PDA

View Full Version : Flying the flag

lcafiero
October 29th, 2007, 03:48 AM
Hi Folks --

I don't know who to give credit to for the Ubuntu flag that was one of the candidates for our logo here -- https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Projects/Logo -- but as I mentioned at the last meeting, I thought a flag would be a good idea even if it wasn't our logo.

So I took that flag on the aforementioned wiki and tweaked it a bit, so my thanks and apologies to the original artist.

Caveats:

-- For the life of me, I couldn't find the right typeface to match the "California Republic" on the state flag. In fact, I don't think anyone can -- I went around to different sites and found stuff in typography forums saying that there is no typeface for the California Flag, but Refrigerator (?) comes closest. If anyone knows more than I do about typography -- and that would include mostly everyone here -- I'm way open to suggestions on this.

-- As far as typefaces go, the fonts that came closest were a tweak of Helvetica and Arial. I've attached both versions, and each file is named accordingly.

-- The red in the stripe along the bottom is replaced with the orange in the "arms" (?) in the upper right of the Ubuntu logo. Again, there are other possibilities for this -- one of the other logo colors, maybe? -- or replacing it with the original red. I'd prefer to change the color to one of the Ubuntu colors -- I've seen other take-offs on the state flag where the stripe was green and a sunflower replaced the star (that was a Green Party flag -- kind of cool, actually).

-- I have an OpenOffice Draw file available if anyone wants it to fiddle with it. Apparently it's too big to put here. E-mail me at larry.cafiero@gmail.com and I'll send it to you.

I'd like to actually see how much a flagmaker would charge to make one of these, and if anyone's interested, I'll pass that information on as well.

Larry Cafiero