PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started in programming

9090s
October 26th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Hello i want to start porgramming and making my own applications on windows, which programming language do you advise me to start with?

Thanks in advance

stimpack
October 26th, 2007, 11:43 AM
A high level interpreted language like Python (nicely cross-platform) is probably an easy way to start.

Try to learn about objects early, they seem to be used in alot now. I started with z80/8086/mc68000 and so I think like a machine, I suck at C++/Java etc, so I think try to get the OO ideas early.

LaRoza
October 26th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Python, but you'll eventually learn many others.

See the links in my sig.

pmasiar
October 26th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Python, without hesitation.

wiki in my sig has many links to get you started. See also forum's sticky.

9090s
October 26th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Hmm yeah i am on it but its just "empty" not much things to do :S
I am looking something like VB6 that i can create my program's interface and create my program but something easier or something like that.

Wybiral
October 26th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Using glade you can easily design GUIs for Python. But if you're starting with a language, you should only be concerning yourself with the concepts, not the look. Start with command-line programs and build up to GUIs.

EDIT:

I just noticed you mentioned WINDOWS programming with Python. In which case I believe there's a glade for windows, but there may be other interface designers you can use. At any rate, you should start with command-line applications.

LaRoza
October 26th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Hmm yeah i am on it but its just "empty" not much things to do :S

If you want Windows only programming, and are looking for VB, use VB.

Python has Windows specific features, and easy gui libraries. In fact, the easiest is called EasyGUI.

If you are talking about my wiki, it is not "empty", it has links to resources. It is meant to be a way to get good information without having to sift through a search engine's result.

johnnybirdman
October 26th, 2007, 08:20 PM
If you are talking about my wiki, it is not "empty", it has links to resources. It is meant to be a way to get good information without having to sift through a search engine's result.

Thanks for the link to your wiki, looking at it now. I have been running ubuntu for a little over a year and would really like to learn a language, any language, but having zero formal training in any language, my head starts to spin when I look at this stuff.

ThinkBuntu
October 26th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Beginning in Python, I recommend using TKinter for your graphical apps. As far as I know, it's the friendliest cross-platform library.

Zanthir
October 22nd, 2010, 08:59 PM
I'm not sure why this thread is still alive (and on the Ubuntu forums). But if anyone is doing Windows programming, I recommend C#. It's basically "Windows does Java." Or at least it started out that way. Using Visual Studio there are lots of WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) tools for building forms and windows.

As for programming for Ubuntu, that's what I Google searched for, and I am so surprised I found this above a real Ubuntu programming discussion. *frown*

Anyways, remember to mark this thread [solved].

worksofcraft
October 22nd, 2010, 09:52 PM
I'm not sure why this thread is still alive (and on the Ubuntu forums)...

lol you should check the dates of posts when you arrive there from a search engine. last one b4 yours was in 2007. However I do agree with what you say

Also one might suggest for many forums that old threads get purged because they clutter the results that search engines find. Thus being counter productive.

linux-hack
October 22nd, 2010, 10:01 PM
python, without hesitation.

Wiki in my sig has many links to get you started. See also forum's sticky.

+1

linux-hack
October 24th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Well you must be starting with .Net.
That is much easy and user friendly as well.
Where you can design and and code as well.

Python is much more easyer to learn then .NET. And Python is cross platform ...!!! So in my opinion better to learn.

wkhasintha
October 25th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Go with python bro..

linux-hack
October 26th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Go with python bro..

+ 10 :popcorn:

VenemousWookiee
October 27th, 2010, 04:05 AM
Java if you want to write windows gui apps with free tools. Windows python gui libs are troublesome.

wkhasintha
October 28th, 2010, 03:14 AM
+ 10 :popcorn:

Programming Cannot get more easier than that ;)

mcoleman44
October 28th, 2010, 03:19 AM
Wow... Im surprised at all the python suggestions. If you were using linux as your programming environment then I would agree with python. But with windows, I would go with java or c++. Its a very simple language to learn and it works smoothly on all platforms.

wkhasintha
October 28th, 2010, 04:06 AM
Java if you want to write windows gui apps with free tools. Windows python gui libs are troublesome.

Wow... Im surprised at all the python suggestions. If you were using linux as your programming environment then I would agree with python. But with windows, I would go with java or c++. Its a very simple language to learn and it works smoothly on all platforms.

Yup . As far as GUI's are concerned it's better to build using javax.Swing. because users can run programs platform independently without any configuration changes to the program.

trent.josephsen
October 28th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Yup . As far as GUI's are concerned it's better to build using javax.Swing. because users can run programs platform independently without any configuration changes to the program.
You mean... like with Tkinter?