PDA

View Full Version : Is there any difference between Unix network programming and Linux network programmin

fyplinux
October 30th, 2007, 12:29 AM
HI,

I found a book named <unix network programming>, but I am working under Ubuntu, I am wondering whether this book could guide me to program in Ubuntu?

Is there any difference between Unix network programming and Linux network programming? if so, does that mean I cannot use this book?

Regards.

Chickencha
October 30th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Short answer: yes, the book is probably fine.

Long answer: I'm no expert on the subject of network programming, but in general any programming resource that says it applies to Unix will also apply to Linux. There are probably some exceptions (and you'd have to look up the specifics of what they are), but usually you can assume compatibility. I wouldn't be too surprised if the topic is addressed in the book somewhere. You might take a look.

dwhitney67
October 30th, 2007, 08:52 AM
I recall (in the ol' days) that under Solaris I had to link C/C++ programs with the socket library; under Linux I do not. Hence the reason why Makefiles (and configuration scripts) are useful.

slavik
October 30th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Don't take the information in the book for granted, double check on it through man pages.

example:
bzero is deprecated in Linux (might not be there anymore at all), not so on Solaris.

fyplinux
October 30th, 2007, 08:53 PM
This book introduces Berkeley Sockets, which is the same architecture with Linux. From this point, it might be a guideline, in fact, I found the content is similar to the man page.

slavik
October 30th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I'm just saying that you should double check some stuff when coding. A professor told me that when she was teaching Unix workstation programming, they used Solaris systems and wanted to try out Linux. The Linux version of the code didn't work at all, because most of the system calls were stubs (returned successfully but didn't do anything). This was in 1995.

AlexThomson_NZ
October 31st, 2007, 01:23 AM
I'm not sure how useful the book is off-hand- I am sure a lot of the theory and terminology is right, but as has been mentioned, some of the implementation may have changed over time. Luckily, Linux network programming is well documented on the www, and there are lots of simple tutorials, etc. to follow.

Here's a good starting point: http://beej.us/guide/bgnet/output/html/multipage/index.html

KCPokes
October 31st, 2007, 01:56 AM
Take a look at the copyright of the book. If the book is older, then keep an open mind that the fundamentals may be the same but the implementation of said fundamentals may have changed. Much is going to be determined at what level you are diving into. Basic IP configuration, conceptually, hasn't changed in years, but commands/utilities tend to deprecate and change.

slavik
October 31st, 2007, 04:46 AM
Take a look at the copyright of the book. If the book is older, then keep an open mind that the fundamentals may be the same but the implementation of said fundamentals may have changed. Much is going to be determined at what level you are diving into. Basic IP configuration, conceptually, hasn't changed in years, but commands/utilities tend to deprecate and change.
and order of arguments ;)