PDA

View Full Version : PyQt creating widgets

happysmileman
October 29th, 2007, 04:53 PM
I'm using PyQt (well learning to use it) and the tutorial is inconsistent about creating the widgets as a member of the class... For example sometimes it uses:

self.textEdit = QtGui.QTextEdit()
and sometimes it uses

textEdit = QtGui.QTextEdit()

Anyone want to explain or link to a reason why you might use self? Is it something you eityher always or never do, is it personal preference or are there times when you'll need it and times you won't?

dataw0lf
October 29th, 2007, 05:03 PM
'self' references the object instance. You have to pass it to each method of a class, and to access / assign properties, you use 'self'.
So in one instance, textEdit is the property of the object, whilst in the other instance, it isn't (or is a class property).

happysmileman
October 29th, 2007, 05:12 PM
'self' references the object instance. You have to pass it to each method of a class, and to access / assign properties, you use 'self'.
So in one instance, textEdit is the property of the object, whilst in the other instance, it isn't (or is a class property).

I understand I think, but what exactly are the advantages/disadvantages or declaring a widget like this. I'm assuming for it to be referenced outside that function it needs to be made with "self.textEdit" but any other reasons?
And am I ONLY supposed to use it in those cases?

dataw0lf
October 29th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Declaring a widget like this binds it to the class. I've never used Qt, but generally you'd want your widgets to be part of a parent Window, Root, or whatever, subclass.

happysmileman
October 29th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Declaring a widget like this binds it to the class. I've never used Qt, but generally you'd want your widgets to be part of a parent Window, Root, or whatever, subclass.

So you're saying that it's always better to use "self.textEdit" so that it's considered part of the class and can be accessed by other functions?