PDA

View Full Version : Starting Over with VMware

twoseids
October 29th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Okay, I've got these big dreams of running Windows within Ubuntu using VMware. I've done it in with Dapper in the past. This time, I'd like to try this method (http://venturecake.com/10-minutes-to-run-every-windows-app-seamlessly-on-your-ubuntu-desktop) of having the Windows Start menu come up right inside GNOME. Even better if I can use my physical Windows partition as the virtual machine (http://www.howtoforge.com/vmware_converter_windows_linux)!

But here's my problem. When I was installing (again) VMware Server, it told me that while I should have 8GB free for the "partition", I actually only had 4.25GB free. So I told it to use 4GB. Then my install hung up because of my lack of disk space. This is odd, because my /home directory still has 57GB free and that's where I thought most of the VMware files went.

My / directory, oddly, is full to the brim. And it's a 10GB directory, which I thought would be sufficient for this average user.

So here are my questions:

Is my VMware problem related to my / directory being full?
What could fill up the / directory so quickly?
Are there files I can clean up (I've already cleared out an older kernel)?
How can I wipe VMware from my system so I can do a clean install? I tried re-installing and it failed.

Thank you one and all for your help.

twoseids
October 30th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Bueller? Bueller?

bodhi.zazen
October 30th, 2007, 01:53 AM
VMWare stores machines in : /var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines

by default.

You can either move the default or save the machines in say ~/VM

twoseids
October 30th, 2007, 02:33 AM
VMWare stores machines in : /var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines

by default.

You can either move the default or save the machines in say ~/VM
So would you recommend I just delete the /var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines/Windows XP Home Edition directory? The contents are 4.3 GB. Ah hah.

Shazaam
October 30th, 2007, 03:32 AM
What I have done is make a folder on my desktop (which is in the /home folder) for storing my vm's. So far it has worked ok.
Depending on the type of vm you can either have it set up with a static virtual hard drive size or a dynamic size. Static is the way to go if you are cramped for space.

Not a thread hijack but thank you bodhi.zazen for the /var/lib hint. I have been getting errors with Synaptic (gzip) so I poked around in /var/lib/apt/lists/partial to fix it.