PDA

View Full Version : the DCC Alliance's formal standard versus Ubuntu's de facto one?

sapo
August 23rd, 2005, 08:48 AM
http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;565268958;fp;16;fpid;0

Indeed, if there was any downside to the presentation, it was the fact that Ubuntu -- the Debian-based distribution founded by South African dot-com billionaire Mark Shuttleworth that's proven wildly popular since it launched in October 2004 -- had declined to participate. That led me to wonder: Are we witnessing the beginnings of a new Debian standards skirmish -- the DCC Alliance's formal standard versus Ubuntu's de facto one?

I wonder what reasons does he have... what do you guys think?

az
August 23rd, 2005, 04:52 PM
Because the DCC alliance has nothing to do with Debian (proper).

Knome_fan
August 23rd, 2005, 05:17 PM
Because the DCC alliance has nothing to do with Debian (proper).
:roll:

P.S.: There are already countless discussions about this subject, so maybe it would be a good idea if a mod would close this one.
Thanks.

poofyhairguy
August 23rd, 2005, 06:35 PM
this has been talked about so much recently, so this thread is closed.

az
August 23rd, 2005, 08:42 PM
True that there is already a number of threads about this, I do not think one of them has had any genuine discussion by more than two people. I am all for people discussing this.

The fact that this issue is very partisan, I feel uncomfortable locking such a thread. I am concerned that some may think that the Ubuntu community is completely closed-minded in regards to other "competing" debian-based distributions.

I will leave this thread locked, but please feel free to open (yet) another thread if you feel that this topic has been too one-sided and/or that the other threads about this have gone off the deep-end.