PDA

View Full Version : Attn: A question for Leopard-using Ubuntu people....

Ken T
October 26th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Take your time to answer this one...

Once you've had a chance to play around with Leopard for a bit, which features do you think are worthy (and particularly, which ones do you feel are a priority) to integrate into Ubuntu? And why?

Other posts in the Hardy Heron forum suggest an emphasis on bug fixing over new stuff, but I'm just thinking into the future...

I guess that some of the changes may involve upgrades to the kernel too (if anyone knows this, please enlighten me)

(NB: I'm aware that another thread asks for comparisons between 7.10 and leopard, but my question has a slightly different emphasis)

K.

omns
October 26th, 2007, 10:07 PM
I think the question should be what elements of Linux have been integrated into OS X Leopard. Leopard from my perspective is the good parts of compiz etc done well.

Scheater5
October 27th, 2007, 06:54 AM
I think the question should be what elements of Linux have been integrated into OS X Leopard.

Here here. Well said.
And as for Ken T's question, please be aware that Hardy Heron is to be a Long Term Service ("LTS") release, and as such there is an emphasis on "polish" and stability as opposed to bleeding edge software. If you are not already aware, Ubuntu has a 6 month release schedule, and of that every 4 releases is a LTS release. Mark Shuttleworth compares this to two release cycles superimposed on each other - stable, but not rock-solid, releases between a longer, hyper-stable release schedule.

Ken T
October 28th, 2007, 02:59 AM
Both worthy replies, and quite valid - thanks.

The way I see it, the exchange of ideas (and their refinement) goes both ways. I'm certainly not suggesting that Ubuntu/Linux simply be a slavish copy of Mac, and as pointed out above, Mac has as much to learn from Linux as Linux does from Mac. Using both OS's as a source of possible inspiration for future development seems to be a win-win to me.

I haven't played with Leopard yet, but it seems they've got some neat ideas / refinements on existing ones (even if they did originate in Ubuntu / Linux). Just curious as to which ones people might be keen to see in future releases (beyond Hardy Heron)...

Thanks,
K.