PDA

View Full Version : Why Microsoft will never succeed online

blastus
October 25th, 2007, 04:00 AM
Their products are as boring as they are stupidly named with everything having the phrase "Windows Live" in it or even the word "Windows" in it twice...

- Hotmail is now "Windows Live Hotmail" (say that five times real fast)
- Internet Explorer 7 is now "Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP" or "Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows Vista" (shouldn't this be Windows Live Internet Explorer 7 for Windows Vista?)
- Windows Live Messenger
- Windows Live Spaces
- Windows Live SkyDrive
- Windows Live Events
- Windows Live OneCare etc...

If there is one thing consistent about Windows Live ad nauseum is that you do need Windows for it...

Browser not supported

To sign in to Windows Live Account, try upgrading your browser. If you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer, please install the latest version.
If you are using another browser, try upgrading to the latest version of the browser.

DeadSuperHero
October 25th, 2007, 04:16 AM
Good point.
Someone ought to release a "Die" service to compete with it.
That'd be awesome.
"Windows Die Spaces"
"Windows Die Messenger"
"Windows Die OneCare"
But yes, a death theme would be totally awesome!
:lolflag:

n3tfury
October 25th, 2007, 04:40 AM
Their products are as boring as they are stupidly named with everything having the phrase "Windows Live" in it or even the word "Windows" in it twice...

- Hotmail is now "Windows Live Hotmail" (say that five times real fast)
- Internet Explorer 7 is now "Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP" or "Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows Vista" (shouldn't this be Windows Live Internet Explorer 7 for Windows Vista?)
- Windows Live Messenger
- Windows Live Spaces
- Windows Live SkyDrive
- Windows Live Events
- Windows Live OneCare etc...

If there is one thing consistent about Windows Live ad nauseum is that you do need Windows for it...

Browser not supported

To sign in to Windows Live Account, try upgrading your browser. If you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer, please install the latest version.
If you are using another browser, try upgrading to the latest version of the browser.

k.

toupeiro
October 25th, 2007, 04:44 AM
I have to admit, I too have always noticed that it seems MS has some identity crisis issues, having to put MS or Windows in front of everything they name (sans the X-Box so far)

LaRoza
October 25th, 2007, 04:50 AM
(sans the X-Box so far)

But you do get a Microsoft splash screen.

n3tfury
October 25th, 2007, 04:53 AM
and rightfully so.

professor fate
October 25th, 2007, 04:57 AM
I have to admit, I too have always noticed that it seems MS has some identity crisis issues, having to put MS or Windows in front of everything they name (sans the X-Box so far)

Is this so uncommon? Ford Mustang, Ford Ranger, Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup, Campbell's Beef Chunky soup, Ridged Hammer Saw, Ridged Table Saw, etc.

n3tfury
October 25th, 2007, 05:02 AM
sounds like a company to me *gasp*

ScrewdriverClock
October 25th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Oh, they have succeeded online. They are extremely powerful, which is why they can do things like release redundant trivial programs. Oh well, I could care less. Whatever gets me from point a to point b without frustrating me too much.

Joedude
November 13th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Yes, I agree whole heartedly. Konqueror and Gnome have never been known to use annoyingly repetative idiosyncracies. You know like starting everything with a K or a G.

bruce89
November 13th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Yes, I agree whole heartedly. Konqueror and Gnome have never been known to use annoyingly repetative idiosyncracies. You know like starting everything with a K or a G.

GNOME aren't quite so mad about it, although there are many gnome-* programs.

Ubuntu dead would be a good name for an integrated web service.

songshu
November 13th, 2007, 08:08 PM
some more apps that start with a company name here
http://www.google.com/intl/en/options/

tyggna1
November 13th, 2007, 11:09 PM
besides, "live" just indicates that the server works in <near> realtime. It's to attract business clients--since most of them realized that a real-time type server will save/earn them x amount of cents each hour (add that up over a year, and yah, you get the point).

But, I personally believe, that M$ is just lacking in the innovation area--they're just developing old ideas--so the old names work.

BDNiner
November 13th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Has anyone noticed that hotmail live is not supported by firefox on ubuntu but is supported in firefox on windows? There is a little disclaimer on the first screen after you log in saying that all the features are not avaliable on your browser even though firefox is listed as being fully supported?

Daveski
November 14th, 2007, 12:21 AM

These are both expensive / valuable trademarks. God forbid that the great unwashed starts to think that Firefox is a Microsoft product.

Also, there are plenty of people who when asked what Operating System they use reply "I have the Dell OS".

n3tfury
November 14th, 2007, 12:37 AM

lol, so true.

Knyven
November 14th, 2007, 03:04 AM
If we look on it, the only success Microsoft made was Windows, others and lots where failures, so is Windows just a fluke? An accidental company?

If Microsoft was that great, why did they need to do monopolistic acts just to hold on a grasp in its computer shares.

-grubby
November 14th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Has anyone noticed that hotmail live is not supported by firefox on ubuntu but is supported in firefox on windows? There is a little disclaimer on the first screen after you log in saying that all the features are not avaliable on your browser even though firefox is listed as being fully supported?

yes. If you really need it just run it in Wine. Firefox runs nearly flawless in it.