PDA

View Full Version : Do not add more proprietary software

drascus
October 29th, 2007, 08:08 PM
This week I was reading the ubuntu news and one article suggested that ubuntu needed to add more proprietary software in order to compete with other OS's. I think that this is a terrible idea. There is already to much proprietary software on Ubuntu by default. The Wonderful thing about Ubuntu is that we finally have an easy to use platform in which to put pressure on the industry to move away from proprietary software. Why would we put the shackles back on by asking for more? The goal should be to replace the packages on the system that are currently proprietary with ones which are free that do the same work. In other words to pressure the industry to become free and open source software so that we can operate our computers in freedom.

macogw
October 29th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I think they probably meant to try to pressure software companies (like gaming companies or Adobe) to release Linux versions of their software

SunnyRabbiera
October 29th, 2007, 08:18 PM
well it really depends as I know Ubuntu does package things like certain proprietary drivers in the repo's and junk but this is mainly for transition, plus there is the media repos.
The thing is that if a distribution does opt for a balance between free and nonfree then its their priority.
If you are one of those hardcore FSF freaks then just dont use ubuntu, debian works just as well.

macogw
October 29th, 2007, 08:33 PM
well it really depends as I know Ubuntu does package things like certain proprietary drivers in the repo's and junk but this is mainly for transition, plus there is the media repos.
The thing is that if a distribution does opt for a balance between free and nonfree then its their priority.
If you are one of those hardcore FSF freaks then just dont use ubuntu, debian works just as well.

aw don't call them freaks. and i think you mean GNewSense. Debian has that stuff packaged too. If they didn't, I wouldn't have wireless when I use Debian.

Incense
October 29th, 2007, 08:37 PM
You don't want prop software, run gobuntu.

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/gobuntu

drascus
October 29th, 2007, 11:22 PM
It really won't help us in the long run if companies release gnu/linux versions because we won't be able to maintain it. We will have to trust that they can release a version without bugs (impossible) and that they will fix it for us (never in a good time frame) if there is any. So we shouldn't force them to make a gnu/linux version we should force them to make a free/open software version for gnu/linux. besides if its not free/open we can't tell if there is malicious features like back doors and such in the programming. That could seriously impair the security of our OS.