PDA

View Full Version : Bad Linux ISPs?

TheThinker
October 29th, 2007, 03:46 PM
I was wondering if anyone encountered any Internet Service Providers that just don't work on Linux due to proprietary protocols that haven't been ported yet. I'm currently having problems connecting to SBC Yahoo! dialup, yet I CAN dialup to my University that provides internet access to students. You can find my problem-post here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=591359

Better yet, does anyone know about any websites where I can find ported protocols or login scripts to experiment with? Or a website that lists proprietary protocols that each ISP uses? Thanks a lot!

jrusso2
October 29th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Look out of ISP's that require Windows only software to connect.

Netzero, People PC and of Course AOL are three.

TheThinker
October 29th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Look out of ISP's that require Windows only software to connect.

Netzero, People PC and of Course AOL are three.

Does that mean they use proprietary protocols or their own authentication methods? SBC Yahoo Dialup comes with its own Windows-Only installation CD, so I wouldn't be surprised. It would be great to find out how to emulate that kind of software.

Here's a thought. Has anyone figured that Wine could be used to Install the SBC Yahoo software and run it through the modem? That would be interesting, especially considering that if it DID work it would mean that Wine would need to also run a firewall and antivirus software (since Wine, it turns out, CAN run Windows malware, albeit with no threat to the Linux OS :)).

SunnyRabbiera
October 29th, 2007, 09:15 PM
well I know there was at least one time where both AOL and netzero allowed people to use their number protocols on linux, but I heard its phased out.