PDA

View Full Version : This is what's planned for Hardy Heron...

Mazza558
October 28th, 2007, 02:57 PM
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/sprints/uds-boston-2007/+roadmap

Some very interesting plans here...

Of course, some of these plans will be eliminated or pushed back, but it's nice to see what we're heading for in Gutsy.

Highlights include:

* New login screen, maybe with faces of users
* New theme
* New icon theme
* Faster boot, maybe with prefetching
* Perhaps network support "out of the box"
* Better documentation
* Revised/improved Desktop Effects with CF v0.7
* Automatic bug reports
* New example content
* Redesign of several utilities
* KDE 4 in Kubuntu

Overall, looking good, and, uh, "fly on", Hardy Heron!

fuscia
October 28th, 2007, 03:15 PM
kde4 by april? won't happen.

PmDematagoda
October 28th, 2007, 03:21 PM
It maybe possible for KDE4 to be in Kubuntu 8.04, as KDE is planning on releasing KDE4 somewhere in late December according to this:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE_4 and this

http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.0_Release_Schedule

fuscia
October 28th, 2007, 03:25 PM
if it happens, that'll be great. i'm just trying to stay calm about it.

PmDematagoda
October 28th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Same here:). I tried installing KDE4 on my old 7.04, but it just didn't work properly:(.

Rinzwind
October 28th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Looks cool.
But I said that about hmm
Breezy Badger
Dapper Drake
Feisty Fawn
and hmm Gutsy Gibbon

:D

But then again cool never gets boring :D

fuscia
October 28th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Same here:). I tried installing KDE4 on my old 7.04, but it just didn't work properly:(.

i had it going on kubuntu gutsy, but it was a mess. being an end user though, i can really only appreciate the surface layers which, i guess, is not that important right now.

Martje_001
October 28th, 2007, 07:31 PM
*Install on an existing filesystem without overwriting /home

Ubiquity requires its target filesystems to be blank to avoid creating unsupportable mutant hybrids of multiple operating systems by accident. However, this is a little too strict where /home is concerned. Can we do better? In particular, can we at least clean out just the bits of the filesystem we know to be problematic?
(Defaulting to creating a separate /home partition is often suggested, but that has plenty of problems of its own. This should be more flexible.)

I really really hope this will be implemented :D

oldos2er
October 28th, 2007, 07:32 PM
I wish they would concentrate more on fixing existing bugs than adding features, seeing as how Heron is going to be an LTS release.

Erunno
October 28th, 2007, 07:40 PM
It maybe possible for KDE4 to be in Kubuntu 8.04, as KDE is planning on releasing KDE4 somewhere in late December according to this:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE_4 and this

http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.0_Release_Schedule

Jonathan Riddell wrote (emphasis mine): (http://www.kubuntu-de.org/interview-mit-riddell-zu-kde4-englisch)

I suspect KDE 4 won't be stable enough to be default desktop for 7.10. 8.04 it should be but it's possible that 8.04 will be our next LTS release and I don't want our first KDE 4 as default release to also be an LTS release. Either way we'll have packages and ISOs of KDE 4 available as soon as sanely possible for everyone to try.

FuturePilot
October 28th, 2007, 07:42 PM
No PulseAudio? :(

Andrewie
October 28th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I was playing with the opensuse kde4 live disk, and it's gotten a lot better. It'll be more then ready for the next release of ubuntu

spamzilla
October 28th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Hopefully wireless internet finally gets to *sighs* Windows standard as this is the only thing stopping me from using Ubuntu :(

I am hanging on to faith and praying a new install of gutsy on the laptop I intend to buy will solve the slow wireless problems I am having.

RAV TUX
October 28th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Looks cool.
But I said that about hmm
Breezy Badger
Dapper Drake
Feisty Fawn
and hmm Gutsy Gibbon

:D

But then again cool never gets boring :D

Prior to Gutsy Gibbon

Hoary Hedgehog was my favorite release.

Without being overly superstitious lets hope the return of an "H" name will be a good Omen for Hardy Heron.

kde4 by april? won't happen.

if it happens, that'll be great. i'm just trying to stay calm about it.

I really hope that KDE4 will be out with the next release. I will most likely switch from Xubuntu to Kubuntu...but I will continue to use e17 CVS as my default session.

boast
October 28th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I hope theres auto-mouse detect for mouses with more than 3 buttons.

Ireclan
October 28th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Why does it seem like they change some aspect of the theme every release? I mean, I can understand the need to change things up every now and then, but every release? That's a waste of resources. I think each LTS should unveil a new theme. No more, no less.

floke
October 28th, 2007, 08:54 PM

Don't you mean mice? :popcorn:

ahaslam
October 28th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I wish they would concentrate more on fixing existing bugs than adding features, seeing as how Heron is going to be an LTS release.

+1, the dev's have had their play, time to grow up.

Polygon
October 28th, 2007, 10:11 PM
of course they are gonna concentrate on bug fixes as well...these people arnt stupid. They know what the term 'lts' means...im sure they just didnt put it in there as its implied

CarpKing
October 28th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Why does it seem like they change some aspect of the theme every release? I mean, I can understand the need to change things up every now and then, but every release? That's a waste of resources. I think each LTS should unveil a new theme. No more, no less.

Other than different wallpapers and a few tweaks, they haven't come out with a new theme since Dapper.

boast
October 28th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Don't you mean mice? :popcorn:
:-k ..... [-X

floke
October 29th, 2007, 10:04 PM

:-k ..... [-X

You missed an apostrophe in "there's" too - but it would have been a bit pedantic to point it out.

Tux Aubrey
October 30th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Highlights include:

* New login screen, maybe with faces of users
* New theme
* New icon theme
* Faster boot, maybe with prefetching
* Perhaps network support "out of the box"
* Better documentation
* Revised/improved Desktop Effects with CF v0.7
* Automatic bug reports
* New example content
* Redesign of several utilities
* KDE 4 in Kubuntu

That looks like an appropriately conservative list for an LTS to me. These are mostly design issues - or at least not programming ones. Greater polish and bug fixing goes without saying (I think). Improvements with documentation (including the online stuff) is a high priority for me.

With the improvements in Gutsy bedded down, Hardy is shaping up as a great release (although if they seriously think they can improve my boot time they will need to develop a device that turns my computer on before I press the button)

3rdalbum
October 30th, 2007, 01:37 AM
I welcome the faster boot and the better documentation. But I think the Ubuntu devs are fiddling around the edges - let's see some real innovation on the desktop!

50words
October 30th, 2007, 01:39 AM
I am hoping for better ATI support so that I can finally run dual monitors without learning to hack.