PDA

View Full Version : Pure Surprise...Windows and Ubuntu still works.

Presto123
October 26th, 2007, 12:40 AM
I am utterly surprised that they BOTH work since I just did a lot of work on this computer. I changed the Mobo, got a better CPU and changed the RAM.

All I had to do was install the drivers.

Props to both Ubuntu and the Evil Coporation's OS.

-grubby
October 26th, 2007, 01:23 AM
not really that surprising. The only surprising thing is that BOTH work with it. Did you have to reactive XP?

Henaro
October 26th, 2007, 01:48 AM
I've never had the "pleasure" of installing new mobos and procs on linux. But the time for upgrading for me comes closer and closer every day. How was upgrading? Did you have to do anything special after they were installed? You mentioned drivers... how was the installation of them?

Thanks,
-hen

Presto123
October 26th, 2007, 02:13 AM
Well...I have to take 1/2 of this back. Windows just bucked...asshats.

But, in an easy world, the drivers were very easy; even more so in Ubuntu.

Ubuntu just started...problem is that I now have 32 bit with a 64 bit processor, and I would like to upgrade it.

Oh well...Windows just lost me...again.

LaRoza
October 26th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Oh well...Windows just lost me...again.

It is a security feature.

Presto123
October 26th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Yeah, I know...but it still gets me. There should be other ways of checking, like entering in certain things that only you should know instead of requiring this stuff all the time.

N' also, it should just allow you to switch the code and disable the original. That would probably help and keep customers.

Honestly, it doesn't hurt me that bad because I have another computer running Windows, but I need DirectX to run BF 2142.

LaRoza
October 26th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Yeah, I know...but it still gets me. There should be other ways of checking, like entering in certain things that only you should know instead of requiring this stuff all the time.

Are you referring to my joke about the security feature?

Presto123
October 26th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Are you referring to my joke about the security feature?

LOL...that was a joke? I missed the irony of it.

Yeah...I was.

LaRoza
October 26th, 2007, 02:36 AM
LOL...that was a joke? I missed the irony of it.

Yeah...I was.

Now that you say it, I can see the "truth" in my joke. MS needs to realize its customers are not the enemy. It is easier and cheaper to violate every rule in the EULA than it is to go by the book.

dfreer
October 26th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Ubuntu just started...problem is that I now have 32 bit with a 64 bit processor, and I would like to upgrade it..

Unfortunately, this requires a reinstall of Ubuntu. Not sure if it's something that will change in the future, from what I understand of it there's no way around it.

Presto123
October 26th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Unfortunately, this requires a reinstall of Ubuntu. Not sure if it's something that will change in the future, from what I understand of it there's no way around it.

Yeah, that's what I just read. I am currently downloading Gutsy 64. I didn't know the computer wouldn't run as well without the 64. So, I have to see what this little beast (At least to me) can do.