PDA

View Full Version : So, EEE launches in Taiwan

Warpnow
October 27th, 2007, 05:05 AM
http://eeepc.asus.com/en/

So, what do you guys think/

Gonna buy one when they hit your country?

There's a review here: http://www.eeeuser.com/

undine
October 27th, 2007, 05:32 AM
I think this is going to bring a lot more people to Linux than Dell.

23meg
October 27th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Gutsy running on the Eee:

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10006278o-2000331777b,00.htm

seshomaru samma
October 27th, 2007, 06:43 AM
I think this is going to bring a lot more people to Linux than Dell.
dont think so, asus just announced they will run Windows on it

Depressed Man
October 27th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Interesting laptop.. not enough power for me I'm afraid though. Makes me wonder when they'll get the powerful laptops down to that size though.

Warpnow
October 27th, 2007, 07:22 AM
dont think so, asus just announced they will run Windows on it

I bet they'll offer both models because they want to keep their price down in order to still be a "cheap" laptop.

undine
October 27th, 2007, 07:39 AM
The default unit comes with Linux. I guess a few fools might opt for Windows (hello to poor performance), but the majority will simply say 'please ship my EEE ASAP', without giving it a second thought.

treis
October 27th, 2007, 09:11 AM
I think these laptops are a few years away from being a viable alternative. 4 GB of storage makes this thing a toy, not a laptop. My music collection alone is 34 GB, and while I obviously could pare that down quite a bit, I can't get it to 4. Once 30 GB solid state drives become cheap enough, then I could see it taking off.

popch
October 27th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I think these laptops are a few years away from being a viable alternative. 4 GB of storage makes this thing a toy, not a laptop. My music collection alone is 34 GB, and while I obviously could pare that down quite a bit, I can't get it to 4. Once 30 GB solid state drives become cheap enough, then I could see it taking off.

That's not a problem for me. For music, I still use my iPod which fits into my pocket. The eee would be for mail, internet and some officing (wp and calc) which I would not do on the iPod in any event.

Yes, a bit more space would be very nice. I suppose I can wait til next year and hope they will put in a larger discoid.

Warpnow
October 27th, 2007, 09:27 AM

You're mistaking a super mobile net and word processing laptop with a desktop.

Personally, I love my desktop. Its so much better than any laptop. Always there, always running. has massive amounts of storage, upgradability, and is relatively cheap to add on to. New 250gb HD is $50 nowadays. You want to add 250gb of space to your laptop? Well, if you have a decently big HD at the moment, its probably not possible.

I think the EEE is for people with already powerful machines. I doubt it could be your only computer but its something you grab when you go to the library or class, or work. Something you take with you and browse the net or work on school papers (or business presentations). You can do these things on a device not much bigger than an average hard cover book its affordable and it has linux.

Don't mistake the EEE for a full pc replacement, because its not. Its a portable device to accompany your PC.

undine
October 27th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Don't mistake the EEE for a full pc replacement, because its not. Its a portable device to accompany your PC.

Exactly. It's also worth pointing out that you can get a 8-gig version.

treis
October 27th, 2007, 10:06 AM
You're mistaking a super mobile net and word processing laptop with a desktop.

Personally, I love my desktop. Its so much better than any laptop. Always there, always running. has massive amounts of storage, upgradability, and is relatively cheap to add on to. New 250gb HD is $50 nowadays. You want to add 250gb of space to your laptop? Well, if you have a decently big HD at the moment, its probably not possible.

I think the EEE is for people with already powerful machines. I doubt it could be your only computer but its something you grab when you go to the library or class, or work. Something you take with you and browse the net or work on school papers (or business presentations). You can do these things on a device not much bigger than an average hard cover book its affordable and it has linux.

No **** sherlock.

The bottom line is that people want to listen to music when writing a paper or browsing the web. They want to be able to show pictures to their friends. They want to be able to do a million things that you can't do with 2-3 GBs of total HD space. Right now this laptop is targeted at users that want a very small 2nd computer for whatever reason. That market is small, and it gets even smaller when the 2nd computer isn't going to even be a real computer. IMHO this is a glorified hand held device.

That being said, there is a huge market opportunity here. Not everyone needs a giant hard drive, and a lot of people will be attracted to the price and size. However, it needs to be to the point where it's at least a possible primary computer. For that to happen it needs more storage.

n3tfury
October 27th, 2007, 11:05 AM
No **** sherlock.

The bottom line is that people want to listen to music when writing a paper or browsing the web. They want to be able to show pictures to their friends. They want to be able to do a million things that you can't do with 2-3 GBs of total HD space. Right now this laptop is targeted at users that want a very small 2nd computer for whatever reason. That market is small, and it gets even smaller when the 2nd computer isn't going to even be a real computer. IMHO this is a glorified hand held device.

That being said, there is a huge market opportunity here. Not everyone needs a giant hard drive, and a lot of people will be attracted to the price and size. However, it needs to be to the point where it's at least a possible primary computer. For that to happen it needs more storage.

i don't want a huge drive on something like this anyway. i don't need my entire collection to go with me (which is almost 500GB of my own ripped in FLAC[/i]) so nothing will suffice. file server or NAS at home and a few nero aac's on the road ftw.

dnns123
October 27th, 2007, 12:44 PM
I've heard that the biggest is 16gb.

I dont have a problem with 4gb cuz I'll probebly just use this is class and in Starbucks.

Go Fluxbuntu!

weatherman
October 27th, 2007, 02:07 PM
any news about putting (k)ubuntu on this thing?

23meg
October 27th, 2007, 06:20 PM
See post #3.

n3tfury
October 27th, 2007, 06:23 PM
i'm pretty sure kubuntu wouldn't do so well on those specs.

Depressed Man
October 27th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Well for the HDD problem, couldn't you just bring your mp3 player (iPod, Zune, Sandisk, IRiver, whatever) and just plug it into USB (assuming this thing has a USB port)? My laptop's HDD wouldn't be able to fit all my music on it (and have space for Vista+Progs and Gutsy+Progs. So I just keep a trimmed list on there (of music I REALLY listen to) and just plug in my mp3 player when I want to access the other music.

chrono310
October 28th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Interesting laptop.. not enough power for me I'm afraid though. Makes me wonder when they'll get the powerful laptops down to that size though.

Well, there are plenty of laptops almost that size with much better specs. The only problem is that you'll be paying like $3-4k for them.

n3tfury
October 28th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Well for the HDD problem, couldn't you just bring your mp3 player (iPod, Zune, Sandisk, IRiver, whatever) and just plug it into USB (assuming this thing has a USB port)? My laptop's HDD wouldn't be able to fit all my music on it (and have space for Vista+Progs and Gutsy+Progs. So I just keep a trimmed list on there (of music I REALLY listen to) and just plug in my mp3 player when I want to access the other music.

that works, provided you have your headphones plugged into the laptop. i'm sure the built in speaker(s) is unsatisfactory like all laptops.

Andrewie
October 28th, 2007, 09:41 PM
this is coming to Canada right? I read some stuff on wikipedia but I'm sure