PDA

View Full Version : Open letter to gnome

vexorian
October 29th, 2007, 02:15 AM
http://fanaticattack.com/2007/a-letter-to-the-gnome-foundation.html

But seriously, Gnome should be taking time to improve their DE, I don't see why they should be doing MS' work and they certainly should stop actually promoting MS' agenda.

Nano Geek
October 29th, 2007, 02:18 AM
It's funny, ever since Steve Jobs wrote his open-letter, it has become all the rage.:)

dmacdonald111
October 29th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Once I finally got to read this thoroughly (the english is VERY bad), my personal view would be that they should stop fighting everyone else and just concentrate on what 'they' are doing themselves. m$ didn't have to worry about ISO standards as they were 'paving the way' so to speak. Things are changing. Gnome need to go their own way and not worry about it. If they believe in what they are producing, then there is a very good chance that they will be able to set the 'standard' themselves. Although, as with m$, it won't actually be the 'standard'. They will just have got there first and everyone will have to follow.

Wasting time on 'arguing' who has ISO and who doesn't and who should have it is just delaying development - even stopping it! This is not good. Just develop what you are going for! If it's going to work, it will become a standard. If it doesn't, it will lead people to a better standard. Don't bow down to what is already there. This is what stops progress!

My view. Maybe I have got it wrong, but that's what I think personally.

vexorian
October 29th, 2007, 02:44 AM
Wasting time on 'arguing' who has ISO and who doesn't and who should have it is just delaying development - even stopping it! This is not good. Just develop what you are going for! If it's going to work, it will become a standard. If it doesn't, it will lead people to a better standard. Don't bow down to what is already there. This is what stops progress!

ODF is already an ISO standard. In other words, no open source free software entity should be 'working' on any standard, unless you want ODF to be replaced by a propietary thing that only MS can implement.

Gnome working on an stadard whose only objective is to trash ODF and let MS' monopoly persist, is ridiculous.

southernman
October 29th, 2007, 05:29 AM
o.0 Will this impact Gnome as a whole? Not just from the zealot types, but every day users too?