PDA

View Full Version : Mandrake Suse etc? the newbie option?!

andy_sp1ke
November 24th, 2004, 01:44 AM
Ok, I have used linux for a while now and am getting the hang of it pretty well. This evening I was bored and decided to muck around a bit and so i fished out a copy of Mandrake 10.1 and installed it....i have used it before....and found that it was a bit to overly simplistic and annoying in a way. I tried SUSE and it installed quickly and easily but looked pretty rubbish. I thought about how easy it was to update my system on Ubuntu and how simple things were and realised that it is clearly better than all the rest ;) so i'm currently reburning a CD and putting it back! Anyone new to linux should just download Ubuntu and look on these forums as so far everything is pretty straight forward!! Much more so than the commercially run distros in my view, what do other people think?

Andy

BWF89
November 24th, 2004, 01:46 AM
When chooseing a distro it's a good idea to choose one who has a good forum and friendly people...

Looks at Ubuntu forums :D

Looks at Ubuntu IRC chat :mrgreen:

Glances over at MEPIS's forums :cry:

andy_sp1ke
November 24th, 2004, 01:49 AM
I was looking at MEPIS and tempted to try it out but I think i prefer GNOME over KDE so Ubuntu is most sensible. KDE is becoming a bit cluttered, at least when i instaleld it under ubuntu it looked ok just not very together and SUSE looked naff.

What reasons are there to use SUSE or Mandrake (and others!). I liked FDC2 but when i looked at downloading it found there were several ISO images. I like that Ubuntu and small distros are kept small and efficient.

andy

poptones
November 24th, 2004, 02:09 AM
Looks at Ubuntu forums :D

Looks at Ubuntu IRC chat :mrgreen:

OK, I don't get it. I have never been able to get GAIM to work on the ubuntu IRC. Everything I see says "just enter a username, no password,m and connect."

MSN works. AOL works. Yahoo works. But all I ever get when I try to look in on the server where ubuntu's chat is, all I get is a "connecting" window that never goes away.

Pretty ironic, considering everything else about this distribution has been so exceptionally great. Any idea why this thing won't connect?

robroy911
November 25th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Having tried quite a few distros (Redhat, mandrake, debian, SuSe, Fedora Core, Slackware, knoppix and now ubuntu.) I would have to say that once you get past the hard disk partitioning ubuntu is the easiest linux distro to install, update, configure. I am converted. I can login with a gnome session or a kde session. I would recomend this disto to anyone.

Jspired
November 26th, 2004, 03:47 AM
I've tried and used all of the distros you mentioned, along with a few others. I liked Mepis too, but KDE is far to cluttered for my liking! Ubuntu just seems to "fit" me.