PDA

View Full Version : What do you imagine is better: setting up WEP or using a MAC access list on my r

JacobRogers
October 25th, 2007, 01:09 AM
I just set up an access list and typed in all the MAC addresses of my computers. That seemed like an easier alternative than having a really long password to type in on every computer.

What do you think is more secure?

p_quarles
October 25th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Neither. There are tools available to automate the process of cracking WEP passkeys, and it's easy to spoof MAC addresses. The safest thing is to use WPA or WPA2. And you don't need to type the passkey every time: you can just store it in your keyring.

EDIT: jinx! lol

n3tfury
October 25th, 2007, 01:13 AM
why aren't you using WPA/2?

WEP can be cracked in less than a minute now. mac addresses can easily be spoofed, etc.

*edit* p_quarles damn you

Crashmaxx
October 25th, 2007, 01:34 AM
I just do mac address filtering as I am way in the suburbs. Just to keep neighbors from grabbing it. Sure its easy to spoof mac addresses, but its not like people are war driving through my neighborhood. WPA is such a pain to setup, I just grew tired of dealing with it. 90% of people will leave it alone as soon as they see they can't access it.

n3tfury
October 25th, 2007, 01:52 AM
it's not a pain at all in gutsy.

Crashmaxx
October 25th, 2007, 02:44 AM
it's not a pain at all in gutsy.

Its not Gutsy. Its XP mostly. POS won't connect for no reason and the only thing that fixes it is to re-setup the profile. Then I got to go find the 54 or whatever character hex key and put it back in, twice. Gets old very fast.

original_jamingrit
October 25th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Its not Gutsy. Its XP mostly. POS won't connect for no reason and the only thing that fixes it is to re-setup the profile. Then I got to go find the 54 or whatever character hex key and put it back in, twice. Gets old very fast.

For WPA, keep it on a text file on your desktop, your my documents, or if you're feeling really insecure, a floppy disk hidden underneath a magazine stack.

Maybe there's an application similar to the GNOME keyring manager for windows, that you could download?

Simply because WEP is broken. Very.

Although, for what it's worth, if you have to use WEP, use mac filtering as well as a decent pass.

n3tfury
October 25th, 2007, 04:47 AM

eh? wpa/2 is even easier to set up in XP. my post was directed at the OP anyway.