PDA

View Full Version : Gutsy in the news, But....

WhistlerUK
October 24th, 2007, 05:02 PM
....its not exactly good news:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/24/ubuntu_gutsy_gibbon_ipv6/

When I upgraded I when for the change to 64bit... only problem I had was the boot splash screen which I disabled with the nosplash kernel option in grub... just hate seeing bad press about Ubuntu.

MonkeyBoy
October 24th, 2007, 05:20 PM
That same author slated the Feisty release too. If you check their articles he/she just does moaning and bitching with very little else.

Paul820
October 24th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Take no notice of it, it's a rubbish site anyway. Just because a few people are having troubles does not make gutsy bad.

Phil Airtime
October 24th, 2007, 05:27 PM
That same author slated the Feisty release too. If you check their articles he/she just does moaning and bitching with very little else.

Actually, what they've written is true. I've not upgraded, but someone I know had these exact issues and was most unhappy with the situation!

Not every negative comment made about Ubuntu in the press is "bitching". I'm especially fed up of reading that every critical commentator is some kind of "Microsoft shill", whatever that is.

cogadh
October 24th, 2007, 05:30 PM
They use the suport forums to judge how good an Ubuntu release is? That's just stupid. These are support forums, the only people posting here (other than in the community boards) are people who have had problems and are looking for support. The people who are using it without any trouble at all aren't even here unless they feel the need to post something on the testimonials board or help those who are having problems.

Interestingly, one of the forum links in the article produces a "sorry no results found" forum search.

PmDematagoda
October 24th, 2007, 05:30 PM
The chances of people having the issues given in the article is very slim, also there is no doubt that even MS has chances where hardware may not work whereas it does on Linux. The thing is that no OS is perfect but Gutsy is well developed.

Phil Airtime
October 24th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Interestingly, one of the forum links in the article produces a "sorry no results found" forum search.

That's just an issue with the forum software. You can't link to a list of vBulletin search results; the link expires after a few minutes. No dodgy goings-on!

perlluver
October 24th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Would just like to say I have a Verizon Online Dsl Modem, other than them telling me it is not supported on what's that called again? It has worked fine since I installed tribe 5.

FuturePilot
October 24th, 2007, 05:51 PM
If Gutsy had internet problems I wouldn't be here now:lolflag:
And neither would half of the forum members.

perlluver
October 24th, 2007, 05:59 PM
If Gutsy had internet problems I wouldn't be here now:lolflag:
And neither would half of the forum members.

Agreed!!!

:lolflag:

ticopelp
October 24th, 2007, 06:11 PM
"Umbongo"?

That's not news, it's zero-credibility tabloid trash.

Phil Airtime
October 24th, 2007, 06:15 PM
"Umbongo"?

That's not news, it's zero-credibility tabloid trash.

I like the Reg, purely because it doesn't take anything too seriously.

wpshooter
October 24th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Would just like to say I have a Verizon Online Dsl Modem, other than them telling me it is not supported on what's that called again? It has worked fine since I installed tribe 5.

Yea, don't you just love Verizon's support representatives attitude toward most everything that is NOT M/S. And I know that strictly speaking this is not their fault because this is Verizon's POLICY but it sure woudl be nice if Verizon would come to the realization that not everyone in the world may want to run M/S O/S.

Thanks.

perlluver
October 24th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Yeah I tried to tell Verizon that, I am running Kubuntu Linux, and they said that is not supported, I said maybe you would like to think about it because a lot of people are moving to Linux. Oh well maybe in the future.

MonkeyBoy
October 24th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Actually, what they've written is true. I've not upgraded, but someone I know had these exact issues and was most unhappy with the situation!

Not every negative comment made about Ubuntu in the press is "bitching". I'm especially fed up of reading that every critical commentator is some kind of "Microsoft shill", whatever that is.

When I suggested that the author does "moaning and bitching" I referred to their whole output, not just the Ubuntu posts. They seem to find it easier to write articles slating things.

This wouldn't be a problem if the articles were accurate representations of reality but to say that the Gutsy Release has been greeted with disappointment and dissatisfaction, and that people can't get their network connections running is not very representative. In fact as far as I can tell most people seem happy with Gutsy and have it running nicely straight off the install.

This is just bitchy journalism and it doesn't help anyone to publish this type of biased diatribe.

Also I didn't call anyone a Microsoft shill. In fact that author has taken a few pops at everyone including MS.

ticopelp
October 24th, 2007, 06:43 PM

I don't take it seriously either. I guess that was kind of my point. It's not like The Register is a reputable news source.

WhistlerUK
October 24th, 2007, 11:00 PM

I agree... it fills my day at work... they support linux trust me... plus listen to this pod cast by mark.....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/04/open_season_four_shuttleworth/

Mark on this is amazing... I really support this guy please listen as I think this pod cast has never been on here... and go for the Ogg file and be faithful lol :lolflag:

-grubby
October 24th, 2007, 11:23 PM
just more BS from the media..nothing new