PDA

View Full Version : Installation of Mythbuntu freezes

colinnwn
October 28th, 2007, 05:49 AM
I'm new to Mythbuntu, but I had Knoppmyth running successfully for several months before the hard drive crashed. I decided to try Mythbuntu this time, but when I chose "Start or install Mythbuntu" I then see

Starting lirc daemon:
*running local boot scripts /etc/rc.local
The screen flickers for a bit and then it bluescreens and says...
Display server shut down 6 times in 90 seconds. It is likely something bad is going on. Waiting for 2 min before trying again on display :0.

I was just starting to learn Linux when Knoppmyth crashed several months ago. I don't understand the problem. Can someone point me to a troubleshooting description for this?

I can get my full hardware specs out in a while. But I think the most relevant item would be this is using my Olevia 32" TV connected through its VGA port as the monitor. I would have thought this would be fine. But do I need to yank the box out of the home theater and hook it up on my desk?

Thanks.

superm1
October 29th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Try safe graphics mode.

colinnwn
October 29th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I tried last night, same problem occurred. Any other thoughts?
Thanks.

superm1
October 29th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Checkout /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old. See if they indicate why the X server is crashing.

colinnwn
October 30th, 2007, 04:01 AM
So I did the ctrl+alt+F1 thing and nano'ed the 2 files you pointed me to. They were both like 1800 lines long. I scanned them and nothing jumped out at my newbie self. I searched them for 'error' and 'EE'. The only thing that came up was
(EE) - AIGLX : Screen 0 is not DRI capable

Does this suggest anything, or is there something else I should look for?

Thanks.

superm1
October 30th, 2007, 04:18 AM
So I did the ctrl+alt+F1 thing and nano'ed the 2 files you pointed me to. They were both like 1800 lines long. I scanned them and nothing jumped out at my newbie self. I searched them for 'error' and 'EE'. The only thing that came up was
(EE) - AIGLX : Screen 0 is not DRI capable

Does this suggest anything, or is there something else I should look for?

Thanks.
Yeah, you can try to disable DRI or AIGLX. See if that helps out. Google for how to do it.

colinnwn
October 30th, 2007, 05:09 AM
I looked around and I couldn't decipher what people were saying about DRI. But it seemed like the prevailing opinion to disable AIGLX was to add the following section to /etx/X11/xorg.conf

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AIGLX" "off"
EndSection

So I nanoed and added the above. When I tried to save it I got xorg.conf can't be written to, access denied. Then I tried saving it as xorg.conf.new and got the same error. Then I realized since this is all of a few seconds into the install routine, it is probably referring to the CD drive and not the HD.

I have no idea how to go about altering the iso to burn on another CD. Plus the way it takes 50 tries for me to get something to work means I would have a nice coaster collection quick.

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable DRI or AIGLX through a command line flag? I'm pretty far out of my realm of competence here.

Thanks.

superm1
October 30th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Yeah edit it with

sudo nano

instead of just nano

After doing this, issue a sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

colinnwn
October 30th, 2007, 05:30 AM
I followed your directions and successfully restarted GDM. I am still getting the bluescreen. Something weird now is that the flickering and bluescreening occurs even in the 1st text terminal while I am using nano (or whatever else). Before it was just in the graphical terminal. When it didn't work I verified in Xorg.0.log that AIGLX was off, and that no new errors were appearing.

Any other ideas?
Thanks.

superm1
October 30th, 2007, 05:42 AM
I followed your directions and successfully restarted GDM. I am still getting the bluescreen. Something weird now is that the flickering and bluescreening occurs even in the 1st text terminal while I am using nano (or whatever else). Before it was just in the graphical terminal. When it didn't work I verified in Xorg.0.log that AIGLX was off, and that no new errors were appearing.

Any other ideas?
Thanks.
Does this happen on a standard ubuntu disk too? If not, you can scp in your xorg.conf in to the live boot session. Also, if this is the case, you can really help the xorg developers corner a related bug by getting your non functional xorg.conf, Xorg.0.log* files, and the functional xorg.conf on a bug tracker.

colinnwn
November 1st, 2007, 03:20 PM
I ran memtest for a couple days at the suggestion of someone on the Knoppmyth board. It turned out fine. So last night I tried loading generic 7.10 on this computer and the exact same thing happened. You suggest I submit this as a bug then, or was it only if Generic 7.10 worked and Mythbuntu didn't?

Thanks for your help.

colinnwn
November 4th, 2007, 04:05 AM
I didn't understand. Since this happens with regular Ubuntu, should I submit a bug to Xorg? Or was that only necessary if Ubuntu worked and Mythbuntu didn't? Also I can't imagine transcribing all of those logs. Is there a good reference for how to use SCP. Would eth0 would be up yet to transfer it across the network? Is there another storage medium I could use? Currently there is no floppy attached, but I suppose I could.

Also, with Knoppmyth the display works until it freezes on formatting the HD at 14%, and Mythdora graphic installation procedure worked until it rebooted for use and then my TV started saying 'Invalid Format'. I don't know if that has any bearing on whether this is an Xorg problem or an Ubuntu problem.
Thanks.