PDA

View Full Version : Got GMail? You now have a free Jabber account to go with it.

NeoChaosX
August 24th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Details of Google's IM service gets leaked out to the Internet (http://www.smashsworld.com/2005/08/im-on-google-talk-right-now.php)

Time for me to get a Gmail account.

I will admit, this is a sneaky way of spreading Jabber to the masses. :)

Knome_fan
August 24th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Yup, great news and great that they are using jabber. :grin:

drizek
August 24th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Details of Google's IM service gets leaked out to the Internet (http://www.smashsworld.com/2005/08/im-on-google-talk-right-now.php)

Time for me to get a Gmail account.

I will admit, this is a sneaky way of spreading Jabber to the masses. :)
coolest pro-opensource thing google has ever done.

benplaut
August 24th, 2005, 09:10 AM
it's not really jabber... it uses the jabber protocol, but not the network :mad:

still cool, nevertheless :grin:

slux
August 24th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Is this true? Google Talk isn't connected to other Jabber servers? Aw... That sucks. It's not much use then although being able to use Jabber clients to connect is "cute" of course...

tom-ubuntu
August 24th, 2005, 10:18 AM
As I just wrot ein another thread, I really hope the will connect to the whole network after their beta phase. Otherwise I am a little bit disappointed and will probably not use it on the long run. But let's wait and see....

nocturn
August 24th, 2005, 10:32 AM
The good news is that they use an open protocol, so Linux users are not locked out of their network like what happens with MSN.

I really hope they can make a dent is the MS dominance of hotmail and MSN because I get really tired of people (even business associates) asking for my MSN account.

It would be nice if they connected to the jabber network though...

nocturn
August 24th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Strange thing...

I'm on WinXP at work behind an ISA server.
Gaim cannot connect to my Gmail account because the server refused the connection to port 5222 and 5223.

I download the GoogleTalk client and it connects! How is it doing this?

tom-ubuntu
August 24th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Strange thing...

I'm on WinXP at work behind an ISA server.
Gaim cannot connect to my Gmail account because the server refused the connection to port 5222 and 5223.

I download the GoogleTalk client and it connects! How is it doing this?
HTTP tunneling? Just a guess.... haven't tried it....

sapo
August 24th, 2005, 10:59 AM
it connected with GAIM.. but i dont have anyone in my list.. if anybody is in the same condition pm so we can test it :-#

nocturn
August 24th, 2005, 11:53 AM
HTTP tunneling? Just a guess.... haven't tried it....

It is connecting to www.google.com on port 443.
I tried setting gaim to that port, but it says SSL handshake failed (with any combination of TLS and old SSL).

Rule
August 24th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Protocol: Jabber
screen-name: everything before "@gmail.com"
server: gmail.com
resource: Gaim
password: *************
alias: " "
Use TLS if avail: checked
Port: 5222
Connect server: talk.google.com

im on it as I type this :)

SNo0py
August 24th, 2005, 12:58 PM
It is connecting to www.google.com on port 443.
I tried setting gaim to that port, but it says SSL handshake failed (with any combination of TLS and old SSL).
That *must* be nonsense!

Lovechild
August 24th, 2005, 01:14 PM
you can contact me using jabber at gnomeuser funny-a gmail dot com - but please don't send mail to that account if you expect me to read it.

SKLP
August 24th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Too bad that they don't have server to server communications enabled ](*,)

earobinson
August 24th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Yaaa Google

mike998
August 24th, 2005, 03:29 PM
BAH... Can't connect...

I have tried the settings above but when I attempt to connect, I am getting a stream error and then when I try again I get a not allowed error.

I've tried
Screen Name : theunderpantsgnome
Server : talk.google.com
Passowrd :********
Use TLS : Checked
Port 5222

Any ideas?

EDIT:
I used the help here (http://www.google.com/support/talk/bin/answer.py?answer=24073) for gaim, but still am having no joy...
By the way, if anyone wants to add me, feel free.

EDIT of the EDIT :
It works using the help above : my port was set incorrectly!

BWF89
August 24th, 2005, 03:33 PM
I got it to work with Gaim in Windows.

rwabel
August 24th, 2005, 05:39 PM
BAH... Can't connect...

I have tried the settings above but when I attempt to connect, I am getting a stream error and then when I try again I get a not allowed error.

I've tried
Screen Name : theunderpantsgnome
Server : talk.google.com
Passowrd :********
Use TLS : Checked
Port 5222

Any ideas?

EDIT:
I used the help here (http://www.google.com/support/talk/bin/answer.py?answer=24073) for gaim, but still am having no joy...
By the way, if anyone wants to add me, feel free.

EDIT of the EDIT :
It works using the help above : my port was set incorrectly!
use server: gmail.com

earobinson
August 24th, 2005, 08:38 PM
so someone has it working? i haven not been able to test it yet since im at work

rwabel
August 24th, 2005, 08:41 PM
so someone has it working? i haven not been able to test it yet since im at work
works with gaim!

xequence
August 24th, 2005, 08:55 PM
I tried google talk with wine in ubuntu :P Installed good but when it came up it was only for half a second then it went down. I got a screenshot of it, only because it froze and I had time :P

RastaMahata
August 25th, 2005, 01:37 AM
excellent, it works great on gaim

It doesnt work ingossip though :( (no TSL, or direct server support (no way to tell it to connect to talk.google.com))

im_ka
August 25th, 2005, 02:45 AM
note that they write that server2server is not available AT THE MOMENT... imagine im where you only need one account... or imagine emailing where you need tons of accounts.

i hope google succeeds with this one too. it's always good to be suspicious a bit, but as long as it's not proven that i should not trust google, i will

damn... i've just quit using msn and icq. it's gonna take some time till people start moving, but i bet it'll rule.

the only problem i'm having that i don't get notifications of new emails to gaim... can anyone say something about this? let's everyone write to google support so they add this feature ;)

earobinson
August 25th, 2005, 03:03 PM
note that they write that server2server is not available AT THE MOMENT... imagine im where you only need one account... or imagine emailing where you need tons of accounts.

i hope google succeeds with this one too. it's always good to be suspicious a bit, but as long as it's not proven that i should not trust google, i will

damn... i've just quit using msn and icq. it's gonna take some time till people start moving, but i bet it'll rule.

the only problem i'm having that i don't get notifications of new emails to gaim... can anyone say something about this? let's everyone write to google support so they add this feature ;)
so i have to gmail accounts, one works with gaim and one dont :(

Kyral
August 25th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Got mine working. Feel free to IM me at the address on my profile :P

dcraven
August 25th, 2005, 04:27 PM
It also works in the Gajim (http://www.gajim.org) client, although there is issues when a user goes offline since the Google servers cannot (do not?) queue offline messages like most other Jabber servers. Gajim expects this capability at the moment but will fix it very soon.

Cheers,
~djc

dcraven
August 25th, 2005, 04:29 PM

You can use GNotify (http://freshmeat.net/projects/gnotify/) for the time being to send messages to a Jabber account on mail arrival.

Cheers,
~djc

izmaelis
August 25th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Go ahead and try sending me IM through Google Talk if you want to. (-:
BTW, what is so cool about Jabber protocol that everybody talks about?

WirelessMike
August 25th, 2005, 04:54 PM
All default settings work fine through port 80, as well (of course).

Also-- Looks like signing on with the same name from multiple locations works, too.

SKLP
August 25th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Works fine with my favorite IM client, Gossip :)
However, server<-->server communications would be nice... ](*,)

asimon
August 25th, 2005, 05:48 PM
BTW, what is so cool about Jabber protocol that everybody talks about?
It's free and open. The core protocols are also standardized by the Engineering Task Force.

ubuntu_demon
November 8th, 2005, 09:46 PM
I now have an googletalk account also :
ubuntu.demonAT....

`GooZ´
November 8th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Here (http://www.google.com/support/talk/bin/answer.py?answer=24073)'s the OFFICIAL howto for gaim.