PDA

View Full Version : Balmer appears defeated...

RAV TUX
October 25th, 2007, 04:45 AM
What do you think?

link (http://www.builderau.com.au/video/play/22430644)

wieman01
October 25th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Actually he appears miles away from being defeated. Those guys know what they are doing and they are confident as ever. Mediocre as their software might be, they certainly have a strategy.

toupeiro
October 25th, 2007, 04:51 AM
I'll probably get flamed for this, but every time I see him talk, its either John Madden or George Dubya jr.

This was a Dubya Jr day for him. :lolflag:

Not defeated, but certainly little clue as to what people 'really' think of vista.

n3tfury
October 25th, 2007, 04:52 AM
balmer's such an idiot.

wieman01
October 25th, 2007, 04:55 AM
balmer's such an idiot.
Actually he isn't. That the whole problem with Microsoft... they may sell bad software, but they definitely know how market it successfully.

n3tfury
October 25th, 2007, 04:59 AM
i should clarify. he's not a genuine idiot. it's the things he's been saying lately, makes him come off as one. he's certainly not stupid or he wouldn't be in the position that he is.

RAV TUX
October 25th, 2007, 05:03 AM
What do you think?

link (http://www.builderau.com.au/video/play/22430644)

The key word in the Title is "appears"

I actually think the guy has a cold, but he "appears" tired and defeated...not that he is.

-grubby
October 25th, 2007, 05:06 AM
"There might be 1 or 2 computers that won't run vista" what bologna

smartboyathome
October 25th, 2007, 05:18 AM
"There might be 1 or 2 computers that won't run vista" what bologna (not that Ubuntu exactly runs on every computer)

Plus apple has 5% of the market share now, so microsoft doesn't run on every one but "one or two" computers. :roll:

Sp4cedOut
October 25th, 2007, 06:37 AM
I think he was talking about Windows computers being sold. He's saying all major manufacturers have switched from XP to Vista for their new PCs.

Anyways, he's a long way away from being competed.

Zdravko
October 25th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Who is Balmer and what did he do?

popch
October 25th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Who is Balmer and what did he do?

Chief of sales @ Microsoft.
His job as he sees fit.

wieman01
October 25th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Chief of sales @ Microsoft.
His job as he sees fit.

Chief of sales? No quiet... he actually leads Microsoft as he is the CEO. He even thinks he owns the company.

popch
October 25th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Chief of sales? No quiet... he actually leads Microsoft as he is the CEO. He even thinks he owns the company.

Of course you are right. But since Microsoft does not do anything but sell, does not make him the chief of Sales?

:lolflag:

coffeecat
October 25th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Hilarious! Firefox decided to freeze on me just as the video started, so I force-quitted it and was given the message 'Ballmer: Vista is.... not responding....'

Uncle Fester telling the truth for once? Is this why he is looking so ill?

WhistlerUK
October 25th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Everyone seen Ballmer running around the stage on youtube screeming like a 4 year old? high pitched voice.... hmmm very mature lol.

...Does Ballmer know what Innovation means? MS Said that 60% of Vista machine are Malware free in the news yesterday... well you can't get a basic program to work on it never mind people writing Malware lol!

Spr0k3t
October 25th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Uncle Fester telling the truth for once?

"I am not an expert" - Steve Ballmer

Dixon Bainbridge
October 25th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Actually he isn't. That the whole problem with Microsoft... they may sell bad software, but they definitely know how market it successfully.

It's not marketing, its a monopoly. When you have your software installed by default on nearly all consumer computers, you can afford to look like a prick. Microsoft's marketing is as poor as their software. Its just that it doesn't need to be good.

That will change though. And soon.

n3tfury
October 25th, 2007, 11:27 AM
That will change though. And soon.

will it? do tell.

popch
October 25th, 2007, 12:04 PM
It's not marketing, its a monopoly. When you have your software installed by default on nearly all consumer computers, you can afford to look like a prick. Microsoft's marketing is as poor as their software.

If you can corner practically a whole industry into including your product and excluding all other ones, that's marketing.

I suspect you confuse 'marketing' with 'advertising'.

urukrama
October 25th, 2007, 12:33 PM
"There might be 1 or 2 computers that won't run vista"

Wow! I have both of those computers. lol :-)

Dixon Bainbridge
October 25th, 2007, 12:35 PM
If you can corner practically a whole industry into including your product and excluding all other ones, that's marketing.

I suspect you confuse 'marketing' with 'advertising'.

Thanks for patronising me. :)

I used to own a media monitoring and evaluation company that had Microsoft as a client. I know what Im talking about here.

MS cornered an entire market by astute and often illegal business practices, not through marketing. I suspect you are confusing marketing with leverage.

wieman01
October 25th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Thanks for patronising me. :)

I used to own a media monitoring and evaluation company that had Microsoft as a client. I know what Im talking about here.

MS cornered an entire market by astute and often illegal business practices, not through marketing. I suspect you are confusing marketing with leverage.
If their practices were illegal as you claim, someone would have raised his/her hand (please... don't mention the EU as a good example because it is a very poor one).

It's still marketing after all. How they do it, is actually not the question. The fact that they gained such a huge market share in the first place is all that matters. That's marketing which has been brilliant from day one.

But I agree in that there is less marketing involved nowadays, because they have a unbreakable monopoly which will last for another decade I assume. But that's fortune-telling... who knows what impact the 64-bit computer generation will have on Microsoft.

Anessen
October 25th, 2007, 01:08 PM
"1 or 2 computers"
Wow, I have both of them! :D

(oops, redundant)

Dixon Bainbridge
October 25th, 2007, 01:16 PM
If their practices were illegal as you claim, someone would have raised his/her hand (please... don't mention the EU as a good example because it is a very poor one).

It's still marketing after all.

Not really.

How they do it, is actually not the question.

Yes it is.

The fact that they gained such a huge market share in the first place is all that matters.

Yes, by leverage. Not by marketing. People don't decide to buy a computer with windows on it, they aren't given the choice. It comes as defaut. Most people don't use windows through choice.

That's marketing which has been brilliant from day one.

Err, no. See above.

But I agree in that there is less marketing involved nowadays, because they have a unbreakable monopoly which will last for another decade I assume. But that's fortune-telling... who knows what impact the 64-bit computer generation will have on Microsoft.

There is a thin line between marketing and FUD. The difference is, FUD shows an overt lack of faith in one's own product. Marketing sells the pretence that one has faith in one's own product, when quite often those selling the product know its ****.

wieman01
October 25th, 2007, 01:24 PM
There is a thin line between marketing and FUD. The difference is, FUD shows an overt lack of faith in one's own product. Marketing sells the pretence that one has faith in one's own product, when quite often those selling the product know its ****.
Gates had faith in his product despite the annoying fact that it is did not exist until after he had signed his first deal. Now don't tell me that's not marketing. :-)

You seem to have a very strict definition of marketing. But remember, Microsoft weren't always as powerful as they are today. They also had to start from scratch. Now tell me how did they get where they are today? They had a vision, a strategy, and... guess? Excellent marketing (or whatever you might call it).

DoctorMO
October 25th, 2007, 01:57 PM
He just looks a little sick, maybe he caught a cold; either way it's none of our business here to speculate on the man and his personal business.

I'm concerned more about what the hell Microsoft thinks it's doing when it does some of the things it does. do they think they'll get away with it?

jr.gotti
October 25th, 2007, 02:21 PM
"There might be 1 or 2 computers that won't run vista" what bologna

did anyone else notice how he seemed to yell the word vista there? (around 1:00 into the clip)

wieman01
October 25th, 2007, 02:24 PM
did anyone else notice how he seemed to yell the word vista there? (around 1:00 into the clip)
Yes, I did. Was just waiting for him to do the monkey dance. ;-) Dance, Balmer, dance!

EdThaSlayer
October 25th, 2007, 02:36 PM
It seems that Balmer is not in touch with the real world. Most of the Earths population still live in developing countries, and I don't think they all have dual-core pcs, ATI or some other fancy Geforce card with 256 mb of vram and 300 gb hard drives.

marco123
October 25th, 2007, 02:37 PM
He just looks a little sick, maybe he caught a cold; either way it's none of our business here to speculate on the man and his personal business.

I'm concerned more about what the hell Microsoft thinks it's doing when it does some of the things it does. do they think they'll get away with it?

There's a virus joke in there somewhere.:)

thx11381974
October 25th, 2007, 08:19 PM
"1 or 2 computers"
Wow, I have both of them! :D

(oops, redundant)

He miss counted then I have two also.

Balmer may be at the helm but gates still orders where the ship is to sail.
M$'s patent strategy against Linux is very much Gate's style.
Anyway was the interviewer right? I thought had read Vista's service pack was to be a major overhaul of the kernel.

djsroknrol
October 25th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Boy does he look beat up...BTW..what is that thing on the side of his face????....LOL

forrestcupp
October 26th, 2007, 12:39 AM
I use Vista, and I think Ballmer is ridiculous. Why did Gates have to leave it to him?

Yes I did think he appeared at least a little annoyed. Ballmer isn't very good at holding his composure. To me, that's very unprofessional.

The interviewer wasn't really very slick. I'm surprised Ballmer accepted an interview with that guy.

To be fair, he was talking about 1 or 2 PC models not computers. And he was talking about models currently being sold. The fact that he said PC means that he wasn't including Macs in that statement. Even so, it was still an exaggeration.

thx11381974
October 26th, 2007, 02:31 AM
I use Vista, and I think Ballmer is ridiculous. Why did Gates have to leave it to him?

Balmer is close friend of Gates ever since collage I imagen he trust him implicitly. I think Gates still makes the major decisions he just doesn't run the day to day operations anymore.