PDA

View Full Version : Install wine - counter strike

spirospr
November 23rd, 2004, 11:27 PM
I installed wine, configured it and made an installation of counter strike 1.5

Everything to work fine but i have those two problems :

1. I manage to load the game but after passing the menus and finally go into the game nothing happens. It seems like everything is loaded but nothing is displayed in the screen.

2. I have no sound

Any suggestions? I attached the config file of the wine

I have heard about cedega but i don't want to pay. If so i would have stay in windows.....

BWF89
November 24th, 2004, 01:13 AM
How did you go about making an installer? Did you just configure Wine or did you write an installer? And, how easy is it to do something like you have just done?

spirospr
November 24th, 2004, 01:25 AM
How did you go about making an installer? Did you just configure Wine or did you write an installer? And, how easy is it to do something like you have just done?

Well it is not very difficult. You install wine and winesetuptk from synaptic , then run wine from terminal and configure it by winesetup. For exmple for installing a game you mount the cd and then give the command "wine d:\setup" It will be installed in your fake windows folders. Then you run it doing the same "wine /?????/????" Where questionmarks the path for the folder where the windows executable file is.

There is some documentation, if you search, for more details....

BWF89
November 24th, 2004, 01:34 AM
So with a little configuring you can run alot of Windows games on Linux useing Wine?

Ozitraveller
November 24th, 2004, 03:30 AM
What is commandline to mount cd?

I can see the contents of the cd in nautilus, but couldn't install.

spirospr
November 24th, 2004, 03:53 PM
What is commandline to mount cd?

I can see the contents of the cd in nautilus, but couldn't install.

You don't have to do it by commnd line. Just right click on the icon of your cd-rom and select mount. After you will have to run the installation file with wine. For exmple this could be :

wine d:\setup

Normally this shoud work.

Ozitraveller
November 25th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the info.

I'm just curious as to why I need to mount the cdrom, for the game, when I browse the cd from nautilus and it works. Doesn't that mean the cdrom is mounted correctly?

spirospr
November 25th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the info.

I'm just curious as to why I need to mount the cdrom, for the game, when I browse the cd from nautilus and it works. Doesn't that mean the cdrom is mounted correctly?

Well it think that the instruction about mounting the cd rom is just to be sure that it is loaded. Ofcourse if you can browse the cd-rom , it is mounted.

I tried to load some games to play with wine in Ubuntu but nothing. So i think i will settle down to windows when it comes to gaming.

Does enyone have a good site for cs source maps?

plasmo
November 26th, 2004, 03:23 AM
wine isnt really made for gaming
you would want to try out cedega [winex] which is wine but has 3d support
i can run my steam / cs:s / cs1.6 nicely on cedega under ubuntu

spirospr
November 26th, 2004, 04:23 PM

You are right. After some searching around i came to the conclusion that i will need cedega if i want to play games on linux. But here is my thinking:

1.Why should i pay for software that simulates (even if it doesn't as most say , i think that this is how it works) windows services so that i can play games on linux?

2. The main reason i turned to linux is the idea of a community where everything is shared to achieve a goal

3.If i had to pay i would stick to windows where everything is simpler

I think that dual booting will be the option for me until i get tired.

I know that my thinking is not very suitable for a linux forum and might provoke some. But this how it works for me.

Martijn
February 26th, 2005, 11:57 AM

What about the steam/game updates? Do they work so I can play on all servers?

bored2k
February 26th, 2005, 01:18 PM
What about the steam/game updates? Do they work so I can play on all servers?

i use cedega 4.2.1
steam has updated correctly my games and yes i can play on official 1.6 servers

Martijn
February 26th, 2005, 04:33 PM
i use cedega 4.2.1
steam has updated correctly my games and yes i can play on official 1.6 servers
Well.... thats great :D

DJ_Max
February 26th, 2005, 11:10 PM
You are right. After some searching around i came to the conclusion that i will need cedega if i want to play games on linux. But here is my thinking:

1.Why should i pay for software that simulates (even if it doesn't as most say , i think that this is how it works) windows services so that i can play games on linux?

You don't have to pay, Cedega is freely available, you don't get support or Point2Play. If you want both, you just pay $5. And it doesn't really simulate.

2. The main reason i turned to linux is the idea of a community where everything is shared to achieve a goal

Right, and thats what you got.

3.If i had to pay i would stick to windows where everything is simpler

Paying $5 doesn't seem like a lot, considering everything else is free & open source.

Martijn
February 27th, 2005, 10:01 PM
waar is cedega gratis te krijgen dan ?

DJ_Max
February 27th, 2005, 10:02 PM
waar is cedega gratis te krijgen dan ?
English :confused:

Martijn
February 28th, 2005, 05:33 PM
English :confused:
Sorry :)

Were can I get cedega for free? If i search on google I find sites were I have to pay for...

Snipersnest
February 28th, 2005, 07:54 PM
You should be able to find the CVS version for "free" ...But your not going to find a very current copy free, not to mention the updates.

TG just released an update for CS:Source due to the recent Steam Patch this month. Seems the Steam source code has a bad memory leak and it floods out under Linux. Windows ends up almost freezing after you exit with this bug. You might be able to find that patch for free so your Cedega and Source play nice together. GL w/ that.

I don't understand why someone wouldn't be willing to give $5 a month to a worthy development. You get to pick what they should update or change by being a subscriber and you get the updates instantly. When you first sign up you pay for 3 months in advance ($15).

But most people I've seen you the "free" version have tons of problems no one else runs into with the "subscribed" copy. Hope this helps!

Martijn
March 1st, 2005, 05:32 PM
You should be able to find the CVS version for "free" ...But your not going to find a very current copy free, not to mention the updates.

TG just released an update for CS:Source due to the recent Steam Patch this month. Seems the Steam source code has a bad memory leak and it floods out under Linux. Windows ends up almost freezing after you exit with this bug. You might be able to find that patch for free so your Cedega and Source play nice together. GL w/ that.

I don't understand why someone wouldn't be willing to give $5 a month to a worthy development. You get to pick what they should update or change by being a subscriber and you get the updates instantly. When you first sign up you pay for 3 months in advance ($15).

But most people I've seen you the "free" version have tons of problems no one else runs into with the "subscribed" copy. Hope this helps!
Thanx, I'll keep searching

I'll tel you you why 5$ is to much:)

I only get 15 euro of pocketmoney a month... so that those $5 will be 33% of that... thats way to much for me!

bored2k
March 1st, 2005, 06:15 PM

Yes you can find a VERY updated CVS Cedega.
There is a script made by the guys from Linux-Gamers wich automatically updates CVS Cedega version.

It's posted here (http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=45)

Sometimes this CVS will not work ... why ? Because its a CVS..daily updated , and sometimes the developer might leave in an unusable state, so if it doesnt work "today", try "tomorow" .

BTW, I use the official Cedega 4.2.1 -nonfree- [without Point2Play -dont like gui-... nothing that apt-get install msttcorefonts and Xover Office 4.1-nonfree- can't do !].

bored2k
March 1st, 2005, 06:17 PM
BTW, for anyone using the script on the last post, when asked for a password #-o .... its cvs 8-) .

Beire
March 1st, 2005, 06:59 PM

yeah but i cant get it to work here. there's a thread on my plroblem in the hoary forums.

I'm trying the cvs version. Others aren't free :(

Snipersnest
March 2nd, 2005, 04:23 AM
lol the others aren't free because you get support and a full tested working copy! CVS is just code where the dev team may have left off in the middle. You can't expect it to work like the real subscribed version.

Its $5 a month, thats if you want to keep getting support and updates... Its $15 just to get the software and 3 months of support. Its well worth supporting too.