PDA

View Full Version : Refurbished sold as new

SlayerMan
October 29th, 2007, 04:53 PM
I recently bought a new computer from a computer store around the corner. Now I found out that the hard drive they installed into it is an MDT (Magnetic Data Technologies). This company (MDT) seems to sell only refurbished devices.

So, they sold me a new computer with a refurbished hard drive, which was not mentioned anywhere in their offering.

Does anyone of you have some advice on how I should proceed? I mean, is it ok to sell a new computer with used parts, when it is advertised as new?

PS: I know that this forum cannot give any legal advice, but just tell what would you do...

sailor2001
October 29th, 2007, 05:24 PM
well they sell computers that Bill Gates owns......

p_quarles
October 29th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Are you in the U.S. or Canada? If so, you can always start here:
http://welcome.bbb.org/#

Your attorney general's office should also be able to provide you with advice about the legality of this.

I would try to take it back, first, though, if you just want your money back.

Seisen
October 29th, 2007, 06:05 PM
The BBB isn't exactly the best place to go considering you have to pay for a membership there. Try contacting the Attorney General's office in your state that you live in if you live in the United States.

p_quarles
October 29th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I meant more for informational purposes. They have a bunch of downloadable FAQs on business practices.

SlayerMan
October 29th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the tips. I dont't live in the US though...

popch
October 29th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the tips. I dont't live in the US though...

We know that you live just around the corner. If we knew in addition where that corner was, perhaps someone could give even localized advice?

SlayerMan
October 29th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Well, I'm living in Germany

Gremlinzzz
October 29th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Tuesday, June 11, 2002
Solectron acquires Magnetic Data Technologies
This acquisition further strengthens our industry leading position in after-sales services and establishes Solectron as one of the world's largest independent providers of hard-disk drive screening and repair services, a market we have been targeting for growth," says Bill Mitchell, executive vice president and president of Solectron Global Services.
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/stories/2002/06/10/daily34.html
think the drive is new.

professor fate
October 29th, 2007, 11:43 PM
have you had a chance to inspect the computer for other used parts, or at lest those that appeared to be used?

Gremlinzzz
October 29th, 2007, 11:57 PM
take the computer back and tell them what you suspect demand your money back or a new computer.

n3tfury
October 30th, 2007, 12:07 AM
well they sell computers that Bill Gates owns......

SlayerMan
October 30th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Everything except the hard drive seems new.

Unterseeboot_234
October 30th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Here in Europe, it is very much "Buyer Beware". This is Napoleonic Code Law, which is very weak in Consumer Protection. Start out taking the product back to the merchant and ask for a refund. Otherwise, you will probably need to advance a retainer fee with an attorney to pursue any legal recourse. You are liable for the condition of the computer. If you removed a sealant tape on the back, showing you got inside, the computer is yours. Otherwise, most merchants will cooperate with you if the merchandise is returned in sell-able condition.