PDA

View Full Version : Just like to mention a few things if I may...

dmacdonald111
October 29th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Firstly, I have been using linux for about 3 years now (but you would think that I've only been using it for about 3 days because of what I know. :oops: ) Anyhoo. Apart from that, I just thought I would like to mention a couple of things.

1) When I bought a new computer (because I thought mine was gonna blow at any minute - it hasn't yet. Yay!), it came with M$ Vista. Nothing amazing there you may say, but the computer came with NO graphics card and 512Mb ram (yes, it was cheap). Vista said that it would load on this machine. Yes. It did. Unfortunately, that was about it. It couldn't cope with anything else - even notepad made the hard drive grind constantly and made my computer hang up.

I have since wiped that off (yay!) and installed ubuntu. I am currently (right now) running several programs, compiz with nearly ALL the effects, music, etc. and there isn't even the slightest sign of it slowing down.

2) My friends and family have now adopted the name 'ubuntu' into their everyday vocabulary. I have already converted some of my friends to ubuntu, and I am in the midst of converting my parents (I am very honest. If I can't get running what they want in linux, I'll tell them not to go with it). I am currently learning the 'wine' thing as this would help my case, but I feel that they would easily convert as well.

My final thought? Ubuntu is just a mean operating system. The fact that you can use a 'lower end' machine and have more effects than what the average person can afford with m$ is a definite plus. I just feel that there needs to be more support on the 'average' applications that normal people would use on m$. For example, my family & friends love those 'puzzle' games. Neither of them can understand why anyone would want to go around killing things all the time (which I can understand to a point). But there doesn't seem to be the 'games base' as there is available with m$. Perhaps I'm wrong and I just haven't come across them.

You know the type - brain training type games where you are able to record your scores, scrabble (which actually looks like scrabble), etc.

Apart from that, I cannot think of a single fault with Ubuntu linux. The support is next to nothing. And of course, you can read about what the upgrades are going to do to your machine! Never got that with, well, you know who ;)

Just thought I would mention this :D

Anyone else having the same success? Or are you having total failure? Lemme know :D