PDA

View Full Version : The ubuntu picture of people holding hands

kspr
August 24th, 2005, 03:18 PM
This post is about the picture on the main page of www.ubuntu.com (also on the pressed cds and possibly some other places)I know this is a lame post but i have to write it. Well personally i think it's just so not linux. It reminds me of phony commercials from lame companies who tries to make some boring product hip and exciting. But i think i do get the message, that this is "linux for human beings". Ofcourse that is a good way to give the impression that linux is for the common man/woman, then why do i still get a uncomfortable feeling while looking at that picture?

Maybe it's just that i like to feel alittle elite when starting up my linux distribution, maybe i'm just silly.

Maybe linux shouldn't adapt the commercial way of hyping products and try to be groovy or cool by using that kind of marketing (since it makes people like me (who doesnt enjoy watching commercials with perfect happy men/women using some featured product) feel uncomfortable). What do YOU think?

Also i must say that i do love ubuntu, it kicks ass :)

humanity_to_others
August 24th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Because, Ubuntu is only 1 year age distro.

Stormy Eyes
August 24th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Maybe linux shouldn't adapt the commercial way of hyping products and try to be groovy or cool by using that kind of marketing (since it makes people like me (who doesnt enjoy watching commercials with perfect happy men/women using some featured product) feel uncomfortable). What do YOU think?

Linux isn't. Canonical is in order to market their distribution, in order to set themselves apart from other distros who use cutesy penguin imagery or try to promote a 1337 image. I don't see any problem with it, even though I think advertisers are no better than lawyers, politicians, clergy, and wife beaters.

And the blonde is pretty attractive -- for a blonde.

az
August 24th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Why do you feel uncomfortable? Probably because you have different tastes than those who picked the artwork.

The Warty artwork was more risquee, and was multicultural, but it may have offended some cultures by showing off too much skin. This image is more neutral, and still conveys the message of multiculturalism, with individuals of different backgrounds, sexes and ages. The theme matches the slogan "linux for human beings".

If you do not like the image, well, you are entitled to your opinion. Nothing is going to please everybody. But what would you suggest?

kspr
August 25th, 2005, 03:19 AM
Maybe i should elaborate alittle more on the subject.

The company behind ubuntu, are doing a good job. I dont know about it's long term goals for this distribution or if/how they will make money from it, but right now ubuntu is a very good os, and the community is exactly the way i prefer it. Right now ubuntu is a very free os, free of charge and open software etc. This is not unique for a linux distribution but it is rather unique compared to most other products.

To keep that unique glow of freedom/sincerity etc i think it is important to be very careful when advertising it. Advertising must also be sincere and true. What most people has learned is that commercial advertisement is filled with lies, half-truths and manipulation. Atleast i do not trust it.

So basically, the picture; the picture is a photograph. The thing with photographs is that it takes a real image and makes it into a painting. But it's still in a way real. Our minds tell us it's a screenshot of reality.

The photograph is created by using human models pose in a certain way. The picture becomes in a way a lie, Those humans didnt just accidently stand there holding hands only because of joy for ubuntu. They might love ubuntu, but right now they are posing like that because a picture will be taken to be used in advertisement for ubuntu. You could even say that the picture is fake.

Still, it's nice to have images. Text is good but a nice picture you can relate to ubuntu is worth alot. I suggest that ubuntu should use a painted image instead. How about a mascot, maybe some sort of furry fantasy-animal or a cute fish, maybe even a painting showing a ring of people from different cultures holding hands :)

But photographs of humans posing in ads makes me feel like someone tries to trick me.

matthew
August 25th, 2005, 03:24 AM
Oh good grief...this is utterly absurd. Of all the things to complain about. Really. Maybe a cute, fuzzy little animal mascot would be more real?!? My mouth is literally hanging wide open as I gape in utter amazement at this thread.

The phototgraph is trying to convey an image of community like the ideal of the distro. There isn't another person in the world that I could realistically think would believe Ubuntu was trying to sell the idea that using Ubuntu would somehow make people stand in circles holding hands and singing happy songs while dancing.

I propose we go with your idea--maybe then I can finally have that fuzzy fantasy pet I have always wanted come to my house and play with me because I use Ubuntu. <laughing good-naturedly while still standing slack-jawed in amazement at the very idea that spawned this post>

Trackieman
April 9th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Because it's a friendly photograph that hopefully appeals to your average consumer. Of which you are not, because you already know about it!