PDA

View Full Version : How does an MMORPG server maintenance work?

Overbyte
October 26th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Okay so this is not a support question, just another one of those general curiosity things...just move this thread if needed :D

Well we know MMORPG servers need maintenance evey now and then, but how do they work? What do they actually do with say, the entire day the server is shut down? Surely it can't be just defragmenting the database files or whatever :)

Do they run some shell scripts or do "real" maintenance...cleaning up the dust behind the racks, etc.

Or do they just shut it down once every week to save electricity and let the room cool off :lolflag:

Thanks in advance! I've wondered for months about what do these guys actually do in that day :D
EDIT: And why do they have to do it like once a week? Surely servers have uptimes of years...

EdThaSlayer
October 26th, 2007, 06:14 AM
This is my guess:
They leave servers running in a.c cooled environments 24/7 and have a engineer in control of, lets say, 100 servers. I don't think that they shut the servers down, because if it is a popular online came, like Guildwars, there will be people from all over the world wanting to log in. So, yeah, they use a lot of electricity.