PDA

View Full Version : "Is this Apple?", "No, It's Linux!" ;) "Oh,...You're one of 'those' People."

RAV TUX
October 27th, 2007, 11:45 PM
So last night My wife and I had a "play" date with one of her girlfriends.

Her friend is really cool so we had a great time.

I was just reflecting on something that happened Last night.

Before she came over, she asked if we had Internet. (Reasonable question, since we don't own a television. I haven't owned a TV in about 15 years, and the whole time my wife and I have been married 7+ years we have not owned a TV.)

So we have two primary computers,

1. My desktop with a large screen and e17 Xubuntu...

2. My wifes Notebook/tablet with Windows XP 2005 Tablet Edition.

(3. Third computer-PC-BSD...old computer not plugged in and the bunnies ate through the mouse cord, 3rd time this has happened ;) )

She wanted to show us some of her friends videos on YouTube, and while we have the surround sound speakers hooked up to my wife's computer she wanted to use mine instead with the large screen.

I was overjoyed but didn't give it much thought, honestly.There was NO decision about OS's.

She mainly asked me to be the "Soundman" and hook up the surround sound speakers to my computer. Of course this I did relatively quickly.

...and we proceeded to have fun.

At first she noticed a hardware difference with my Razer Copperhead Mouse that is super sensitive and fast. If you have used a Razer Mouse you know what I am talking about.

Then the Desktop, she found both Opera and Firefox quickly. She choose Opera over Firefox but only because I think the icon was more familiar to her. I don't use the standard Firefox icon.

I let her start in Opera but switched to Firefox(my choice).

Anyway sometime during the process she asked "What is this?" "Is This Apple?"

I replied, "No, it's Linux"...

She replied: "Oh...You're one of those people"

I didn't pay much attention to this reply at the time because we were all having too much fun playing computer.

I did briefly say that, "specifically it's e17 in Xubuntu"...after the preceding discourse, but I new that this was a silly thing to say.

Anyway we played for what seemed like hours but was probably much shorter.

Today I was reflecting back on this and it kind of stuck me odd, in a good kind of way.

1. That here was an introduction to her of an unfamiliar OS, that she intuitively knew was not Windows, her logically guess was; "is this Apple?"
Which told me she was not an Apple user, probably was a Windows user and not a Linux user.

2. The cool thing was that she actually thought that e17 Xubuntu was Apple. Wish is a huge compliment of sorts.

3. The only thing that was uncomfortable for her was the way I have my virtual desktops set up 3x3, which you mouse over into by touching the edge of the screens. I quickly changed this to one desktop, instead of tweaking the mouse settings. All was good after that. I think I will keep it this way.

4. I never asked her what she thought about it, because it was obvious that she was having too much fun sharing her online fun stuff with us. She was able to use everything quickly and enjoyably.

5. What I found especially odd and funny was when she said, "oh...You're one of those people". I took this as an incredible compliment, even though I realize today I am not sure what she meant. ;)
You also have to realize she has an incredibly gifted sense of humor, so what may seem like a Jab, was more in fun. I understand and love her sense of humor.

6. I almost forgot, she put my Firefox to the test, and opened about 20 tabs with YouTube videos, and froze my Firefox. Ok she was having fun with me on this one. She obviously has used both Firefox and Opera before, I suspect in Windows.

(I should also note in here that her Dad works for IBM)

Anyway, just reflecting and sharing. How I had a "Linux" moment without trying to push Linux at all. I was quite pleased that she found e17 Xubuntu very natural, and easy and fun overall.

macogw
October 27th, 2007, 11:53 PM
There's e17 repos for Feisty and it works on Gutsy too (re: your sig). Debian Etch requires that you compile it though :-/ I spent a while doing that.

That's pretty cool, Jozef. How's your coworker doing with her Linux box? What distro's on there? Or is it PC-BSD?

Spike-X
October 27th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Very cool.

Now, tell us more about this 'play' date. Was there...er...photography involved in some fashion, by any chance?

RAV TUX
October 27th, 2007, 11:57 PM
There's e17 repos for Feisty and it works on Gutsy too (re: your sig). Debian Etch requires that you compile it though :-/ I spent a while doing that.

I prefer to "Compile" e17 instead of using the repos...Rui Pais (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=862) has touched on the benefits of compiling, and also has pointed out there are repos in his guide.

That's pretty cool, Jozef. How's your coworker doing with her Linux box? What distro's on there? Or is it PC-BSD?

Good question, she is moving to Miami next month.

She has Knoppix Installed on it but I need to give her a copy of a Xubuntu CD before she leaves.

macogw
October 28th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Good question, she is moving to Miami next month.

She has Knoppix Installed on it but I need to give her a copy of a Xubuntu CD before she leaves.

Miami? Now I never get to hear Tumi! Are she and her girl playing any time soon?

Well you use Gentoo, of course you like compiling :P

RAV TUX
October 28th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Very cool.

Now, tell us more about this 'play' date. Was there...er...photography involved in some fashion, by any chance?We were actually having so much fun we forgot to take pictures. ;)

The term "Play date", is a term that one of the Doctor's at my office that I manage coined. It is a wholesome term, that when you have friends over you play and forget the burdens of reality. A "Play Date". (Meaning when friends are over you just have fun). ;)

RAV TUX
October 28th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Miami? Now I never get to hear Tumi! Are she and her girl playing any time soon?

Well you use Gentoo, of course you like compiling :P

Actually I need to formally invite you to a private session for the office by her and her wife. At the office next Friday at 3:30pm.

They will be giving us a farewell performance. Please come. Call me on my cell for more details. OK. ;)

jgrabham
October 28th, 2007, 12:06 AM
You dont have a TV?? Whats all your furniture pointing at?

macogw
October 28th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Actually I need to formally invite you to a private session for the office by her and her partner. At the office next Friday at 3:30pm.

They will be giving us a farewell performance. Please come. Call me on my cell for more details. OK. ;)

I have class at 3:50 :(

macogw
October 28th, 2007, 12:07 AM

The couch points at the chest/table and there's a fishtank and his bed beyond that. The dining room chairs point at the dining room table, and the remaining chairs point at computers.

RAV TUX
October 28th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Edit: yeah...what she said (macogw (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=137631)). ;)

RAV TUX
October 28th, 2007, 12:09 AM
I have class at 3:50 :(Is there anyway to miss this?..

RAV TUX
October 28th, 2007, 12:10 AM
The couch points at the chest/table and there's a fishtank and his bed beyond that. The dining room chairs point at the dining room table, and the remaining chairs point at computers.

...and if it wasn't for macogw (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=137631) we would have never figured out how to put our table together. ;)

popch
October 28th, 2007, 12:12 AM
...and if it wasn't for macogw we would have never figured out how to put our table together. ;)

I take it, then, that the table is by Ikea?

RAV TUX
October 28th, 2007, 12:14 AM
I take it, then, that the table is by Ikea?JCPenney's

beercz
October 28th, 2007, 12:18 AM
I have gutsy running on my laptop and I frequently take it into the office. When my colleagues see me doing stuff on the laptop I often get asked if I am running Vista!!

Erm ... NO!!

Then I generate a discussion about linux and why I use it. (Usual reasons: stability reliability, free, easy to use, fast, no viruses, no spyware etc etc).

I feel so smug!!!

Spike-X
October 28th, 2007, 12:23 AM
I feel so smug!!!

Oh...you're one of 'those' people!

*smiley*

jgrabham
October 28th, 2007, 12:38 AM
I feel so smug!!!

So you ARE a mac user =D

RAV TUX
October 28th, 2007, 12:48 AM

*smiley*:lolflag:...

I did not talk about Linux because I didn't want to really appear like one of 'those' people.

The simply fact she was using Linux and was enjoying herself was testimony enough about Linux without lecturing.

ticopelp
October 28th, 2007, 01:06 AM
When I was using a Mac, I constantly got accused of being part of their "cult." I got very tired of it. At the time, I was using Windows XP, Mac and Linux, but mere ownership of an Apple product apparently meant I was some smug, hip, brainwashed android. It got very depressing after awhile, as it seems people would rather indulge in mindless generalizations than use their brains. I've never gotten that from being a Linux user, thankfully.

sloggerkhan
October 28th, 2007, 01:17 AM
I have a razer copperhead too, and people can't seem to get the hang of using it. I always have to click down the sensitivity for them. (Till it crawls)

beercz
October 28th, 2007, 01:31 AM

*smiley*
Erm, just wondering, what exactly is one of those people?

Since I am allegedly one of them, I think I ought to know :-)

RAV TUX
October 28th, 2007, 01:42 AM
I have a razer copperhead too, and people can't seem to get the hang of using it. I always have to click down the sensitivity for them. (Till it crawls)
"Oh...You're one of those people"

macogw
October 28th, 2007, 01:54 AM
...and if it wasn't for macogw (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=137631) we would have never figured out how to put our table together. ;)

The chairs were the bigger trouble, if I recall correctly.

RAV TUX
October 28th, 2007, 01:55 AM
The chairs were the bigger trouble, if I recall correctly.ahhh...yes you are correct it was the chairs. ;)

macogw
October 28th, 2007, 01:57 AM
So you ARE a mac user =D

My boyfriend is a mac user. He is constantly saying "oh, and people say we're self-righteous! You freetards are worse!"

* freetard is a word he got from Fake Steve Jobs for those of us who care about software freedom

RAV TUX
October 28th, 2007, 01:58 AM
My boyfriend is a mac user. He is constantly saying "oh, and people say we're self-righteous! You freetards are worse!"

* freetard is a word he got from Fake Steve Jobs for those of us who care about software freedomI feel like this is groundhog day, are you on IRC?

immrlizard
October 28th, 2007, 02:34 AM

Priceless! :lolflag:

Sporkman
October 28th, 2007, 04:07 AM

:lol:

RAV TUX
October 28th, 2007, 05:46 AM

* freetard is a word he got from Fake Steve Jobs for those of us who care about software freedom

Are you back with your your "former" Mac using boyfriend?...or is this a new guy?

-grubby
October 28th, 2007, 05:49 AM

that's a jerky thing to say

RAV TUX
October 28th, 2007, 05:51 AM
that's a jerky thing to say

freetards sounds more like a sweet and sour candy, instead of a beef jerky. ;)

-grubby
October 28th, 2007, 06:52 AM
](*,)

multifaceted
October 28th, 2007, 07:30 AM
"Oh, you're one of those people..."

That is hard to read... It may however, be a facetious spout from an earlier encounter with a zealous advocate.

I have had similar remarks. I usually just tend to shrug and smile them off. It is humorous nonetheless. Kind of funny how people react to even the most mundane of things. :popcorn:

And by that I mean us all :)