PDA

View Full Version : I'm the new guy and I need some help...

Xtrodites
October 25th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm opening a Internet Cafe/Coffee shop in Boksburg and need some advise and help. Look I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to Linux and that comes from Windows brain washing all the years.:)

I've got 5 new workstation pc's that I just bought for a bargain though they are Celeron and use onboard VGA and Sound I think they'll do the job for now.

3com Office connect dual speed switch 8 plus

I'm also putting in a DSL line 384mbs line with Telkom WiFi modem. Hope it's fast enough.

Now here is the other problem, do I need to put in a server or can I use a P4 3GHz, 1Gig RAM, etc. pc for a server?

Also, what software is out there for controlling the time per user for the internet and how much knowledge is needed to setup the software environment for the Internet Cafe?

I'm right next to a school which will be my biggest client base and I actually want to promote Linux as much as possible. Selling new PC's with Linux installed and you know giving Windows the back seat for a change. What promotional item can I get to advertise Linux in store and where do I get it.

I'd really appreciate help and want to discuss my options. I also want to go on a Linux coarse and get professional and qualified any ideas for good training centers.

Thanx

Ice_Rage
October 26th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Hi there Xtrodites

You can use that 3 gig pc for a server, i would recommend getting another 1 gig of ram for it, also if i were you and have the capital to do so, i would go with the 512 line from telkom. Then the Linux , where do you want to use it, on the desktop pc's that people are going to be using or as a server for those desktops, as Ubuntu comes out with the different versions , e.g. one for desktop pc's and one for servers.

Be warned, the server version, after installation is CLI "command line interface" like Command prompt on windows - you can install a GUI interface, but that is kinda defeating the object of installing the server version.

As for software maybe take a look at SourceForge.net to if they have anything to offer.

As for promotional items - hmmmm maybe have a sign or banner add made up for yourself (not to sure what is out there for the promotion of Linux).

Also hope you planning to put in a Fire wall there.

Some others

Also kind in mind a UPS, anti virus, replacement hardware !

Hope this helps, and all the best for you Internet Cafe

thelocust
October 26th, 2007, 07:57 AM
That a pretty big undertaking maybe somebody on the forum with some experience that lives near you (check out the Loco Teams (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=183) and post your location) might volunteer there time to help you out. You'd be amazed at what geek with free coffee can accomplish.

Xtrodites
October 26th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Hey there,

Thanx for the help you are giving me. I might be getting in over my head here with using software that I don't realy know....:)

I have ordered the Ubuntu 7.10 version for the user pc's and then I still have to get Linux version for the server. Now I have worked a little bit on the old Ubuntu Linux version and it's pretty easy, but the server version was totaly over my head.

I think I'll try and find someone to help me out with setting up the server and stuff. I still have some time though, we're opening only sometime in November.

I'll also go for the 512 line, that's no problem thanx for that aswell.

Do you guys have any advice as to the firewall, timing program for internet usage, etc.

Thanx

Ice_Rage
October 26th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Firewalls, if you looking for an actual device, you looking to giving up your arm and leg along with your wallet, i would suggest maybe an old pc , with Linux and a program called "Shorewall" or " Fire Starter " both are firewall programs for linux,

flarkit
November 8th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Stumbled across a possibly-relevant piece on Tectonic.co.za, about a GPL "cybercafe management suite" (link (http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1427)):

OutKafe includes a management tool, various platform specific user-clients, a control daemon and a postgresql database. Any number of extensions can also be plugged into the system at various points.

Seems worth checking out?