it if I needed one.
The reason I would format it to Reiserfs is 'cause I find it to be a really fast, and stable Filing System. if I could I would use only Reiserfs for my primary HDD, but for my extra internal drives I use it.

-grubby
October 30th, 2007, 03:12 AM
Obviously I need more memory.

Hard drive space! That annoys me to no end. sorry if I sounded rude....but back to the topic, I've heard only good things about Seagate drives. I also would NOT format it to Fat32 unless you have to share documents with Windows

FRuMMaGe
October 30th, 2007, 03:18 AM
Hard drive space! That annoys me to no end. sorry if I sounded rude....but back to the topic, I've heard only good things about Seagate drives. I also would NOT format it to Fat32 unless you have to share documents with Windows

Sorry about "memory". At 4am I am allowed to make mistakes :)

I wouldn't format it to FAT32, but it already comes in that format. So I shold definately reformat it to ext3 then?

SunnyRabbiera
October 30th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Yeh seagate is a great bet, they dont really use anything that restricts people from unix based systems on them.

southernman
October 30th, 2007, 03:30 AM
I've got my eye on a Seagate FreeAgent. BestBuy just had them (250GB) last week for 79 bucks.

shamusl
October 30th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Why don't you just get an internal hard drive (seagate) and get a 30 dollar enclosure, if money is an issue i would do that, just me though and EXT3 all the way (no fragmenting)