PDA

View Full Version : Triple-Booting OSX, WinXP & Ubuntu...

[Cyanide]
August 22nd, 2005, 09:44 PM
On my laptop, has anyone tried this yet?

My girlfriend is an Apple user (she has an iBook) & I'm a Windows XP/Linux user. And with Mac's new OSX designed for x86 PCs, I was wondering if anyone here has done it yet or know of a guide out there on how to do it?

xequence
August 22nd, 2005, 10:16 PM
Apple will not release it for normal PC hardware it says. Its gonna be the same as what they have now, same ibook, same mac mini, etc but they will just have an intel chip instead. You might be interested in a project some are doing that bypasses the software that makes you use only apple hardware (and lets you use any PC) but you have to devote a full hard drive to it so no dual booting as far as I know. Its called OS x86, google it for more info. It is basically the developer version but as I said they got rid of the hardware lock in. You cant download any new software for it at the moment, im not sure if you will when the accual x86 software for OSX will come out.

endy
August 22nd, 2005, 10:45 PM
Actually I understand that you can have it pretty much fully working in a few ways (best is with an SSE3 capable processor) and so alot of original Mac PPC apps work on it via rosetta and now some x86 Mac build of apps are coming out like Firefox (http://josh.trancesoftware.com/firefox-1.0+.en-US.intelmac.dmg).

It is, of course, still completely illegal unless you have a development box from Apple. I was hoping to buy my first Mac this year but now I think I'll wait 'til after the change to x86 :)

elpresidente
August 23rd, 2005, 07:03 PM
I am actually posting this from tiger-x86. This PC dual-boots tiger and ubuntu (no windows). Installation and setting up dual boot was quite easy. If you are interested and providing that Apple releases tiger-x86 for the public, check out http://osx86project.org/

I personally am excited to buy my own copy when it comes out.

endy
August 23rd, 2005, 09:30 PM
I hope they do release an install cd for generic x86, it would save me alot of money ;)

nocturn
August 24th, 2005, 07:56 AM
']On my laptop, has anyone tried this yet?

My girlfriend is an Apple user (she has an iBook) & I'm a Windows XP/Linux user. And with Mac's new OSX designed for x86 PCs, I was wondering if anyone here has done it yet or know of a guide out there on how to do it?

OS X-x86 will use TCPA to lock it to certain expensive machines, so running it on your plain PC will not work.