PDA

View Full Version : Finally give up

Richardinel
October 23rd, 2007, 05:34 PM
I hate windoze, but this will be the os of choice for many centuries, Linux is way to clunky, it cannot perform a simplistic set of tasks easily. I have spent literally the last 48 hours trying to get a machine up, to work in a manner that is acceptable.

The "help" in 7.1 actually describes moves that no longer exist!, assistance from this forum is not for beginners with Linux and often assumes a certain Linux literacy ?, hello, I am a beginner with Linux and need to be told or shown where the Terminal window is, for example. No need to show off, we know you know what your doing, or at least we hope so.

Solutions given are complex sometimes and they need not be, the problem being, is that the assistance can come from someone who does not even know the OS well. For example, I needed certain directories (shortcuts) from a windoze network on the desktop and was given a complex set of code ? (why you cant just drag these and have an option to create a shortcut on the desktop is beyond me) , I discovered though, that by simply dragging them to the bottom bar and then dragging from there, to the desktop worked, I then deleted the shortcut on the bottom bar.

Remember most users come from a windoze background and if you are trying to attract people away from windoze, some of the basic familiar tasks are needed, surely, unless of course, the object is to remain an "elite" minority of Linux users.

Why for example cant one simply drag and drop ?, why is it so hard to add a ttf font ? and don't say its a windows font, because MANY people need a particular font for a letterhead for example and most of us unfortunately come from a windows background.

The graphics programs wont show thumbnails of jpg photographs sitting on a windoze machine on the network but will show the full picture ?.

My graphics capabilities for the monitor are far from adequate but i cant seem to get a linux driver for the on board I have.

The list goes on, I promised myself I would give it a week, but the frustration level after only two days is taking its toll. I simply do not have the time professionally or socially.

Most of you will throw your hands up in horror, at this post, but this is the truth from an experienced computer user, who has been with computers for 20 years has authored web sites and the like and has never used IE other than to check a web site authored. I am an ardent Mozilla supporter and have been with Netscape since its inception and currently use Sea Monkey.

I built a new machine for this exercise. The transition needs to be simpler or M$ will remain on top.

rickycodie
October 23rd, 2007, 05:44 PM
linux is easier, when prepaired for properly. did you check your hardware for compatibilty? it's really the first step in building any machine.

also i saw that this is your one of your first posts. if you need that level of help, maybe you should explain that and you would recieve more experience appropriate help.

evilregis
October 23rd, 2007, 05:47 PM
Instead of rattling off a list of a half-dozen things that you want to do or don't work how about you start one at a time.

People use the command-line (terminal) because it's just easier. There's no room for error. If it works, it works. If you're curious WHY it works, they'll be more than happy to explain it. If it doesn't work, give them useful information to work with.

Look at some of these threads. There are threads 11 pages long of people trying to sort out a problem. Some are easy and some are not but the community is more than willing to lend a hand.

Linux is not Windows. Nor should it be. Installing Ubuntu (or any other flavour of Linunx) means that you will have to accept the fact that you will have to learn some new tricks.

So instead of giving up, take a day off. Don't touch the box. Figure out what order you'd like to work on things, come in and ask and see what we can do. You'll probably learn a lot more that way rather than having a heap of solutions thrown at you at once.

Good luck in whichever you choose.

overdrank
October 23rd, 2007, 05:49 PM
Hi and I understand your frustration. When I first started with ubuntu it was very hard for me to understand. I don't believe you can learn a OS in a week because it took me years to feel like I could do anything I wanted in windows. I dual booted at first because I had to have things for work and as soon as those issues were solved then the switch became easy. I believe if you just take it slow and read the documentation and use the forums you will satisfied. Good luck!

kellemes
October 23rd, 2007, 05:50 PM
Sorry my friend.. you haven't had a taste of GNU/Linux yet. :popcorn:
Ubuntu is one of the most idiot-proof distro's around.. but it's not Windows, lets celebrate.
It's a totally different environment.

Just interested, why do you hate Windows? What brings you to Ubuntu?

ravenus
October 23rd, 2007, 05:50 PM
And drag & drop works. It didn't work before 7.10 but it does now :)

LaRoza
October 23rd, 2007, 05:53 PM
It is interesting how first impressions lead to strong emotions, when logically, one should reserve judgement.

I recently responded to someone who loved linux as a first time user, because it installed so easy, looked great, and detected all hardware.

If you have technicaly problems, post the computers specs, what the problem is, any error messages you get, and other important information, and someone will help.

If you feel you aren't ready to completely switch, or want to experiment without installing (and have enough RAM) get VirtualBox so you can use other OS's in Windows, without installing.

As for the users, many users who use Linux do NOT have a Windows background. Many come from a long line of Unix based OS's and don't have experience on Windows. Windows leapt in to the market while Unix was already mature and other OS's had good GUI's (which MS copied). MS just does good marketing, they are in reality a fringe of computer history, although a very visible one.

rickycodie
October 23rd, 2007, 05:54 PM
i looked at your previous threads and it looks like you need to give them more time and a more detailed explanation of the problems. also one problem per thread is preferrable, although i haven't always lived by that rule. i think that your longest thread had six responces, if you need awnsers that quickly, cononical can give you professional help, we here are not meant to be professionals, only people that think they we know what we are doing ;)

ebeckhusen
October 23rd, 2007, 05:55 PM
I'm kind of new to Linux myself, though I had tried it various times years ago. I just wanted to encourage you to give it a chance. I was frustrated with a number of things when I first installed, but between reading the forums and researching other websites I've managed to get everything done that I needed to do.

Yes, sometimes the help on here can be a little too technical for a brand-new user with no prior experience. But if you come back and ask about the things you don't know, they will be more than willing to help you.

Right now it is a little difficult to do some of the things you can do in Windows, but things have consistently been getting easier. Way back when I first tried Linux, you basically had to configure everything for yourself, nothing (or just about nothing) was automatically detected. So that is one big step that makes Linux a little more familiar to Windows users, and I'm sure there will be many more.

Again, please give it more of a chance. I only installed a few days ago, but already I can't imagine going back to Windows.

kellemes
October 23rd, 2007, 06:04 PM
I'm kind of new to Linux myself, though I had tried it various times years ago. I just wanted to encourage you to give it a chance. I was frustrated with a number of things when I first installed, but between reading the forums and researching other websites I've managed to get everything done that I needed to do.

Yes, sometimes the help on here can be a little too technical for a brand-new user with no prior experience. But if you come back and ask about the things you don't know, they will be more than willing to help you.

Right now it is a little difficult to do some of the things you can do in Windows, but things have consistently been getting easier. Way back when I first tried Linux, you basically had to configure everything for yourself, nothing (or just about nothing) was automatically detected. So that is one big step that makes Linux a little more familiar to Windows users, and I'm sure there will be many more.

Again, please give it more of a chance. I only installed a few days ago, but already I can't imagine going back to Windows.

Very positive post, great attitude, welcome to GNU/Linux. :)

Richardinel
October 24th, 2007, 08:49 AM
I have read the comments, I have the Ubuntu machine running parallel to my xp machine (two machines on the desk) as down time is simply not an option for me at work.

I need to get the basics working before I can use the Ubuntu machine full time, at which point, the xp machine would be removed.

Primarily, I have a 7 machine network, my work station is the first Linux machine, communication/sharing with the network, unfortunately, is essential, which seems for now, to be working. I have an xp pro file server with my photographs and data on, these need to be shared with other users.

Essentially, I have several issues some of which I have already described some not, just to run adequately.

The three most pressing issues for me are as follows:

Right now I have a problem with installing an essential font BrushscriptMT, my Open Office template requires this font. I have tried various, "fixes" found, but they do not seem to work.

I cant "mount" my NTFS USB HDD ? but have no problem with the Flash Drive ?. This HDD is used to carry data between clients and home and is needed.

I need a programme like ACDSee, where over a windows network, photographs can be manipulated and then attached to an OO document locally. I have tried some of the recommended replacements, but they are far from ACDSee and they appear to have problems working off the network, although the files are only jpg.

Ohh... I cant seem to assign an IP address and I cant get my Netscape email address working either.

Your help is appreciated, my original post was as a result of serious frustration, after many many hours of work trying to do simple stuff, I know windows inside out and can deal with most issues that arise with it, to now not having a clue with Ubuntu.

K.Mandla
October 24th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Moved to Testimonials and Experiences. ;)

maxxym
October 24th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I am sorry to hear your frustrations... but really, you NEED to give it more time. You can't tell me that you knew how to use your very first Windows computer on first day...

Linux IS NOT WINDOWS. Please stop comparing the two. Linux is different.

I been working with Microsoft my whole life...did the certs thing...and doing it for a living...

Now, I switched to Linux. I LOVE it. You will too if you give it some time.

Ask questions...use google...things will work and before you know, you will be getting around the OS without problems.. How about downloading few ebooks? I know that helped me...

I am coming up to week 2 with Linux as my primary OS. I got rid of windows completely.. both on my work laptop and my home desktop. I couldn't be happier... everything works...and the software choices you have is HUGE. I even managed to install Office 2003 and Quicken 2007 on my box.

Take a deep breath and relax a little...look for solution...and most importantly READ READ READ READ...treat it like brand new day when you just got your first computer.

If Linux developers wanted to make Linux act and look exactly like Windows, they would. There is a reason why it's NOT like windows...and to find out those reasons, you can pick up couple book and read up about it. Just because you know how to use Windows, doesn't mean you know how to use every OS out there...don't be a pu**y about it...

wolfen69
October 24th, 2007, 07:29 PM
dont be in such a rush to get everything figured out in 1 day. patience will serve you well. one day the light will turn on and you'll say:YES! I get it now! i am now 100% windows free, and loving it. you will too if you want it bad enough.

zero244
October 25th, 2007, 03:31 AM
I have gotten virtually all my hardware on two different machines running fine.
But lets face it some hardware is just harder to get working right.....or in some cases it wont work at all.
Its not Linux's fault......the manufactures are too cheap or too lazy to write drivers.
Non the less some computers are going to have more problems than others.
It seems to me the older hardware seems to fair better than some of the state of the art stuff.
My machines are pretty fast but they are older technology.

It can take some time to learn Linux, especially if you want to do the trick stuff.
But once you learn it your done......you can now enjoy a superior OS.

Sorry things didnt work out for you.
Good Luck.

Richardinel
October 29th, 2007, 05:06 PM
I am really no fan of Windows, have actually never used ie for more than brief moments, have always used Mozilla, since Netscapes inception, prior even to version 1, I have used OO for the last 5 years exclusively, both of which are user friendly and certainly in the case of Mozilla, superior to Windows ie in my opinion.

Linux is still for the few, it is an elitist piece of software, not for those wanting to change from the Windows os.

I have really given this a go, but due to insurmountable issues on basic things like display drivers for well known cards and many more simple everyday task difficulties, I give up.

There is no way in hell, that Ubuntu or any other Linux os, can sell itself to end users as a replacment for a workstation Windows machine, with all its warts, I would rather pay for a product that works, than go through the nightmare I have, over the last two and a half weeks, trying to get this Linux os to do simple everyday tasks on a network and stand alone.

This should be made a "sticky" to assist others entering this spiders web of time consuming heartache.

Throw your hands up in horror, this is the truth, like it or not.

Now you can move this truth to obscurity and continue to steal thousands of hours from the unsuspecting, caught up in the hype, that Ubuntu can replace Windows on the desktop.

Inxsible
October 29th, 2007, 05:10 PM
I have to disagree with you !

I performed the installation of Gutsy and it went without a hitch. I have used Ubuntu since the Breezy Badger and even when I was a newb, it wasn't too difficult. You do have to have the drive to learn something new.

If you are expecting it to be Windows, you came to the wrong place.

What are the problems you are facing?
Have you started threads for it? Did you not get help ? The best thing about Ubuntu is this community which will try and help you as much as they can.

Richardinel
October 29th, 2007, 05:27 PM
You cant disagree, 99% of the Computer world uses Windows os, even those like me, who really want to use something other than windows cant, Linux is not user friendly, programmes and drivers are simply not available for it, no doubt, even for an experienced computer user like me, I have had the will and determination, 20, 30 hours in total has been spent trying to get this to work.

The Forum proved utterly useless with basic issues, those on at the time could not help, there is simply no way Ubuntu will take over from windows, but I suggest this is not the intention, as even though it is free the stats prove this.

jryprt
October 29th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Only 2 1/2 weeks , it took me 2 1/2 months but its working great .
I am using Wubi ubuntu 7.04 its a great way to learn linux . After XP
is no longer supported good by windows .
Follow thru with your questions all these good people will help

ticopelp
October 29th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I wanted to move away from Windows, and did so very successfully by coming to Ubuntu. I don't find it "elitist" at all (I don't see how software can be elitist, quite honestly), and I don't know about the world at large, but it's certainly replaced Windows in this household, permanently. I'm sorry you've had a difficult time with it.

Mithrilhall
October 29th, 2007, 05:52 PM
This has been my experience with Linux over the years (I've recently moved to Linux after many attempts).

Buy your hardware with Linux in mind. If you're attempting to install Linux on a computer that was put together for Windows, it will probably work but there will be times that you'll run into issues.

I just recently purchased a Shuttle barebones to build my new Linux box. I ran into problem after problem and tried about 6 different distros before I sent the unit back to newegg. What did I learn; just because I have 2 older shuttles that ran Linux fine don't always expect that.

Do I blame Linux? No. I blame myself for not taking the time to check into whether or not they 'officially' or un-officially support Linux and I also blame the hardware manufacturer.

You could always purchase a Dell with Ubuntu pre-installed and forgo the headache of finding supported hardware (and no I don't work for Dell).

frodon
October 29th, 2007, 05:56 PM
@Richardinel

You said you would rather pay for something which work so why don't you just buy an ubuntu pre-installed computer with hardware made for linux like the ubuntu pre-installed dell laptops for instance.

So next time you want to buy a computer and don't want to bother then buy a linux pre-installed one and like most of users here you will just have great and painless experience.

aysiu
October 29th, 2007, 06:08 PM
This should be made a "sticky" to assist others entering this spiders web of time consuming heartache. A user making sweeping generalizations without any logical or anecdotal support (beyond one person's experience) should be made a sticky?

We used to have a sticky here called Is Ubuntu for You? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=63315), which actually was much better at "assist[ing] others entering this spider[']s web." Your post offers nothing constructive or useful for beginners or veterans. Sorry.

helliewm
October 31st, 2007, 02:42 PM
I came to Linux last summer after being incensed by WGA. I found a programme to remove it and it completely hosed XP. After taking advice from a colleague who uses Linux I went to WH Smith's and bought the first Linux mag I could find. The disc of the month was SUSE Sled which worked flawlessly. Although my Nvidia graphics card helped as did my HP printer I did not realise the significance of these purchases at the time. I had an issue with the opensuse repositories they hosed my SLED so by then i knew a little more and came to Ubuntu.

I went cold turkey from the start and its been brilliant I have learnt so much they is no way I would ever go back to XP/Vista even though I own 2 Vista licenses and 2 XP licenses.

There is always a work around you just need patience.

Helen