PDA

View Full Version : Linspire Forum bigger than Ubuntu Forum???

tseliot
August 24th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Look at this:

http://info.linspire.com/community/

We don't want to be left behind by Linspire forum, right? ;-)

Stormy Eyes
August 24th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Does it really matter that one forum is bigger than another?

Brunellus
August 24th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Look at this:

http://info.linspire.com/community/

We don't want to be left behind by Linspire forum, right? ;-)
"I see your Schwartz is as big as mine....now let's see how you....handle it."
-Lord Helmet, "Spaceballs"

Lord Illidan
August 24th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Probably, it is like Mandriva, when you install the distro for the first time you are given an option to join the forum, and many people do so straight away... which explains the phenomenally high number of Linspire members...

lol, in fact, there are more members than posts, which means that most members have no posts at all!!

And some of the biggest forums is Installing Linspire... so much for the one click thing... CNR..and General Discussion! What's more, I added the post count and it was 183,801, way below 237,306...

Paulus
August 24th, 2005, 03:09 PM
they have more sections than this site has, some i feel that are perhaps unnecessary such as Separate language sections

tseliot
August 24th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Does it really matter that one forum is bigger than another?
Someone says size doesn't matter, right? :razz: :razz: :razz:

tseliot
August 24th, 2005, 03:25 PM
That's a good point :)

Stormy Eyes
August 24th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Someone says size doesn't matter, right? :razz: :razz: :razz:

Dude, does this forum look dead to you? What are you worried about?

KingBahamut
August 24th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Hmmmm, that Linspire forum doesnt have enough flair. It needs at least 30 pieces of flair, all I see it 15....Its just not going to make it without more flair.
=)

tseliot
August 24th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Dude, does this forum look dead to you? What are you worried about?
No, I was just kidding before. I just wanted to say: let's keep up the good work and let's help as many people as we can! :)

BWF89
August 24th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Yeah but Linspire is a newbie distro so who cares?

Stormy Eyes
August 24th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Yeah but Linspire is a newbie distro so who cares?

And Ubuntu isn't? Any distro can be a newbie's distro; it just depends on the newbie. My wife's first was Gentoo (even though I installed it for her before she moved in with me), and she was fine except for Firefox crashing and hanging her machine hard enough to require that she punch the reset button.

I do suspect that Linspire caters to the sort of Windows user that thinks that everything is done by the FM method.

KingBahamut
August 24th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Why does a distro have to be a newbie distro? Are we so uncouth as to start to show favoritism and ill will towards other distros for there attempts at the market? Are we so militant as to speak against the efforts of these companies......That, That indeed is truely sad.

sapo
August 24th, 2005, 03:52 PM
lol.. they still dare to compare:

Linspire: Most users ever online was 30 on Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:15 pm

Ubuntu: Most users ever online was 988, 08-19-2005 at 10:58 AM.

Even my own forum has more active users:
http://forum.xgn.com.br/ -> Nosso máximo de usuários online foi 60 em Jul 23 2005, 11:03 PM.

xequence
August 24th, 2005, 04:08 PM
I must say, I love that ubuntu is right up there ;D It says linspire is the most active... As people said, its not as active, just inflated with members that dont no anytihng =O

Brunellus
August 24th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Why does a distro have to be a newbie distro? Are we so uncouth as to start to show favoritism and ill will towards other distros for there attempts at the market? Are we so militant as to speak against the efforts of these companies......That, That indeed is truely sad.
"newbie distro" is a term that's much abused.

every newbie is a little different, so potentially every distro can be a newbie distro...generally, though, when I think/say "newbie" I think of someone with limited technical experience.

the question is "can a person with little experience install, configure and run this distribution"?

Ubuntu is a candidate. Linspire is better, for those who are utterly dependent on a Windows-like environment. Ditto Xandros. Slackware definitely isn't....

tseliot
August 24th, 2005, 04:16 PM
lol.. they still dare to compare:

Linspire: Most users ever online was 30 on Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:15 pm

Ubuntu: Most users ever online was 988, 08-19-2005 at 10:58 AM.

Even my own forum has more active users:
http://forum.xgn.com.br/ -> Nosso máximo de usuários online foi 60 em Jul 23 2005, 11:03 PM.
So, that's the catch!

humanity_to_others
August 24th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Gentoo forums better than all:

Our users have posted a total of 2621557 articles
We have 93364 registered users

Most users ever online was 1850 on Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:17 pm
http://forums.gentoo.org/

tseliot
August 24th, 2005, 04:33 PM

Yes, it's a good forum, I visited a month ago and I registered as a member too, but my problem wasn't solved, I think it was a kernel problem (kernel panic when testing the harddrives before the installation of Gentoo). So now I'm on Ubuntu only.

az
August 24th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Linspire is fine.

I think they staff their forums (pay employees to run it). I wonder if they include a link to it on their desktop or integrated help system to their forum?

Does anybody know?

I seriously doubt that the maximum concurrent members online on their forum was only ever thirty people. That must be an error.

neighborlee
August 24th, 2005, 05:40 PM

LMAO!!!

you go!

size can be indeed a indication of quality but can also just be blindfaith as in those doing what they think is good for them. What they dont realize 'yet ?', is that total freedom is had but those waving the banner of ubuntu. Let freedom ring ;-)))

cheers
nl

neighborlee
August 24th, 2005, 05:46 PM

thats because its one geek running after the other hoping someone catches the bug first.

who else is willing to install, compile, compile, compile,compile

not me..although having said that I clearly do respect the distro..much less after its founder did what he did ( hey money talks I realize and babies need food )..still that how I feel about it.

cheers
nl

bored2k
August 24th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Why is the post and user numbers any important ? We have our community, they have theirs. Most of the Windows based forum have hundreds of thousands of users and posts. Does this mean I have to think they are superior and/or better than us ? I don't think so. Does the fact that I have the higher post count here mean I am the better and more wise member ? I don't think so.

not me..although having said that I clearly do respect the distro..much less after its founder did what he did ( hey money talks I realize and babies need food )..still that how I feel about it. Try to have some empathy for the man. You said it yourself, humans don't eat keyboards nor GPL contracts, they need money to acquire they're goods. Plus, he's a ______ grown man who has done more than any of us here for the Linux community and he can certaintly do whatever he feels like with his life whenever he feels like it.

Brunellus
August 25th, 2005, 04:24 AM
how funny is it that the day eveyrbody's talking about how many people are reading/postin on these forums, we get ruthlessly slashdotted?

blastus
August 25th, 2005, 04:48 AM
Linspire sounds like a codename for a blitz against MS-Windows. Doesn't matter to me whose forums are more popular. They are our brothers and sisters and together we stand in opposition to world domination through MS-Windows. :razz: Sorry I just had to post that...little too irritated with MS-Windows today.

xequence
August 25th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Does the fact that I have the higher post count here mean I am the better and more wise member ? I don't think so.

It doesent make you better, but almost 5000 posts just demands respect! Noone would look at your account and say "what an idiot, they know nothing about anything!". Not saying people with lower post counts shouldent be respected, I dont have many posts compared to others... But if someone saw your account profile showing the 5000 posts and mine showing 150, they would obviously think you are more knowledgeable in ubuntu/linux then me, which is probably right ](*,)

And my post had almost nothing to do with the topic :grin:

poofyhairguy
August 26th, 2005, 03:45 AM
It doesent make you better, but almost 5000 posts just demands respect! Noone would look at your account and say "what an idiot, they know nothing about anything!". Not saying people with lower post counts shouldent be respected, I dont have many posts compared to others... But if someone saw your account profile showing the 5000 posts and mine showing 150, they would obviously think you are more knowledgeable in ubuntu/linux then me, which is probably right ](*,)

Thanks.