PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu forum server attacks. Come on guys...WTF

byen
August 25th, 2005, 03:58 AM
The server seems to be a target of some DOS attacks. We are working to block this situation with our provider.

wow... to think that some knuckle head has nothing to do but to fiddle with a community forum that does nothing but help people.... talk about F'ed priorities.

Ride Jib
August 25th, 2005, 04:17 AM
is that the case, or is it that someone posted a link to a forum topic on slashdot....

I'm sure this thread was meant to be a reply to some other post, no?

skoal
August 25th, 2005, 04:24 AM
All is fair in love and war, and turnabout is fair play. I say we link a /. article here...

muahahah...

Yeah, I couldn't read these forums half the day as well. On the upside, because of it, I actually saw the sun for the first time in a long while. Dang, it burns. It buuuurns...

\\//_

byen
August 25th, 2005, 04:25 AM
is that the case, or is it that someone posted a link to a forum topic on slashdot....

I'm sure this thread was meant to be a reply to some other post, no?
nope. saw this on the site announcement link and thought it sucked that a community forum was being attacked...thats all!

ZephyrXero
August 25th, 2005, 04:36 AM
Yeah, has anyone else been having trouble connecting to the Backports repositories as a result too? I keep getting some kind of GPG error message...

ubuntu-geek
August 25th, 2005, 04:42 AM
Yeah it was really disapointing to see it happen, I knew it would happen it was just a matter of time. We made it 10 months without any issues though :)

Someone else pointed out the /.ing article but I dont think the traffic from that could have created the massive bandwidth storm we had.

skoal
August 25th, 2005, 05:05 AM
DoS? How profound and ironic. I never could run the services I _wanted_ to in DOS 6.0...

\\//_

blastus
August 25th, 2005, 05:13 AM
Microsoft agents I tell you, Microsoft agents are responsible. :razz:

drizek
August 25th, 2005, 05:13 AM
can someone post a link to the /. article? i cant find anything that has to do with ubuntu.

matthew
August 25th, 2005, 05:34 AM
can someone post a link to the /. article? i cant find anything that has to do with ubuntu.
It's in this thread: http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/08/24/160208
In the post titled: Ubuntu + E17

kanem
August 25th, 2005, 05:45 AM
It's in this thread: http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/08/24/160208
In the post titled: Ubuntu + E17I think the problems with the site started before that article. I remember reading this post (before it was modded +5) and being surprised that the link actually got me to UbuntuForums since it had been down earlier.

I guess ubuntugeek knows if the attack started before 3pm EST (time of the /. article)

endy
August 25th, 2005, 05:58 AM
I'm pretty sure the forums were slow or non responsive for me before that slashdot article was posted, I just assumed a forum upgrade was goin on and I missed the announcement. Really sucks that it got DDoSed, I wonder who did it and why :S

sapo
August 25th, 2005, 07:42 AM
I'm pretty sure the forums were slow or non responsive for me before that slashdot article was posted, I just assumed a forum upgrade was goin on and I missed the announcement. Really sucks that it got DDoSed, I wonder who did it and why :S
Microsoft is finally makings its move :D

tseliot
August 25th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Empty

transactionlogfiller
August 25th, 2005, 11:16 AM

Let's see if we can "ubuntuforum" the slashdot site :)

Brunellus
August 25th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Let's see if we can "ubuntuforum" the slashdot site :)

what, overwhelm it with "Ubuntu!=windows" threads?

earobinson
August 25th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Back when i was uing fedora something like this happened to the fedora forums. Im not sure who would target such a site maybe it was random, but i would like more info on what happened.

izmaelis
August 25th, 2005, 02:18 PM
I remember me using Gentoo Linux. I remember my browser not opening their forum for a few days because of DoS too.
...oh those were ugly days, my friends. I can't understand the idea of breaking something, making it to stop working properly.

byen
August 25th, 2005, 03:25 PM
yeah! tell me about it....Doing it to a leach org. I can understand....but a community forum?..what next ...the red cross? as I said before .....this has to be a classic example of people with F'ed priorities.

PS- sorry if i sound harsh...but im kinda pissed.

Brunellus
August 25th, 2005, 03:29 PM
yeah! tell me about it....Doing it to a leach org. I can understand....but a community forum?..what next ...the red cross? as I said before .....this has to be a classic example of people with F'ed priorities.

PS- sorry if i sound harsh...but im kinda pissed.
dude, relax.

The ddos was actually a slashdotting, because of a link to poofyhairguy's enlightened gnome howto.

tseliot
August 25th, 2005, 03:34 PM
dude, relax.

The ddos was actually a slashdotting, because of a link to poofyhairguy's enlightened gnome howto.
Could you explain what a "slashdotting" is, please?

dcraven
August 25th, 2005, 03:58 PM
I hope hackers' motherboards and harddisks melt down (together with their ballocks if they have them). Sorry but I'm very angry. Yesterday I was afraid of losing the Forum.

If "hackers'" motherboards and harddisks melted, you wouldn't have an OS to run right now at all.

~djc

tseliot
August 25th, 2005, 04:09 PM
If "hackers'" motherboards and harddisks melted, you wouldn't have an OS to run right now at all.

~djc
Of course I meant the hackers who attacked the forum. I'm not against good hackers.

Brunellus
August 25th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Could you explain what a "slashdotting" is, please?

http://slashdot.org has a huge readership, which likes following links, especially if the links are interesting (and not, say, goatse.cx)

Thus, when poofy posted a link to his enlightened gnome howto, thousands of slashdot readers immediately went CLICKY!

The resulting spike in traffic is an effective ddos--but it is accidental rather than malicious.

thus: chill out. Ubuntu was just vicimized by fame.

tseliot
August 25th, 2005, 04:18 PM
http://slashdot.org has a huge readership, which likes following links, especially if the links are interesting (and not, say, goatse.cx)

Thus, when poofy posted a link to his enlightened gnome howto, thousands of slashdot readers immediately went CLICKY!

The resulting spike in traffic is an effective ddos--but it is accidental rather than malicious.

Ok, thanks now everything's clear.

byen
August 25th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Ok, thanks now everything's clear.
always heard the notion "fame can sometimes be bad"...guess this is the first time ive seen it happen to me.....lol...i mean effect me.

PS- but talking abt "poofy". he did do a great job with that howto. helped me a out bigtime (thanks)

KingBahamut
August 25th, 2005, 04:27 PM
All is fair in love and war, and turnabout is fair play. I say we link a /. article here...

muahahah...

Yeah, I couldn't read these forums half the day as well. On the upside, because of it, I actually saw the sun for the first time in a long while. Dang, it burns. It buuuurns...

\\//_

I wonder if we have enough to hit Slashdot....that would take a lot of people at once.

Skoal, the sun is bad, dont go near it....dont touch it dont look at it. Morlockian Monitor light is just fine.

=)

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/08/24/235233&tid=120&tid=123&tid=17

quick everyone jump on this AOL /. article.

endy
August 25th, 2005, 05:21 PM

My mistake then, I could have sworn it happened before. Nevermind, I guess I'll never be much good for any eye witnessing :)

KingBahamut
August 25th, 2005, 05:24 PM

Brun, theres nothing wrong with the Goatse....Long live the Goatse.

This link proves it.

The 8 stages of the Goaste.

http://www.the-elite.net/ClarkPage/Phases/

skoal
August 25th, 2005, 05:26 PM
[...] ...dont touch it dont look at it. Morlockian Monitor light is just fine. [...]
Morlockian Monitor light? I think I remember that from an episode of 'Land of the Lost'. Isn't that when Cha-ka and Holly had a tough decision to make? As they stared at the Morlock portal showing them scenes from their homeworld, instead of going through, they took the purple cave crystal and shined it at the sleestack's eyes, temporarily blinding it so they could escape. I remember now...

muahahaha...

\\//_

KingBahamut
August 25th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Hmmm...no...but you know I heard about the movie coming out. No Cha-Ka, and the way they end up in the Land is totally different.

SleeStack have been totally changed too, its sad.

Where's Sigmund the Seamonster when you need him.