PDA

View Full Version : I'm not happy with Gutsy

DouglasAWh
October 24th, 2007, 04:07 PM
My theme is not nearly as glossy now. My desktop effects are broken. The Screens and Graphics thing (that I was really, really excited about) is still way to easy to eff my X. I've posted in support for the desktop effects issue and the theme gloss thing is not worth fixing.

I had to post anything negative about Ubuntu or open source in general, but if 8.x breaks as many things as this, I might think about going to another distro. Perhaps I'd just switch to Kubuntu, since some of these problems might be with GNOME. Maybe I'd switch to Fedora since they've had better dual monitor support for some time. I was curious about Symphony OS for a while, so maybe I'd try them out. I had thought I was done distro shopping, and maybe all my problems will be fixed with Gutsy, but I just wanted to voice my concern that we might be pushing people away. I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, and I'm certainly not suggesting people go to Vista *shudders*, but if Leopard looks tasty there might be a lot of people going that direction (not me for a while because I just bought a new car and a new laptop this summer and have zero money for a new Mac)...

Paul820
October 24th, 2007, 04:13 PM
My Gutsy is fine, although i don't use those desktop effects. Actually, i'm glad i don't because it seems to cause too much trouble for quite a few people. I want to be able to just use my computer.

I don't think that many will go the leopard direction. I wouldn't, too damn expensive.

PartisanEntity
October 24th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with Gutsy. In contrast to your experience I am fortunate enough to be able to say that everything works and I have no issues at all on my Asus A6K laptop (the Turion edition) with Gutsy.

jrharvey
October 24th, 2007, 04:16 PM
What are your system specs. I have installed gutsy on 4 different machines and they all went very smoothly (except for one problem). I did have trouble running the live cd on an Nvidia 8500gt but after I got past that I did not have any issues. Fiesty Fawn was ALOT more work. Maybe if you give details to your problems someone could help you. Remember that mac is trouble free because it already comes on the system and has been tested MANY times. I personally sold all my macs to get all ubuntu but that's just me. I feel that Gutsy as an OS is Way beyond vista and as equal to OS X. OS X may have more programs but Ubuntu and all of its programs are free :)

danm-koder
October 24th, 2007, 04:19 PM
I have to say that I'm very happy with Gusty, and I really don't think that the hardware is a problem anymore... and believe me ( I have an ATI Radeon Xpress 200M and a Broadcom 4310 Wireless Card ) I know about hardware issues... I upgraded to gusty from feisty and it was smooooth.... :D

anubhavrocks
October 24th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Perhaps you could have posted some information regarding the problems you are facing,the community would have surely helped in resolving the same

helliewm
October 24th, 2007, 04:23 PM
What was your issue with 8500GT graphics card? I want to put Sabaynon on my External Hard Drive but the Live CD will not boot. How did you solve the problem? Its odd I don't have the problem with Gutsy.

Helen

jrharvey
October 24th, 2007, 04:48 PM
My problem was that my screen would just go black forever and freeze up. Im not sure why it did that but I fixed the problem by editing the boot options but after that I didnt have a problem. I ran the live cd and installed with no extra effort. I have installed gutsy on other nvidia cards with no problems though. I LOVE how gutsy automatically detects the screen resolution :)

haha, forgot to say what I did. I started the live cd and from the options at the start of the live cd (start ubuntu, start in safe graphics, check cd for defects....etc..). I highlighted START OR INSTALL UBUNTU and then hit F6 and edited the line at the bottom. I erased QUIET and added NOSPLASH. This fixed it.

helliewm
October 24th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Thas is the same problem I am having in Sabaynon. I want to play with it on my External Hard Drive. Gutsy is my main OS on my DEsktop and both my laptops. I bought the External Hard Drive to play with other distro's. Will try your trick. Thanks. No I am definitely not leaving Gutsy I love Ubuntu, just want to have play with other distro's for fun. Gutsy installed beautifully on my Desktop and both laptops:). Although all 3 are new this summer so very up to date.

Helen

Kingsley
October 24th, 2007, 04:57 PM
You can always use Feisty.

jrharvey
October 24th, 2007, 05:00 PM
OOOOOH I had trouble when i tried to test gutsy beta on my external. It messed up my fiesty on my HDD. It changed the UUID or something like that. I fixed it but I was completely lost when it happed.

Ive never used Sabayon so I dont know what it will do. All I know is that appearantly it runs beryl from the live CD "I think"

Calash
October 24th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I had to do some work before all my desktop effects and such were working correctly.

There is a good guide floating around the Desktop Effects forum, but basically I had to completely uninstall Compiz and pull the older repo. Then I installed from the Gutsy repo and the effects showed back up, however Emerald did not, so I did not have the glossy theme I wanted.

Reinstalled Emerald and ran emerald --replace, everything is up and fine now. This build of Compiz is also playing nice with gdesklets on the widget layer, so I have a dashboard.

And, as a side note, the most recent version of Virtualbox now plays nice with Compiz in seamless mode. No more crashing :)

notwen
October 24th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Thanks for your testimonial. =]

alligoodw
October 24th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I must confess, I'm having a similar situation here. Mind you, everything works with Gusty but this Nvidia video problem is enough to make you want to do hard drugs. At the moment I've decided to wave Compiuz-Fusion altogether. By the way, I have a Nvidia GeForce4 440 graphics card.

What is so strange about the situation is the fact that when I installed Feisty (on the same laptop), I had no problems with it at all; I played with Beryl like one would a new born son. I didn't upgrade to Gusty but did a complete installation. It sort of blows my mind when you think about it.

EdThaSlayer
October 24th, 2007, 06:29 PM
My problem was that my screen would just go black forever and freeze up. Im not sure why it did that but I fixed the problem by editing the boot options but after that I didnt have a problem. I ran the live cd and installed with no extra effort. I have installed gutsy on other nvidia cards with no problems though. I LOVE how gutsy automatically detects the screen resolution :)

haha, forgot to say what I did. I started the live cd and from the options at the start of the live cd (start ubuntu, start in safe graphics, check cd for defects....etc..). I highlighted START OR INSTALL UBUNTU and then hit F6 and edited the line at the bottom. I erased QUIET and added NOSPLASH. This fixed it.

I find it funny that I got the exact same mistake as you did(splash screen problems). Also, the desktop effects didn't work, even though they work perfectly on the KDE distro PClinuxOS2007. I like the Ubuntuforums more though, will probably switch to Kubuntu 8.04 though when it comes out.

What is so strange about the situation is the fact that when I installed Feisty (on the same laptop), I had no problems with it at all; I played with Beryl like one would a new born son. I didn't upgrade to Gusty but did a complete installation. It sort of blows my mind when you think about it.

Seems that my situation before was the same as yours, except that I couldn't get my nice 1280*800 resolution by editing my xorg file, but this then didn't allow me to use the compiz effects.

DouglasAWh
October 24th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Perhaps you could have posted some information regarding the problems you are facing,the community would have surely helped in resolving the same

I've posted in the support forums and not really gotten any help.

DouglasAWh
October 24th, 2007, 06:54 PM
You can always use Feisty.

Good point. Is there any easy way to go backwards?

I guess I should mention that I'm running one of the Dell Ubuntu pre-loads: E1505. It's just the standard graphics card. Hmm, I don't know that there's anything else people need to know. Let me know if there is.

ViRMiN
October 24th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Reinstall is the best way I think; as long as you have your data on seperate partitions at least... you'd have to add any additional apps that you installed though.

DouglasAWh
October 24th, 2007, 07:26 PM
perhaps this is part of the problem: http://www.ils.unc.edu/~whitdoug/Screenshot-1.png

notice how the upgrade (which looks like a downgrade to me....4 to .14) is grayed out...

southernman
October 24th, 2007, 07:54 PM
short of reinstalling Feisty, you could edit your sources list and replace all gutsy references with feisty. short of doing that, you could fix the problems your having, like you've tried to do.

Make it easier on those who are likely to try and help you out there ---->

Go to dells website and pull the specs on your computer. Then list those specs on your support request. This way, only one somebody has to do it... you! Not the opposite where everybody that would bother helping, would have to do this same process.

Locke2053
October 24th, 2007, 07:58 PM

No, they wouldn't. The forums are full of posts about "Screens and Graphics" crashing when enabling multiple screens on ATI video cards. None of those threads have answers. In fact, I haven't seen a single post where anyone got Screens and Graphics to ever work with multiple-screen systems (though I have been searching specifically for ATI systems).

macogw
October 24th, 2007, 08:36 PM
My desktop effects worked automatically, but then I have Intel-everything, so I'll never see a wifi or graphics issue, ever.

What do you mean that your theme isn't as glossy? Your GTK theme or what?

jrharvey
October 24th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I think he was talking about the emerald theme manager. I beleive that you can still use emerald but not the same way you did in beryl. I think you can download "compiz-settings-manager" and there is are ways to mess around but im not sure what it has for emerald.

NoSmokingBandit
October 24th, 2007, 09:01 PM
you have to install compizconfig-settings-manager and emerald in order to use compiz the right way. What bothers me a bit about the desktops effects is that everyone was bragging that it would be built-in, but the most important/useful packages are left for the user to get by themselves.

jrharvey
October 24th, 2007, 09:29 PM
you have to install compizconfig-settings-manager and emerald in order to use compiz the right way. What bothers me a bit about the desktops effects is that everyone was bragging that it would be built-in, but the most important/useful packages are left for the user to get by themselves.

I think they did the right thing by leaving the settings manager out though. It is kinda confusing for someone who has never used it before. There must be over 200 different options. The built in settings are still very attractive though.

SunnyRabbiera
October 24th, 2007, 09:30 PM
I too had some issues...
give another distro a try for a bit, it might work.

jrharvey
October 24th, 2007, 09:35 PM
I have never used another distro but im sure that there are some that handle eye candy way better than ubuntu. I feel like ubuntu is good because its good all around. IDK, maybe I should try others first. I have always wanted to try Open SUSE

SunnyRabbiera
October 24th, 2007, 09:40 PM
yeh there are better in looks then ubuntu out there... but its not so hard to gussy ubuntu up to the way you like it.

jrharvey
October 24th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Ya, the first thing I do to ubuntu is change the entire theme starting frum grub to login, icons, gtk and metacity. I dont leave anything remotely close to human :) I'm sorry but i dislike the human theme, haha:)

DouglasAWh
October 24th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Who does like the Human theme?

I'm not sure what knowing anything aside from my model number and the fact that I have an Intel video card will do, but since someone wants it....

1 223-0455 Inspiron E1505N, Intel Core 2 Duo processor T7200 (4MB/2.00GHz/667MHz)
1 320-4651 15.4 Inch TrueLife Wide-screenWXGA, for Inspiron 6400/E1505
1 311-7357 2GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm for Inspiron 6400/E1505
1 320-5630 Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 950 GM
1 341-3112 100GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive for Inspiron 6400/E1505
1 420-7153 Ubuntu Edition version 7.04
1 313-3958 24X Combo CD-RW/DVD for Inspiron 6400/E1505
1 313-4217 Integrated High Definition Audio, Inspiron
1 430-1918 Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps) for Inspiron 6400/E1505
1 312-0403 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery, for Inspiron 6400/E1505
1 950-3339 3 Year Limited Warranty
1 412-0359 Soft Contracts - Qualxserve
1 950-5442 Warranty Support,2 Year Extended
1 985-3609 Dell Hardware Warranty PlusOnsite Service, Extended Year
1 960-5952 Type 15- Third Party At Home Service with Nights and Week ends, 24x7 Technical Support, 2 Year Extended
1 985-3598 Dell Hardware Warranty PlusOnsite Service, Initial Year
1 980-2890 Type 15- Third Party At HomeService with Nights and Weekends, 24x7 Technical Support,Initial Year
1 960-2780 Warranty Support,Initial Year
1 960-9188 CompleteCare Accidental DamageProtection, Inspiron, 3 Year
1 412-0358 Soft Contracts - Consumer Complete Care
1 310-5408 Free Recycling Kit
1 466-1830 Thanks for supporting reforestation to offset carbondioxide emissions generated topower your system!
1 310-8314 Intel Centrino Core Duo Processor

DouglasAWh
October 24th, 2007, 10:05 PM
My desktop effects worked automatically, but then I have Intel-everything, so I'll never see a wifi or graphics issue, ever.

That is a load of BS. Out of the box my Intel video had problems....it didn't do widescreen without some pushing. So much for Dell testing these machines against ubuntu.... maybe the non-widescreens are fine...

None, I haven't borked X on this one because I knew better than to try to do anything new....so I destroyed X on my work machine, which I do believe has an ATI graphics card. I just got a brand new work machine and I'll give that a shot some time. I only work part time though, so the personal machine is MUCH more important.

As to the glossy theme, the top and bottom bars kinda shined and bubbled. I noticed this problem with Gutsy during beta testing, but I assumed it was because I was testing on my work machine...not so much.

Um, any ideas on the ubuntustudio theme message?