PDA

View Full Version : Pc Chips

The Jinx
October 24th, 2007, 05:06 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has used this motherboard and can give me a little review about its compatibility with Ubuntu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813185043

tnseditor
October 24th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Someone in one of their reviews of the product (on the Newegg site) said "For the price you really cannot beat the performance. I was really surprised because of reading the rest of the reviews about poor performance. But i threw on Ubuntu with the gig of ram and it was really snappy and very responsive."

I wasn't sure if you saw that, but it sounds like everything should be fine. I have an older computer with a PC Chips board in it and it has been compatible and reliable.

Flying caveman
October 25th, 2007, 05:52 AM
I'm using a PC Chips M/B right now. But I dont trust that review The VIA CPU';s suck bigtime I had a 1GHz Via C3 it runs like a 500MHz Celeron.

Probably wold run Ubuntu just fine with enough memory but there's probably better buys out there.I

jrusso2
October 25th, 2007, 06:29 AM
PC Chips has always been the cheapest junk you could buy

samb0057
October 25th, 2007, 02:47 PM
My best experiences as far as Ubuntu compatibility have been with Gigabyte motherboards. Check out www.ubuntuhcl.org - it has some information on hardware compatibility.

The Jinx
October 25th, 2007, 02:51 PM
I was trying to build a machine for my sister so she could just do minimal task like search the web and some spreadsheets. If i was to purchase that mobo how much Ram would you think would be needed to make the system run smoothly.

Thanks,
Jinx

samb0057
October 25th, 2007, 02:53 PM
I recently built a system with a Gigabyte motherboard, amd athlon 64 x2 5600+, 2gb ram. It works great, no compatibility problems. I don't remember the motherboard model, but i posted a review for it on www.ubuntuhcl.org. just look in motherboards -> gigabyte.

cyclefiend2000
October 25th, 2007, 04:05 PM
I was trying to build a machine for my sister so she could just do minimal task like search the web and some spreadsheets. If i was to purchase that mobo how much Ram would you think would be needed to make the system run smoothly.

Thanks,
Jinx

i have been watching this seller on ebay. he has been having P4 machines (in working condition sans OS) going for as low as $25 (plus shipping). all different brands (including apple and dell). most would be more than sufficient to do what you want and way cheaper than building your own.

i have been thinking about getting one and setting it up as a file server with either dsl or (the much anticipated) fluxbuntu.

http://stores.ebay.com/Surplus-Computer-Equipment