PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Goods: Merchandise Mania seem rather Amateur!!!!!

OzzyFrank
October 30th, 2007, 12:27 AM
I have to say, I've never seen an online company as pathetic as the one handling Ubuntu's official merchandise, Merchandise Mania in the UK. OK, so maybe I should have enquired when the 2nd confirmation email didn't show up "shortly", but after ordering and receiving the first one, I assumed all was OK. Anyway, 3 weeks later I decided it didn't look like anything was happening, even though I had the amount deducted from my credit card pretty much instantly.

So it turns out that while my shopping cart had been processed and the total amount deducted from my credit card, they had not received my order. Which is weird as my first confirmation listed the goods as well as acknowledged payment. They've refunded my payment, but this has cost me a few bucks in credit card fees and conversion from AU$.

I don't mind starting all over again (even though it would be a bit of a pain, to tell you the truth), but if it means losing more in fees and basically with no other outcome but wasting my time, I have to admit I could do without it. I'd love to spread the word more by being in public with my Ubuntu apparel, and to of course help its makers with the commission they'd receive, but now admit I probably won't be going back. As one can see, this means less for Canonical/Ubuntu, in money and exposure, which is unfortunate.

Ireclan
October 30th, 2007, 12:29 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. Hopefully this is not how things normally go.

OzzyFrank
November 1st, 2007, 01:27 AM
I emailed back the company and asked if this sort of thing is likely to happen again, since I don't want to waste more fees (besides the time and frustration). They've yet to dignify my query with an answer. So much for all that money I had tried to spend on Ubuntu merchandise! (Hey, I did try and support Ubuntu financially, even though I could be spending my money on other things at the moment!).

OzzyFrank
November 17th, 2007, 01:50 AM
I ended up getting a reply eventually and it was that I should let the web pages finish loading to ensure that the order goes through (which I assume I had done the first time, since the company that billed me on their behalf sent a receipt, hehe). Anyway, decided to try again, and at first looked like I was gonna have the same hassle, as the 2nd confirmation email is supposed to come "very shortly" but actually took a few hours.

Delivery was pretty quick from the UK to Australia. The merchandise looks good enough. The backpack/day-bag isn't too flimsy, and the logo is embroidered (likewise on the baseball cap, which seems to be fairly good quality). The cup/mug is of medium quality/thickness, but mine came with a chip which had obviously happened before transit. I emailed them about this and the reply was a confirmation that a replacement mug was being shipped.

So, I would recommend this company and their Ubuntu merchandise, but would of course suggest that if you haven't got a 2nd confirmation email within a day of buying, email Merchandise Mania and tell them.

whalebus
November 29th, 2007, 05:07 PM
I ordered a few items for shipment to California. Everything went smoothly. I chose the least expensive shipping, about 20$ US, and it arrived in exactly two weeks. I purchased:

Gutsy Gibbon T-shirt: nice design, really like it and nice quality print.
Hoody: Not my favorite brand, but it's my post-running jacket.
USB stick: it works.
Stickers: generous quantity, good conversation starter.

Overall, I am very satisfied.

Merchandise Mania is no Amazon, but they get the job done.

luvdemheels
November 29th, 2007, 05:51 PM
I ordered an ubuntu polo shirt that I wear to work sometimes a while back and everything went fine for me.

OzzyFrank
November 30th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Yes, I like my mug, and it is actually quite a decent size, and holds more than my others. I'll use the first one I got with the chip as a pen holder, hehe. And I've already been called a "geek" for sporting my Ubuntu bag out in public, hehe! The pens look quite cool too. I also got the lanyard and a pack of stickers. As mentioned earlier, the baseball cap is quite good, and not one of those really flimsy pieces of crud you often get.

Ludwik
December 4th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Wow, the same thing happened to me. I placed the order, got the confirmation, my credit card was charged. After three weeks I contacted them only to be informed that they never got my order (they got the credit card payment, with all my contact data, including e-mail, though. Why haven't they contacted me?), and that I should got not one, but two confirmations, and that the next time I should wait for the webpage to finish loading (I did the first time). They canceled my payment and asked me to place it one more time. They didn't apologize or offer any discount.
I got my order only two days after placing the second order (I live in Poland) and I'm very happy with it, especially with the brown hoody. They should handle the previous situation better, though.

PS: They are the same people that handle the Google European store.

ger_mulvey
January 24th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I wanted a Lanyard so setup an account.
Found the Lanyard was €1.88 and €7.39 to post it. Needless to say I won't be bothering. The postage rate is ridiculous. Especially as dabs.ie can post for €5.00 for a graphics card!!

inversekinetix
January 25th, 2008, 05:38 AM
were are the products manufactured? I'd be interested to know whether or not they are made in poorer parts of the world or not.