PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Absolutely Rocks!

jimw1956
August 22nd, 2005, 10:09 PM
Over the years I have tried several Linux distributions, even Lindows/Linspire. On all occasions, I would wind up deciding that Linux was just not ready for the desktop...too hard to install programs, poor bundled apps, etc.

That has all changed with Ubuntu! This thing is absolutely great...smooth as silk, extremely fast, and easy to use with a great bundle of apps included in the basic install.

Synaptic works great for program installation, actually better than windows installers.
Keep up the good work Ubuntu.

xequence
August 22nd, 2005, 10:17 PM
I aggree, I love it too =D Ive only ever tried damn small linux and slax before, both live cds so I dont know if ubuntu is better then many others but I have to guess it is since its WAY better then windows and if others are just better, ubuntu wins ;)

Brunellus
August 23rd, 2005, 12:43 AM
I aggree, I love it too =D Ive only ever tried damn small linux and slax before, both live cds so I dont know if ubuntu is better then many others but I have to guess it is since its WAY better then windows and if others are just better, ubuntu wins ;)
Slax is an awesome liveCD, though. I'm working on a slax-like, ubuntu lite....

macgyver2
August 23rd, 2005, 01:00 AM
Slax is an awesome liveCD, though. I'm working on a slax-like, ubuntu lite....
I agree...Slax is very nice. I still keep a Slax mini-cd around for rescue purposes. I'd be quite interested to see your Ubuntu Lite once it's ready, though.

RastaMahata
August 23rd, 2005, 03:24 AM
you mean http://www.ubuntulite.org/ ?

bearbigears
August 23rd, 2005, 03:52 AM
many linux distro's and many headaches, ubuntu was loaded asap after using live cd. i was sold quick.

HURRAH FOR UBUNTU!

\\:D/

slada
August 23rd, 2005, 04:05 AM
+1

Finally a desktop distro that is actually pulling me away from Windows. I have even installed Ubuntu for a number of friends who have very little computer knowledge. They have nothing but praise for the system that just works. :grin:

AlexanRO
August 23rd, 2005, 03:42 PM
That has all changed with Ubuntu! This thing is absolutely great...smooth as silk, extremely fast, and easy to use with a great bundle of apps included in the basic install.

Synaptic works great for program installation, actually better than windows installers.

I won't bother going down the list of distros that I have tried, there is no point. However, I will say this, I could not have said what jimw1956 said better my self, after recently migrating to Ubuntu from Fedora I have finally found a Linux distro that works for me..

Ubuntu is a Rock Solid distro!!!

AlexanRO

acetuk
August 23rd, 2005, 04:08 PM
I have to say that so far (only a day!) it seems excellent.

I'm new to Linux. I've loved the idea of switching from XP to a Linux distro for a while. I even bought a load of magazines which had Linux in as background reading and got a number of free ditros on the cover CDs in the process.

After trying a few months back to get my HP laptop to play (Mandrake didn't seem to want to power my laptop off after telling it to shut down) and having major trouble trying to get my wifi card to work (I now know all about ndiswrapper and driverloader! :razz: ) I gave up. Too much hassle.

But a couple of weeks ago I got offered a voucher for a free copy of Linspire 5-0. Wow! This was it!! My laptop worked with a little effort on the wifi card front.

But for all the really good transitional things for a Windows user there were problems - Linspire ran like a dog. My laptop is not slow (Athlon 2.5 XP, 512mb ram) but Linspire would keep slowing right down. I read around, similar comments from other users on their forums. Updates are promised but that seems some time away. And you have to pay for CNR to get software easily eaxh year.

During this time I also got the distro's bug. I started downloading loads of distro's to potentially try. They were there, sitting on my XP server box, waiting to be burnt to CDs / DVDs.

I tried Debian. Hmmm, I need a nice GUI from the first moment. Mandrake had failed so was pushed away a little. I then tried Fedora Core 4 - oh yes!! Here we go again!! Gnome is great, I used driverloader to get my wifi card running quickly and I was away.

But I started reading far more experienced users talking about Fedora problems. Talk was to try Ubuntu. So last night I downloaded and burnt the CD. It installed perfectly, I played a little to get apt working properly, got my wifi card running and even got to the point to making my own kernel to try.

So I am very happy. One of the problems with Linux distro's is that there is so much choice, a lot of it free. This makes me want to try another. And another. Mandrake is getting good comments, SUSE 9.3 is too. Should I try them? Should I stick with Ubuntu?

It's a nice problem. I started my major PC life programming in COBOL and Pascal on a Unix box. After a long time of Windows 'fun' I am sort-of back, and now starting to really enjoy running my PCs again.

Thanks to all of the distro's for that. Ubuntu is my current choice, tomorrow it might be something else! My server PC (actually just a 'normal' PC running a number of shares and printers) is in danger of getting the Linux treatment!

(Sorry for the long post, my first here - I've been bursting all of today to put something on the forum)

janek87
April 19th, 2007, 01:05 PM
i agree..Ubuntu (7.04) is aabsolutely fantastic:)

Adamant1988
April 19th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Over the years I have tried several Linux distributions, even Lindows/Linspire. On all occasions, I would wind up deciding that Linux was just not ready for the desktop...too hard to install programs, poor bundled apps, etc.

Feisty Fawn is truly a well made piece of work. I have been running it since Herd 5 with the only real issue being when I FIRST started using it there was a bug in Restricted Manager that cause it to improperly detect my ATi card and write to xorg.conf wrong. (broken X)

I helped debugg that and everything has been smooth sailing since. I can say that Feisty is the best Ubuntu experience I've had to date, it's very well done.

karellen
April 19th, 2007, 01:26 PM
yes, ubuntu is indeed great :)!