PDA

View Full Version : Why 'std::' vs. 'using namespace std'?

JupiterV2
October 28th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Another WHY question. I've read conflicting reports but it is generally agreed that...

using namespace std;

...is bad practice and you should use the std:: prefix whenever invoking a std namespace function like cout or the string class. Example:

std::string str = "Some string.";

std::cout << str << std::endl;

My question is, why? What are the advantages of the 'std::' prefix or the pitfalls of 'using namespace std'?

Spruce Moose
October 28th, 2007, 09:16 PM
I think it's more a matter of personal preference rather than a rule or good/bad practice. Typing std:: all the time gets pretty boring though. Wouldn't you rather type "using namespace std" once rather than sprinking std:: everywhere? That's what I like to do anyway.

SM.

aks44
October 28th, 2007, 09:23 PM
The C++ FAQ lite covers this topic (http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/coding-standards.html#faq-27.5).

Additionnaly, prefixing with std:: allows one to distinguish at a glance what parts of the program use the standard library, and what parts use "custom" code.

dumbsnake
October 28th, 2007, 09:26 PM
There are many different styles here that are all valid, but there is one RULE:

Do NOT put "using namespace xxxx" in a header file. PERIOD.

I personally like to always be explicit and put std::string instead of string, but it is perfectly fine to have "using namespace std;" in an implementation file. While I don't do it myself, it is not bad style at all in my opinion.

The reason you shouldn't ever put using namespace xxx in a header file is that it makes a conflict later much more likely. If you use a namespace and then another header file after that uses a namespace with some of the same names and references one of those functions then the code might not compile, but only when including both headers.... which is obviously a really unfortunate bug. This is why you don't use a namespace in a header. Implementation is different though because you don't include implementation files (.cpp, etc...)

I'm sure there are varying opinions, but these guidelines are certainly not wrong.

smartbei
October 28th, 2007, 09:33 PM
The idea is to not overrun your global function namespace with functions. If you don't care, you can use "using namespace std;". That is really all there is to it as far as I know.

samjh
October 28th, 2007, 11:02 PM
You can also use
using namespace_name::member;to specify which member of that namespace to use.

Example:

using std::cout;
using std::cin;
using std::endl;

Will allow you to use cout, cin, and endl, without specifying std:: in front of every usage.

dwhitney67
October 29th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Since this post is on the topic of namespaces, can someone refresh my memory on how to forward-declare an std:: object (within a header file) in lieu of including the header file that defines it?

I want to believe it's something like this, but I'm not sure:

#ifndef FOO_H
#define FOO_H
namespace std
{
class string;
};

#endif

hod139
October 29th, 2007, 02:57 AM
You can't. The problem is they are not classes, but typedefs of templates. http://www.gotw.ca/gotw/034.htm

The STL writers do provide <iosfwd>, but that is only for iostream. No others.