PDA

View Full Version : Happy with gutsy and yet....

drascus
October 24th, 2007, 05:12 PM
I have been a very happy boy with the new Gutsy Gibbon... There are some really neat features and I think that some of them have really boosted my productivity. I did run into some problems though with my login splash screen and such that I still can't seem to fix but it works other than that. I think this release was really about showing some high power features and discovering if they would work and if people would like them. I like most of them but I think some things like compiz running by default should be culled back. Not that I don't use compiz but to an average user the problems it causes v. The usability is still lacking.
I think that this release really lives up to its name though. It was a gutsy move indeed. I am thinking about switching back to 7.04 though just for quicker boot times and because I really understand the in's and outs of that release not for lack of stability in the current one. I am really looking forward to the 8.04 LTS Release and when that comes out I am probably going to stick with it until the next LTS comes out. For me it seems that being able to understand and know the ins and outs of the release you are using are becoming more important than the latest and greatest features. I must say though good job team and keep up the good work!!!!
~Mike~

Perpetual
October 24th, 2007, 05:15 PM
See if the second post in this thread doesn't help your boot issues...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=581075

WhistlerUK
October 24th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Yeh I had the splash screen issues too, using the 64bit version now and mythtv installed with the Myth centre is amazing... Compiz running... amazing. Looks like there is other issues than the Splash screen tho some people are having problems with the IPv6 slowing there internet down...