PDA

View Full Version : The bet is on! Ubuntu vs. Microsoft

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

-grubby
October 28th, 2007, 06:10 AM
have fun:-P

meindian523
October 28th, 2007, 06:19 AM
YOOHOOO!I was beginning to lose hope,every page I turned(the forums pages),there were just suggestions and prof fate saying tried that,no go,been there done that......I found this thread one fine day when it was 15 pages long,read through it entirely and posted just so I would receive notification when something new developed..........I'm a fan of prof fate now........great going prof. :guitar:

This thread goes in my sig.

lyndaj70
October 28th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Hey Professor!
Just stumbled upon this thread and wanted to wish both you and your friend the best of luck...

I started playing with Linux about ten years ago, and probably would have gave up in those early days except for the fact that my kids couldn't crash it and loved the games.

I have went from dual-booting to running a laptop full-time with Win2k in a VM for those nagging times I need Windows. My desktop varies from dual-booting to straight Windows/Linux depending on my current system and mood.

My last laptop was rescued from oblivion by Linux, and got years of use before we dropped it one too many times...

I don't know if you will be Windows-free after this bet, but I hope that you gain a better appreciation of the fact that Windows is not the only operating system out there....

Good luck!
:popcorn:

sloggerkhan
October 28th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Maybe now you can get around to doing something interesting with the damn computer.

Soarer
October 28th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Well done. I admire your tenacity.

And kudos to all who helped :)

Bakon Jarser
October 28th, 2007, 08:01 AM
I .I found this thread one fine day when it was 15 pages long,read through it entirely and posted just so I would receive notification when something new developed

You can subscribe to threads without actually posting. Click on the little arrow next to thread tools (just below the page numbers at the top of the page)

jbaerbock
October 28th, 2007, 09:54 AM
For my switch to Linux I used my HP zv6000 and in feisty it works flawlessly except wireless which was an easy fix. In gutsy however I had lots of issues but again they were easy fixes and well documented. Goes to show your experience may differ depending on the hardware. But good luck Prof and I as well hope you loose or at least get interested in Ubuntu and Linux.

stinger30au
October 28th, 2007, 10:18 AM
i see that Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6 is just around the corner...

if you want an version of Ubuntu to try, this is it.

I love Ubuntu Ultimate. Awesome bit of gear

Martje_001
October 28th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Good job professor!!! I hope you enjoy your new system!!

Ps, Write the solution down, for if you later need it..
Ps2. Oow.. and try Songbird (music player). It's still beta software, see my script. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3651681&postcount=227)
Put it in a text editor, save it, make it executable, and run ;)

PartisanEntity
October 28th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Congrats on getting your sound working and greeting from another BG fan :)

pawitp
October 28th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Found this today, congratulation on your patience.
You :guitar:
You might as well try solving problems in #ubuntu, people will either try their best to solve your problem or ignore you being busy with other problems (i.e. Please try again later)

Subscribing...

Flyingjester
October 28th, 2007, 03:34 PM
been following this since the beggining, am SO glad that you found a solution to your sound problem. CONGRATULATIONS!

Frak
October 28th, 2007, 03:56 PM
This may have been discussed before, but what brand of video card do you have.
Also, run this in the terminal and post the output

glxinfo | grep direct

harbdog
October 28th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Very interesting bet you have, its unfortunate you had to deal with sounds issues though, definitely something I haven't experienced in my Ubuntu conversion since 7.04 :popcorn:

Its crazy to think just 2 years ago I only had one PC that had dual boot linux, Mandriva I think it was, and the rest were Windows. Now I have a Ubuntu work laptop (IBM T42P), work desktop (IBM Intellistation), and home laptop (Compaq Presario V2000), all on 7.10 now and none of them had any problems whatsoever with sound, video, or wifi! The only other computer I have left is a Windows MCE for games and TV recordings (I could never get MythTV to work :( )

Anywho, enjoy the rest of your experience!

Frak
October 28th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Very interesting bet you have, its unfortunate you had to deal with sounds issues though, definitely something I haven't experienced in my Ubuntu conversion since 7.04 :popcorn:

Its crazy to think just 2 years ago I only had one PC that had dual boot linux, Mandriva I think it was, and the rest were Windows. Now I have a Ubuntu work laptop (IBM T42P), work desktop (IBM Intellistation), and home laptop (Compaq Presario V2000), all on 7.10 now and none of them had any problems whatsoever with sound, video, or wifi! The only other computer I have left is a Windows MCE for games and TV recordings (I could never get MythTV to work :( )

Anywho, enjoy the rest of your experience!
Sound was fixed.

meindian523
October 28th, 2007, 04:19 PM
You can subscribe to threads without actually posting. Click on the little arrow next to thread tools (just below the page numbers at the top of the page)

Oh,thanks for that info.....wish I knew that earlier.........

professor fate
October 28th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Wow, it's rather mind blowing to see how many hits this thread has received. I really didn't notice it until this morning, and God knows I didn't expect it. Amazing interest and support at this site. Thanks a lot. :)

st4rdr1ft3r
October 28th, 2007, 04:51 PM
how are you getting on now the sound is working?

WanderingKnight
October 28th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Wow, it's rather mind blowing to see how many hits this thread has received. I really didn't notice it until this morning, and God knows I didn't expect it. Amazing interest and support at this site. Thanks a lot.

Well, I hope it's an incentive for you to explore a bit more the world of Linux. I know this perhaps was a rather traumatic first experience, but nowadays it's becoming less and less common. With supported hardware (which is not obscure or expensive at all) any Linux distro worth its salt is an awesome deal. What I hope is that you don't forget about it once you've gotten back to Vista. By far, the best thing about Linux (besides the fact of it being free as in beer and as in speech) is the community, and the sense of being together with someone, of feeling peer trust and support, the sense of belonging to something, of being part of something, instead of relying solely on a faceless corporation who just wants your money. You have just discovered the best thing about Linux, and I hope it leaves a positive impression on you.

I'm not going to yell at you if you turn to Vista and never look back again, because you have made your choice, you have evaluated the options accordingly and made your decision. I respect you a lot for the effort you put into this, being just a newbie Linux user. But please keep in mind that such a support on the Windows side would've been rare, to say the least. Of course, it's up to you to value what you prefer for your PC.

Congratulations on getting the sound working, and I honestly hope you stick around with Ubuntu even after the bet is fulfilled :)

professor fate
October 28th, 2007, 04:57 PM
how are you getting on now the sound is working?

I got the sound working yesterday. On a whim I installed the 64bit version of Gutsy and things finally fell together. Life is much better. :)

st4rdr1ft3r
October 28th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Glad to hear it :)

Need any suggestions with programs just ask.

roaldz
October 28th, 2007, 05:11 PM
I got the sound working yesterday. On a whim I installed the 64bit version of Gutsy and things finally fell together. Life is much better. :)
64Bit Gutsy, that´s interesting:) Do you have the Mozilla Flash plugin working properly? That was a bit of a pain for new users earlier, but not anymore! I think you made a wise decision by trying out Ubuntu!

Well, if you experience more problems, you can always post it. I´ll be glad to be the first one to help you!

Frak
October 28th, 2007, 05:11 PM
This may have been discussed before, but what brand of video card do you have.
Also, run this in the terminal and post the output

glxinfo | grep direct
Please?

st4rdr1ft3r
October 28th, 2007, 05:14 PM
64Bit Gutsy, that´s interesting:) Do you have the Mozilla Flash plugin working properly? That was a bit of a pain for new users earlier, but not anymore! I think you made a wise decision by trying out Ubuntu!

Well, if you experience more problems, you can always post it. I´ll be glad to be the first one to help you!

I've got it running on my desktop at work, they've made a wrapper for the flash plugin so it's as easy to install as on 32bit gutsy.

Toadmund
October 28th, 2007, 05:17 PM
By far, the best thing about Linux (besides the fact of it being free as in beer and as in speech) is the community, and the sense of being together with someone, of feeling peer trust and support, the sense of belonging to something, of being part of something, instead of relying solely on a faceless corporation who just wants your money.

Geez, my eyes got a bit misty there
;):biggrin:

conehead77
October 28th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Grats professor! I didnt think you would make it to be honest, but im glad to hear your sound now works.

jflaker
October 28th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Ubuntu is already almost bullet (idiot) proof in its installation......what it needs is better hardware installation where the average USER can figure out how to get the right drivers.

Free = Unsupported in the the minds of the the user who hasn't ever used anything else,,,,,,,Major marketing effort on the ease of use (set up kiosks in random places??), installation and troubleshooting with the ubuntuforums........

Linux already has a piece of M$ market.........showing that Ubuntu will run on your old hardware (no need to buy high end equipment just to RUN the OS) would be icing on the cake for those who can't afford to buy a new PC every year or so!!!!!

professor fate
October 28th, 2007, 05:30 PM
So far all of the Mozilla plug-ins for 64bit Gutsy have worked for me. I was truly surprised so see that the HP drivers worked. In any case, some comments and thoughts on Ubuntu. Also, keep in mind I'm knee deep into Windows. For example, I have a developer edition of Vista, so I have every flavor in all supported languages...and it's legal LOL.

Pluses for Ubuntu:
1. The repository setup and add/remove software are the bomb. It makes it very easy to select from a variety of software.
2. No anti-virus or spyware updates to contend with
3. Fast as snot on a waxed surfboard. This laptop is quick.
4. Bootup and wireless connection is very fast. I normally don't turn my computers off, but those are desktops. Laptops are different in that respect.
5. Compiz is very nice. I'm not into the cube stuff, but there are other nice features. I don't know which one this is, but one I'm looking for I've seen on Youtube. If one has many windows or folders open, they hit a button and then all the windows/folders get reduced in size and are spread out on the desktop.

The downside:
The Crysis demo was released on the 26th and I can't play it. :(
I haven't looked into it, but does Ubuntu have a DX10 emulation for video drivers? Crysis on a DX10 card is ungodly. Don't know how many gamers we have here.

st4rdr1ft3r
October 28th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I don't know which one this is, but one I'm looking for I've seen on Youtube. If one has many windows or folders open, they hit a button and then all the windows/folders get reduced in size and are spread out on the desktop.

It's the scale plugin. You can set it up so it happens when you move the mouse to the bottom left corner of the screen in the compiz config settings manager.

Forlong
October 28th, 2007, 05:36 PM
5. Compiz is very nice. I'm not into the cube stuff, but there are other nice features. I don't know which one this is, but one I'm looking for I've seen on Youtube. If one has many windows or folders open, they hit a button and then all the windows/folders get reduced in size and are spread out on the desktop.
That's called Scale. Just install compizconfig-settings-manager and set it the way you like (see here (http://forlong.blogage.de/article/2007/8/29/How-to-set-up-Compiz-Fusion) for reference).

kevdog
October 28th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Professor

Now that you are an experienced Ubuntu user, try writing your soundcard solution into a formal How To and submit it to the forums. It would help others. That is what community is all about. You find a solution, post it formally, to save others time and effort.

WanderingKnight
October 28th, 2007, 05:44 PM
I haven't looked into it, but does Ubuntu have a DX10 emulation for video drivers? Crysis on a DX10 card is ungodly. Don't know how many gamers we have here.

DX is one of those things that really show why closed standards hurt so badly. DX10 is not supported under WINE, and it's only a dream for now. DX9 support is still fuzzy. If only game developers hadn't drinked MS' kool aid and had gone for OpenGL instead, things would be so much better now.

professor fate
October 28th, 2007, 05:44 PM
It's the scale plugin. You can set it up so it happens when you move the mouse to the bottom left corner of the screen in the compiz config settings manager.

Great. Thanks for the tip. I frequently have six, seven, or more things open and need to sort them quickly.

professor fate
October 28th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Professor

Now that you are an experienced Ubuntu user, try writing your soundcard solution into a formal How To and submit it to the forums. It would help others. That is what community is all about. You find a solution, post it formally, to save others time and effort.

Will do.

gn2
October 28th, 2007, 06:56 PM
What about doing stuff with Ubuntu that Vista cant?

Like creating a bootable live DVD which will run in other PC's ?

http://tinyurl.com/2euorx

You could even use it to install your current set-up onto your new laptop if you win.

It will be a very cold day in hell when Microsoft will offer that option methinks.

sloggerkhan
October 28th, 2007, 07:05 PM
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9314

If you are up for another challenge.....

I wouldn't try it, personally. But if you ever get bored.
If you want to see which ones work at differing levels of functionality:
http://appdb.winehq.org/browse_by_rating.php

I'd try to stay off the wine for a little while, though.

Frak
October 28th, 2007, 07:06 PM

There is a company that is developing a version of DX10 for Mac and Linux, but it will be a year or two before it is completed.

So, no. MS never directly develops for Linux, they always higher some lacky to do it for them. Always the end result is lacking and Microsoft comes back to say "It's much too difficult to develop applications for Linux because of its blah, blah, blah..." And people stay with Windows.

MS can develop for Linux, they have teams that can do so. (In fact Xenix, Microsoft's Unix port, was much like Linux of today), they just don't want to help a competitor.

Can+~
October 28th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Hey prof, pimp out ubuntu with this, for the ultimate aero-killer:

A simple background for the panels: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/CanXp/canbg.pnghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/CanXp/canbg.pnghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/CanXp/canbg.pnghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/CanXp/canbg.png

Skins for gnome:
http://www.gnome-look.org/index.php?xsortmode=high&page=0&xcontentmode=100
http://art.gnome.org/

Other programs:
-AWN: Avant Windows Navigator (Like the macOS dock)
-gDesklets: Like widgets, gadgets, however you name'em.

I installed Emerald, but, it's not very stable with compiz fusion =(. Although I god it to work reloading compiz with the command line after each change.
:guitar:

smartboyathome
October 28th, 2007, 07:32 PM
-gDesklets: Like widgets, gadgets, however you name'em.

I like screenlets better than gDesklets, though you DO need a compositing manager to get them to work (Compiz Fusion or xcompmgr [available in the repositories] will work for this). They offer better looking *lets in my opinion.

I installed Emerald, but, it's not very stable with compiz fusion =(. Although I god it to work reloading compiz with the command line after each change.
:guitar:

I have had no problems with Emerald. Are you using the version from the repo?

Ub1476
October 28th, 2007, 07:37 PM
If you miss MS Gadgets: Screenlets (http://www.screenlets.org/index.php/Home)

Lots of screenlets here too: gnome-look (http://www.gnome-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=165)

No offence but gdesklets is pretty garbage now:mrgreen:

Can+~
October 28th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I like screenlets better than gDesklets, though you DO need a compositing manager to get them to work (Compiz Fusion or xcompmgr [available in the repositories] will work for this). They offer better looking *lets in my opinion.

I have had no problems with Emerald. Are you using the version from the repo?

Yes, that one. But notice I use fglrx and XGL, is not very solid, but it works. Maybe it will work better on professor's laptop.

And yes, I always mix up gdekslets with screenlets xD.

s_spiff
October 28th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Hopefully this thread, and the intentions of ubuntu'ers results in some HowTo's for utter noobs (newbs) for some complex stuff which the guru's know :D
Btw has anyone dugg this thread? Seems to be one of the hottest on Ubuntu Forums.

s_spiff
October 28th, 2007, 08:26 PM

The howto in my signature will help you out with all the jazzy and fancy vistaish effects. The thread was for 7.04 but I've an updated howTo for new Gutsy Installtions...
oh btw you should try Alien Arena 2007 ( how to available on Here)

Here (http://alokshenoy.blogrunn.com/) the link to my blog where I've posted all the above.

kevdog
October 28th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Dont be to quick to put down gdesklets. I have one laptop that has a rage ATI 128mb mobility graphics card -- it cant run sophisticated composting managers so compiz fusion is a no go. gdesklets has a much less sophisticated docking program, however it does the job for older computers. I know it seems strange, but no everyone can run compiz-fusion.

bobbybobington
October 29th, 2007, 01:16 AM
If you are suffering from counter-strike withdraw, or need some good ol' fashioned shoot em' up try Urban Terror (http://www.urbanterror.net/page.php?6). The linux install script is the easiest way to install

professor fate
October 29th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I will certainly try them out. On a side note, I tossed my SD card in the front slot of the laptop to look at some pictures. HOLY BAJESUS...I cannot believe how fast Ubuntu renders them. I have several hundred pics, all 1mb or larger, and it did them in less than 10 seconds. That impressed the hell out of me.

Can+~
October 29th, 2007, 03:05 AM
I was impressed by the speed of USB 2.0. Usually copying 1 GiB into my PSP took me some minutes in XP, in ubuntu it took around 10 seconds.

I still don't get why XP sucks with USB, even if I reinstalled all the USB drivers. :confused:

p_quarles
October 29th, 2007, 03:14 AM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I will certainly try them out. On a side note, I tossed my SD card in the front slot of the laptop to look at some pictures. HOLY BAJESUS...I cannot believe how fast Ubuntu renders them. I have several hundred pics, all 1mb or larger, and it did them in less than 10 seconds. That impressed the hell out of me.
That's more likely the effect of the 64-bit OS rather than Linux vs. Windows. For a lot of tasks, the cpu width makes little difference, but for anything like rendering, encoding or compiling ... that's when you see the boost. But, yeah, Ubuntu is usually a bit more responsive than Windows, except with Firefox. :(

Anyway, if I can add one more suggestion: give KDE a try. You can install it alongside the default Gnome desktop by typing this in the terminal:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
It'll ask you to choose between "gdm" and "kdm" after doing this. Just leave it in gdm. Now you can use the "options" menu in the login screen to select a KDE session. It's not to everyone's taste, but some of us prefer it.

lyndaj70
October 29th, 2007, 03:32 AM
That's more likely the effect of the 64-bit OS rather than Linux vs. Windows. For a lot of tasks, the cpu width makes little difference, but for anything like rendering, encoding or compiling ... that's when you see the boost. But, yeah, Ubuntu is usually a bit more responsive than Windows, except with Firefox. :(

Anyway, if I can add one more suggestion: give KDE a try. You can install it alongside the default Gnome desktop by typing this in the terminal:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
It'll ask you to choose between "gdm" and "kdm" after doing this. Just leave it in gdm. Now you can use the "options" menu in the login screen to select a KDE session. It's not to everyone's taste, but some of us prefer it.

Hey, can you do that with edubuntu without it wiping out your gnome desktop? I would like to install it for my kid to use but when I tried to go through synaptic it wanted to uninstall my gnome-desktop, which I'm happy with. Any hints?:confused:

r3m0t
October 29th, 2007, 03:38 AM
I just tried installing edubuntu-desktop from aptitude, and it doesn't want to uninstall the ubuntu-desktop package.

I suggest:
1) Open a terminal
2) Type "sudo aptitude install edubuntu-desktop" and press enter
3) Provide password
4) If it puts ubuntu-desktop on the list of things to uninstall, paste the whole text in here.

brennydoogles
October 29th, 2007, 03:41 AM
OK, first of all, how often to threads get moved here? I thought this should have been posted in the \"beginner\" section.

I\'m not going to be a real **** about this. Like, I\'m not going to say, \"Ubuntu doesn\'t have the same font I like, so you lose\". But I do have to be able to do whatever I do with Vista.

Installing Ubuntu should be interesting. I don\'t know anything about it, but my friend claims it\'s the easiest thing in the world....\"much easier than Microsoft\". Well, I will find out shortly.

Damn, I only have 58 minutes of Vista remaining.

Are you a programmer of some sort already?? I have noticed that you escape characters in your normal typing that would only need to be escaped in a command shell. How much do you know about UNIX/Linux??

-grubby
October 29th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Hey, can you do that with edubuntu without it wiping out your gnome desktop? I would like to install it for my kid to use but when I tried to go through synaptic it wanted to uninstall my gnome-desktop, which I'm happy with. Any hints?:confused:

it should if you type:

sudo apt-get install edubuntu-desktop

It won't replace gnome, it runs gnome

p_quarles
October 29th, 2007, 03:47 AM
What exactly did it tell you? Both kubuntu-desktop and ubuntu-desktop are "dummy" packages, meaning that uninstalling them doesn't actually do anything. If you run the command I gave you, it will warn you before it tries to remove anything, but it shouldn't need to.

American_Outcast
October 29th, 2007, 03:57 AM
What exactly did it tell you? Both kubuntu-desktop and ubuntu-desktop are "dummy" packages, meaning that uninstalling them doesn't actually do anything. If you run the command I gave you, it will warn you before it tries to remove anything, but it shouldn't need to.

So they are dummy packages. What do they install just the packages that normally come with an Ubuntu flavor and the display managers?

p_quarles
October 29th, 2007, 04:06 AM
So they are dummy packages. What do they install just the packages that normally come with an Ubuntu flavor and the display managers?
That's my understanding. Basically, the *ubuntu-desktop packages are lists of dependencies, so installing them will automatically fetch all of the correct packages. But they don't actually contain anything in and of themselves.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Can+~
October 29th, 2007, 04:17 AM
I installed kubuntu-desktop on a ubuntu-desktop back in Feisty, and as I remember:

-The boot and login screen was all KDE. But I could login into Gnome or KDE from there.
-Although I liked KDE, I didn't like to have a mixture of both icons/files/folders in one and another, completely messy.
-When I entered in Gnome, I noticed it had KDE icons all over the place.

Conclusion:
Some people may not worry about this issues, but me, personally, hate to have an hybrid in which elements are mixed up. I would love if I could login in gnome, and have a whole gnome-ish config, and a separate whole KDE-ish config. Maybe as separate partitions.. but nah.

KDE was nice though, I'm waiting for KDE 4, and maybe I'll check it out again.

p_quarles
October 29th, 2007, 04:21 AM
If you got a KDE login screen, that's because you selected "kdm" when the post-installation dialogue came up. If you'd selected "gdm", you wouldn't have had any of those issues.

Frak
October 29th, 2007, 04:24 AM
That's my understanding. Basically, the *ubuntu-desktop packages are lists of dependencies, so installing them will automatically fetch all of the correct packages. But they don't actually contain anything in and of themselves.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.
You are correct, these are known as Meta-Packages

American_Outcast
October 29th, 2007, 04:27 AM
This is worth playing around with. I just did the kubuntu-desktop install and I chose kdm rather the gdm on purpose. But it didn't start up KDE. It started up Gnome and everything was where I left it.

Bakon Jarser
October 29th, 2007, 04:48 AM
I just tried installing edubuntu-desktop from aptitude, and it doesn't want to uninstall the ubuntu-desktop package.

What is edubuntu. I've never heard of it but when I start Ubuntu now the graphic that comes up while it's loading says edubuntu. what did I do to make that happen and what effect does it have on my computer?

Heresy
October 29th, 2007, 06:01 AM
Well, if I can't get this sound to work it's a sure bet I've won. LOL. I've spent the better part of 6 hours and have tried every single link on this forum trying to get this sound card to work. Honestly, the last time I had this much trouble with an OS was with Windows 95.

Honestly it was a major problem with my Dell laptop and sound.
Its something about Dell and Ubuntu.
I had to fight the drives because they were seen as scsi devices, modprobing never got the sound detected.
I did get it to work one weird way.

**I did it on 2 different laptops and one would not boot**

I renamed the xorg.conf
sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.back
Then did a startx.
It flashed a bit. I rebooted and everything came back up.

I am passing this along solely as a "If you really want to try item"

professor fate
October 29th, 2007, 08:05 AM
It's midnight and I REALLY need to get some sleep. The problem is there's so damn much stuff one can do with this OS. Tonight I wanted to install HandBrake for ripping DVDs. ("whisper"....I use this on Vista because it's great). So, it only seemed natural to use it on Ubuntu.("whisper"...I also use VLC on Vista too). Well, I wasn't getting any response out of HandBreak. So then I thought to try out the DVD playback. Well wouldn't you know there have been quite a few posts regarding no DVD playback and libdvdcss2. Sure, not a problem. Just find it and install it. BUT...what if you're using 64bit like I am? Each time I tried to install it I got a "wrong architecture" message. This sent me on a trip around the world via the Inet looking for a suitably fixed libdvdcss2 that'll work with 64bit. I found it, but it wasn't easy.

OK...time for sleep. For those that haven't used HandBrake, I strongly recommend it.

PF

Bakon Jarser
October 29th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the recommendation. I've tried using k9copy a couple of times but haven't gotten it to work yet. it seems to be very popular though.

btw, i noticed in an earlier post that you are using adblock. Have you tried noScript? It blocks all javascript from running unless you allow it. a little button on the bottom of the window lets you choose which scripts you want to run. I've tried them both and noScript really grew on me.

sloggerkhan
October 29th, 2007, 08:55 AM
I've always been lazy and used thoggen. I'll have to check out handbrake, though it's apparent lack of a linux GUI is somewhat offputting....
( http://handbrake.m0k.org/?article=download )

qazwsx
October 29th, 2007, 09:04 AM
CLI version of Handbrake is not that hard to use. If you are using 64 bit I strongly recommend compiling. There is an automated script in package that takes care of almoust everything .

http://handbrake.m0k.org/?article=download

More info
http://www.linux.com/articles/114130

cellerit
October 29th, 2007, 12:04 PM
EDIT: Woops you got it working already forget it.

Well, if I can't get this sound to work it's a sure bet I've won. LOL. I've spent the better part of 6 hours and have tried every single link on this forum trying to get this sound card to work. Honestly, the last time I had this much trouble with an OS was with Windows 95.

From here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=577469
This one worked for me.

------
Perform audio fix (I've included my steps, and alternatives from others - choose only one)

* Here's what I did... (* see below for other models this is reported to have worked on)
o sudo apt-get install libc6-dev
o sudo apt-get install patch
o wget ftp:// ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/alsa-driver-1.0.15.tar.bz2 (remove the space after the double-slash)
o tar xvpjf alsa-driver-1.0.15.tar.bz2
o cd alsa-driver-1.0.15
o ./configure --with-cards=hda-intel,emu10k1
o make
o sudo make install
----

pawitp
October 29th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Cellerit, read the thread - he got it to work already

cellerit
October 29th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Cellerit, read the thread - he got it to work already

32 pages... takes time!
well you sure had bad luck with your dell, with my 1520 everything exept the sound worked straight away, i even had the wifi with the live cd. The Webcam and nvidia drivers worked straight away too. The only problem i had was with the sound and someone had just posted a fix, took me 1hour to have a fully working system and i had never installed a linux before. Bad luck i guess. Only thing i dont have right now is a working microphone. (I got steam working on wine fine too, playing tf2 :), well i use playonlinux configurates wine automatically.).

lyndaj70
October 29th, 2007, 01:58 PM
I haven't heard of Handbrake, so I'll have to check it out....

I make copies of DVDs so the kid doesn't make frisbees out the originals. In LInux I have played with K9 copy, xDVD Shrink, DVD95, and DVD::Rip. They don't seem to be as fast as what I used in Windows but they work and time isn't really an issue for me. Haven't gotten a Sony DVD to test on them lately (Seems Sony gives us the most problems in Windows). Thus far I have all of them "just in case" one is unsuccessful, but so far I haven't had to go to a second choice in my experimentation.

Take care!
Lynda

I'm rooting for you! :popcorn:

svtfmook
October 29th, 2007, 02:03 PM
k9copy and k3b is much easier to use for backing up. basically the same as using ripitforme + fixvts + dvddecryptor + dvdshrink + nero, only not as difficult to set up.

professor fate
October 29th, 2007, 02:20 PM
I should say that HandBrake makes MP4 copies. Of the apps I've used that make those kinds of rips from DVDs, I think HB does the best. I know that they have some nice scripts for CLI, but the I was tempted to try the gui. It's alpha and perhaps if I find some bugs it'll help the developer and ultimately encourage more people to try it.

Martje_001
October 29th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Go professor! Good you're trying to help people!

I dindn't knew HandBrake.. going to try it now..

meindian523
October 29th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Prof's got into the Linux subculture......:) .Now I don't mind even if (s)he turns away from Linux.....the idea(ideology?) has spread and will continue to spread.............:guitar:

WinterWeaver
October 29th, 2007, 02:41 PM
hmm... you mentioned 64bit

Afaik, the 64 bit version of ubuntu is still a bit buggy (I might be corrected, but this is what it seems like when reading other posts)

So, I your earlier post, you mentioned that the lappy is a 64 bit?
If so, are you running the 64bit version or 32bit version of ubuntu?

It's probably still better to install the normal 32 bit version of ubuntu. Many of the problems you are having, could be related to the 64bit version.

I have a AMD 64 and running Gutsy 32... it's working fine.

It's just a thought.

Martje_001
October 29th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Prof's got into the Linux subculture......:) .Now I don't mind even if (s)he turns away from Linux.....the idea(ideology?) has spread and will continue to spread.............:guitar:
He ;). If you search, you can find his name :).

meindian523
October 29th, 2007, 02:45 PM
hmmm.For sometime I was wishing prof would be a she due to low number of women in the *nix world...........

Linder
October 29th, 2007, 03:25 PM
I'm going to join in the line of people congratulating your tenacity, Prof. I'm very impressed by your dedication to this bet/project. I really hope you get something out of it and learn something in the process. Me myself got converted by a friend of mine who used Linux and offered it to me as an alternative to windows after me having whined and complained at how much Windows sucked but I was stuck with it.

Installed a few different distros but got stuck with Ubuntu and I've been dualbooting ever since, except that I wiped my drive clean and went 100% Ubuntu with the Gutsy release. Never looking back! ^^

Anyhow, I'm impressed by your attitude, tenacity and willingness to try. As someone above posted: even if you do decide to return to Vista and leave Linux behind, you've learned something and your mind is opened. All of this would be so worth it, even you choose not to be "one of us" ;)

Oh, and welcome to Ubuntu!

dnns123
October 29th, 2007, 03:33 PM
"one of us :lolflag:

Keep up the dedication Prof. Fate! We need more people like you in the community! (Except the bet part)

I really think you should keep a journal on your problems, feelings, solutions found and other things. Then you could post it in a blog and make money by putting google as advertisements. :lolflag:

JoeLinux117
October 29th, 2007, 03:35 PM
I'm going to join in the line of people congratulating your tenacity, Prof. I'm very impressed by your dedication to this bet/project. I really hope you get something out of it and learn something in the process. Me myself got converted by a friend of mine who used Linux and offered it to me as an alternative to windows after me having whined and complained at how much Windows sucked but I was stuck with it.

Installed a few different distros but got stuck with Ubuntu and I've been dualbooting ever since, except that I wiped my drive clean and went 100% Ubuntu with the Gutsy release. Never looking back! ^^

Anyhow, I'm impressed by your attitude, tenacity and willingness to try. As someone above posted: even if you do decide to return to Vista and leave Linux behind, you've learned something and your mind is opened. All of this would be so worth it, even you choose not to be "one of us"

Oh, and welcome to Ubuntu!
I second that (or what, now like 100?). Sorry I haven't chimed in for a while, Prof, had a death in the family.

Anyhow, you may have had better luck with Ubuntu had you tried it with a pre-installed laptop (after all, that's how most everyone gets Windows). The manufacturer makes sure that an OS on a new computer is compatible with ALL of the hardware (so after years of only selling Windows computers, the need for the Windows HCL has pretty much gone away).

By installing Ubuntu on a computer pre-built with Windows, it's like trying out a V8 engine on a Ford Escort. It just wasn't originally meant for it.

The more that manufacturers such as Dell begin selling new computers pre-installed with Linux on them, the more that hardware will have drivers for Linux from the get-go. I'm so glad that you were that willing to try, and I commend you wholeheartedly. Take care!

--JoeLinux

Learn About Linux - A World Without Windows (http://www.learnaboutlinux.net)

Het Irv
October 29th, 2007, 03:47 PM
'Grats on getting the sound to work. I don't look at the Fourms for a day and lo and behold there are 10 new pages. But im glad you got it to work fully.

aaaantoine
October 29th, 2007, 05:17 PM
It's probably not an option for you at this point, but I would consider extending the timeline to 60 days. You've spent half a week working on just getting sound to work, and 30 days also might not be enough time for you to try everything out, and potentially win the bet.

That's up to your friend and you to hash out, though.

rustybronco
October 29th, 2007, 08:48 PM
May I suggest you try the ring switcher plug-in, in the compiz settings manager.

***edit*** how is your friend getting on with vista?

glupee
October 29th, 2007, 09:00 PM

Afaik, the 64 bit version of ubuntu is still a bit buggy (I might be corrected, but this is what it seems like when reading other posts)

It's probably still better to install the normal 32 bit version of ubuntu. Many of the problems you are having, could be related to the 64bit version.

It's just a thought.
I've tried both 32 and 64 and they both work just as well for me.

Inxsible
October 29th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Hot Damn !!

This thread is addictive. Read all 34 pages in one sitting !!

Whew !
Congrats and Kudos Professor Fate !!

Will keep track of it until the D-Day arrives when you declare that you are now an ubuntu'er and you are giving your friend a new laptop !!!!
:)

Can+~
October 30th, 2007, 01:03 AM
I've added a link to an AWN installing guide to my signature. For extra eye-candy.

lancest
October 30th, 2007, 01:17 AM
AcidRip takes 30 minutes to rip a DD DVD to .avi.
(AMD 64 -ASUS DVD RW.) No complaints here!

professor fate
October 30th, 2007, 03:45 AM
Hello,

My goal for the day was to get HandBrakeGTK installed. That's the GUI version of HandBrake for Linux. For those interested in seeing what HandBrake can do, I've posted a video up on http://thepiratebay.com. It's the Bourne Supremacy. If you run a search for it under Movies, you'll see my username next to it. Of course this is strictly for “educational” purposes to see what this app can do. Afterward you are encouraged to delete it. (Covering my ***). :)

My next task is to get KEX 1190 to play on the laptop. I listen to it on my desktop every evening at home, so it's a must have. HandBrake was one as well. I can tick that off the list.

I also want to add that the help guides here are excellent.

On another note, I've been reading some of the other threads. One topic that caught my interest was the “readiness” threads. Is Ubuntu ready for the masses? question. I think Ubuntu is ready for whoever wants to use it. As far as I can tell at this point, its only shortcoming is driver support, and I suspect specialized enterprise software. I only say this because of my years in various business industries, we have never used, to the best of my recollection, any open source software or Linux platforms. I'm sure there are huge companies using Linux for data warehousing. This is just one small example of what I mean though. http://www.businessobjects.com/ This is the kind of company you don't hear much about, but they do millions and millions of dollars in custom software application design and support. It just happens to be for the MS platform.

Is Ubuntu stable? Yeah, I think it is. Can it take on MS in the home computing environment? Sure, I don't see why not. Can it take on MS in a business environment? Of course, if the software is available.

Lostincyberspace
October 30th, 2007, 04:05 AM
This is all fine and dandy for ripping and burning dvds but does any one know how to mount them to use without a dvd player with a iso or whatever the dvd version of an iso is.

brennydoogles
October 30th, 2007, 04:10 AM
This is all fine and dandy for ripping and burning dvds but does any one know how to mount them to use without a dvd player with a iso or whatever the dvd version of an iso is.

VLC.

Frak
October 30th, 2007, 04:11 AM

sudo mount -o loop /path/to/file.iso /path/to/mount/point

jasay
October 30th, 2007, 04:12 AM
Hello,

My next task is to get KEX 1190 to play on the laptop. I listen to it on my desktop every evening at home, so it's a must have. HandBrake was one as well. I can tick that off the list. Is there anything in particular giving you trouble? I was able to stream to the live radio, listen to the recorded mp3's and even see the videos so I would imagine you should be able to as well (with the right plugins/codecs of course).

bpickel
October 30th, 2007, 04:36 AM
PF -
I have the mplayer plugins for firefox and that stream the station (I'm assuming you are talking about the radio station) you may need to grab those. Also if you search a little you may find some GreaseMonkey (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748) scripts to help out, a google or forums search can get you going there.

I used some of these scripts to get some web videos going Fox News etc.

Here is the blog where you can find scripts. You can find Ubuntu-specific ones by searching the forums and Synaptic. Good Hunting !
http://www.greasespot.net/

professor fate
October 30th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Thanks, I'll check this out in the morning. I promised myself some sleep tonight. I was up until midnight last night playing with this laptop.

Soarer
October 30th, 2007, 06:14 AM
I can't play KEX 1190 because I am outside the US. I guess I'll have to stick with the BBC :)

xat_
October 30th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Hello; briefly skimmed through this thread so my response will be as brief. Foremost, commendable effort on your part. You are not exactly within the subset I'd classify as the "average user." Such a person would've ditched Ubuntu very quickly. What many people have warned at the beginning has proven true; there's a lot you can do as far as general tasks go, but when something doesn't JustWork (as the mantra goes), it's possible to hit massive blocks that require serious work. Hats off for going beyond the average user and deciding to take on the task of learning.

As far as Crysis goes, I'm not sure you'll be able to run it in Wine let alone Vista - the system requirements are steep and the demo seems to be an earlier build which performs a bit poorly even on lower settings. That said, you're welcome to try. Shader support in Wine is somewhat limited, but that doesn't mean you're totally without options. I've been enjoying gaming on Linux (Orange Box works decently); maybe the Crysis demo will work somewhat. No guarantees though.
Minor details if you're just glossing over this:
-Shader support in development
-No FSAA

You can check Wine's DirectX development to-do here:
http://wiki.winehq.org/DirectX-ToDo

If you are going to be using Wine it may also be in your interest to add a Wine repo that keeps up with Wine's release cycle (a new version every two weeks). More information here:
http://winehq.org/site/download-deb

As for sound, it sounds like (pun not intended) it really was a matter of new hardware / no drivers (and possibly an architecture mixup when you first downloaded Gutsy; should've asked for your system specs foremost, perhaps). Sadly, with all of the hardware out and coming, there's no way to best speedy support from the hardware manufacturers. And we know where they're aligned. You've come in at a lucky time though. Had this been just a few years ago, the bet would've been decided at your first install.

TitanKing
October 30th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Hi prof, interesting threat, I like the idea. However, if I may point out a few things.

I use Ubuntu in my profession, work I do on it cant be done in Windows. Its very much like comparing apples with bananas. The Linux road is not easy, takes allot of guts and sweat with some swearing, the reward at the end is great. After really learning Linux you will realize the power at your fingertips. It is a great production tool.

In the odd events where I need to use/test a Windows application I would use Virtualbox as it integrates seemlesly. I really think you should not compare the two, rather concentrate on the real power of Linux, the few minor detail Windows can do that Linux can't will be replaced with real important subjects that Linux is capable of that Windows is years from.

Windows is created for the end user, Linux is for from the end user to the hard core computer user. My wife also recently moved over to Linux, and up to now, there was nothing she could do on Windows that she could not do on Linux, it is completely possible.

Regards,
Titan

dasunst3r
October 30th, 2007, 07:59 AM
To get KEX 1190 (or nearly any Windows Media stream in general) working, here's what you might want to do (depending on what everyone else says):
Add the Medibuntu (http://www.medibuntu.org/) repository
Install these packages: mplayer, mozilla-mplayer, and w32codecs
Restart Firefox

bluedragon436
October 30th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Whether you are new to using Ubuntu or have been using it for ever...there are a few things that can be a bit tricky to learn but once u figure it out I think Ubuntu is one of the smoothest running OS's...but that is just my opinion and I wish I could find a friend that would run that bet with me.....Good luck and enjoy

floke
October 30th, 2007, 09:27 AM
On a slight side issue - I had a similar 'bet' with a friend too. He got a £20 laptop from work (an old Tecra (20G HD) they were chucking out)) and agreed to let me stick Linux on it. I pimped it up with Ubuntu + KDE + XFCE + Games etc. and anyway he had no patience and couldn's get his ipod to mount after 30 seconds of trying, so decided to reinstall Windows. Problem was, his IT dept, had given him the wrong rescue discs and didn't have the right ones, so he was 'stuck' with Ubuntu, In the end he just gave me the laptop and is going to get a new HP (with Vista!) at the weekend. My 4-yr old son now uses the laptop to play his games (frozen bubble the current favourite), so I guess you could say I won a laptop because I lost the bet!

de_valentin
October 30th, 2007, 11:30 AM
I follow this thread since day one and it's really great to see the community work so hard to get the professor to loose his bet without forgeting the reality, that it would still be easy for him to win the bet.
I also use this thread to convince my wife to take the plunge and go for it, she allready started to get fed up with XP and she knows better than to take a step backwards by going to Vista.

And of course Kudo's to PF for not quitting while it seemed quite hopeless, you probably have the worst part behind you now.

s_spiff
October 30th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Not to pour cold water on all of us Ubuntu guys trying to help out prof here, but talking of media, it reminds me that, I'm yet to come across a GUI based application which will convert one video format to another ( something like xlisoft) and all free modification of the settings like fps, and resolution. All the posts I've seen in this forum are for command line using ffmpeg. :(.

If I've missed something, someone please pass on the link too :D

lyndaj70
October 30th, 2007, 01:31 PM

It's just a thought.

Prof. Fate started out with 32 bit and couldn't get the sound to work. Plz read the thread.... Had to install 64-bit for sound

lyndaj70
October 30th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Another Pirate Bay fan? Whoo Hooo! I use the "Bay" when I run across operating systems for which I don't currently posess a disk for and need to repair a system for a client. M$ pushed me to that because they refuse to send repair disks for the average vanilla system that's second or third hand DESPITE having a valid key...

I wish there were more support out of the box for winmodems... I get tons of clients with older machines who really need to get away from Win98 but can't afford XP (and have machines Vista would laugh at).

I get so angry when I have to tell a client that their perfectly functioning system isn't "worth" upgrading by the time they factor in a valid Windows license! Makes me sick! If Ubuntu gets better modem support, I'll promote it to all of these clients, of only to save these poor computers from the garbage!

(..eh, sorry for the rant -- touchy subject)

Anyhow, my fiancee, who has been razzing me about how useless linux is for years, has now requested that I "please" put a copy of Ubuntu on one of his computers because he's worried about Vista "calling home" and reporting his usage patterns. He decdided to ask me after I started telling him about this thread, so you're an inspiration, prof.

He's a Windows fanatic, has been for years, so I'm shocked he asked. Wish me luck!

Vadi
October 30th, 2007, 01:54 PM
On a slight side issue - I had a similar 'bet' with a friend too. He got a £20 laptop from work (an old Tecra (20G HD) they were chucking out)) and agreed to let me stick Linux on it. I pimped it up with Ubuntu + KDE + XFCE + Games etc. and anyway he had no patience and couldn's get his ipod to mount after 30 seconds of trying, so decided to reinstall Windows. Problem was, his IT dept, had given him the wrong rescue discs and didn't have the right ones, so he was 'stuck' with Ubuntu, In the end he just gave me the laptop and is going to get a new HP (with Vista!) at the weekend. My 4-yr old son now uses the laptop to play his games (frozen bubble the current favourite), so I guess you could say I won a laptop because I lost the bet!

That's weird, I plugged my friends ipod in (we needed to share something and an ipod was the only way) and ubuntu saw it right away.

dasunst3r
October 30th, 2007, 03:25 PM
For those of you who have experience with both 32-bit and 64-bit on the same machine, was there any performance jump when you made the switch? I'm thinking about doing the same after the semester ends.

Can+~
October 30th, 2007, 03:48 PM
For those of you who have experience with both 32-bit and 64-bit on the same machine, was there any performance jump when you made the switch? I'm thinking about doing the same after the semester ends.

Intel CPU's with a 64 bit architecture are the ones that have a real impact; AMD hybrids can stand both pretty well. Anyhow, everyone should be upgrading to 64 bit if possible, since this is the next step on hardware/software development.

Inxsible
October 30th, 2007, 04:22 PM
For those of you who have experience with both 32-bit and 64-bit on the same machine, was there any performance jump when you made the switch? I'm thinking about doing the same after the semester ends.I had Feisty 32 on my machine and went to Gutsy 64 now.

You won't see a performance jump in smaller apps. But if you perform processor intensive tasks, then you may be able to see 30-40 % increase in speed. Tasks like audio/video encoding, ripping burning etc.

Even if I am not performing those kinda tasks, just knowing that I am taking full advantage of my hardware kinda satisfies me :D

Oh! and if you are afraid something might break, this may give you some hope.
I installed Gutsy 64 bit and everything worked out of the box !
in fact my suspend and hibernate also work (they didnt in Feisty), although I am not sure if that's because of Gutsy or because of 64 bit

bruce89
October 30th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I've found that following Ubuntugeek's guide to tweaking Firefox is a good way of speeding it up, reducing resource usage, and making it more stable overall. A link for those interested:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/speed-up-firefox-web-browser.html

The link is called apt://epiphany-browser actually.

p_quarles
October 30th, 2007, 04:34 PM
The link is called apt://epiphany-browser actually.
Hmm. I don't recall you ever posting your results with that on the browser rendering speed thread.

bruce89
October 30th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Hmm. I don't recall you ever posting your results with that on the browser rendering speed thread.

Which one is it? If you mean the "tests" showed it to be slower, I don't give a damn. Gecko is at fault here, not Epiphany. WebKit is faster than everything and I look forward to the day Epiphany uses WebKit as standard.

professor fate
October 30th, 2007, 04:51 PM
I had Feisty 32 on my machine and went to Gutsy 64 now.

You won't see a performance jump in smaller apps. But if you perform processor intensive tasks, then you may be able to see 30-40 % increase in speed. Tasks like audio/video encoding, ripping burning etc.

Even if I am not performing those kinda tasks, just knowing that I am taking full advantage of my hardware kinda satisfies me :D

Oh! and if you are afraid something might break, this may give you some hope.
I installed Gutsy 64 bit and everything worked out of the box !
in fact my suspend and hibernate also work (they didnt in Feisty), although I am not sure if that's because of Gutsy or because of 64 bit

I will add to this that in some instances certain things have been more difficult to come by. For instance, the libdvdcss2 file for 64bit. I tried installing the one that came on the 64bit CD that I burned, but it said "wrong architexture". LOL. I found the right one but it did take some time. I don't know what others may share the same difficulty since I've on had to look for one. 64bit is nice though.

p_quarles
October 30th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Which one is it? If you mean the "tests" showed it to be slower, I don't give a damn. Gecko is at fault here, not Epiphany. WebKit is faster than everything and I look forward to the day Epiphany uses WebKit as standard.
Right. In this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=583835), you mentioned that Epiphany with webkit would be very fast, and said you would test it. All talk?

bruce89
October 30th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Right. In this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=583835), you mentioned that Epiphany with webkit would be very fast, and said you would test it. All talk?

I did.

Don't know, as there is no dialogue that appears (it's early days for Epiphany with WebKit). The page finishes loading in about 2 seconds though.

There is no need to get angry either.

p_quarles
October 30th, 2007, 05:00 PM
I did.

There is no need to get angry either.
Who's angry?

Anyway, I don't see where you posted your results. Like I said, all talk?

bruce89
October 30th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Who's angry?

All talk?

This is inflammatory.

Anyway, I don't see where you posted your results. Like I said, all talk?

Bloody hell, http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3583973&postcount=13

p_quarles
October 30th, 2007, 05:04 PM
This is inflammatory.

Bloody hell, http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3583973&postcount=13
I think your taking this too seriously. I'm just ribbing you. If you don't want to post the results of the rendering test, that's fine. I've been curious, though, and don't use Gnome, so don't want to test it myself.

bruce89
October 30th, 2007, 05:10 PM
I think your taking this too seriously. I'm just ribbing you. If you don't want to post the results of the rendering test, that's fine. I've been curious, though, and don't use Gnome, so don't want to test it myself.

That is the result. Literally no dialogue appears due to Ephy/WebKit not being ready for it yet. The rendering is pretty fast though.

Anyway, I'm not posting here again.

sonicsmooth
October 30th, 2007, 05:28 PM
If you're a windows user I think a better bet (for your behalf) would have been against XP. Vista is still full of bugs, slowness, over-obnoxious security, bad drivers, etc.

XP has been filtered through the past several years, is a complete breeze to install, has all the drivers, and basically is *extremely* quick and easy to get set up. Sure you have to pay for it, but how much is your sanity worth.

For all the rabid anti-MS religiosity being spewed by coffee dude, Microsoft spends MILLIONS of dollars on usability, usability, usability, and focusing on the user. No, they don't always get it right, and many things are quite frankly retarded, but to say they deliberately screw the user is like saying the church deliberately sends people to hell. They may be mistaken in their efforts, but in its unceasing effort to make money, their goal is to reach the most number of users possible with the most amount of hardware, which unfortunatly means dumbing it down to the nth degree. With windows, as with other things, you have to know what you're doing, but in different ways. With Windows, for instance, you can be security-smart by NOT using IE or OE. IE7 is better, but compared to other browsers I think it lacks speed and grace and convenience compared to Opera, and yes the venerated, sanctified, Holy Firefox.

I have an MSEE, am not a computer beginner, work in a very technical field, have been playing with linux on and off for 10 years (mostly off), and can follow the howtos to a letter. On a few occasions I've had mini home servers for various reasons in the past, but this time around with Ubuntu I'm having a HELL of a time getting the most basic stuff working: dvd (maybe a hardware problem), sound, NFS, SMB, static IP address, xine/video, HDTV tuner. It took a few weeks to get X to work at the correct resolution on my HDTV (I wound up having to disable a max-clock-frequency-check or something in the driver). I had to disable wacom for some completely random and stupid reason in X, I think having to do with video playback (why was it even in there? I don't have a wacom board), the touchpad on my laptop is too sensitive and I can't understand how to update/install the driver, compiling and installing stuff works about 50-60% of the time. I've had to randomly run ldconfig a few times to get new drivers to work. In a word, yes Ubuntu installs easily the first time for completely *basic* usage, including wireless, and the driver support is surprisingly great, but if you want to change *anything*, it NEVER EVER EVER works the first time. Likewise when running mplayer or xine you will be asked to specify things like video driver, decoder, demuxer, file formats, etc, etc. Any truly user-oriented app would NOT require you to choose this stuff, although of course the option should be there if you want to change it. Windows is totally easy to get set up and only pisses you off in ways you're used to.

Anyway, good luck with your bet. Try setting up a home media server with NFS, hardware-accelerated video playback, 1920x1080 resolution on DVI output, Bluetooth connectivity, HDTV tuner, and MythTv (which includes MySQL) vs. Vista Media Center and tell me how you do. You will probably fail before you pull your hair out.

Michael

st4rdr1ft3r
October 30th, 2007, 05:28 PM
That is the result. Literally no dialogue appears due to Ephy/WebKit not being ready for it yet. The rendering is pretty fast though.

Anyway, I'm not posting here again.

bit off topic all this isn't it?

st4rdr1ft3r
October 30th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Try setting up a home media server with NFS, hardware-accelerated video playback, 1920x1080 resolution on DVI output, Bluetooth connectivity, HDTV tuner, and MythTv (which includes MySQL) vs. Vista Media Center and tell me how you do. You will probably fail before you pull your hair out.
Michael

There are alternatives to myth-tv.

bruce89
October 30th, 2007, 05:39 PM
bit off topic all this isn't it?

Hence my last sentence.

gn2
October 30th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Not to pour cold water on all of us Ubuntu guys trying to help out prof here, but talking of media, it reminds me that, I'm yet to come across a GUI based application which will convert one video format to another ( something like xlisoft) and all free modification of the settings like fps, and resolution. All the posts I've seen in this forum are for command line using ffmpeg. :(.

If I've missed something, someone please pass on the link too :D
Have you tried out DeVeDe which is in the repos?

New to Linux
October 30th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Just iinstall a printer driver for a samsung scx-4100. That should be enough to him to concede that Ubuntu can't do everything windows can :=).

st4rdr1ft3r
October 30th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Just iinstall a printer driver for a samsung scx-4100. That should be enough to him to concede that Ubuntu can't do everything windows can :=).

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/printers/0,1000001028,39170574,00.htm

hmmm....

sonicsmooth
October 30th, 2007, 06:36 PM
To whoever posted something about not having a .net environment in linux...

Isn't there mono or something that is supposed to be an OSS version of .net?

Crashmaxx
October 30th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Try setting up a home media server with NFS, hardware-accelerated video playback, 1920x1080 resolution on DVI output, Bluetooth connectivity, HDTV tuner, and MythTv (which includes MySQL) vs. Vista Media Center and tell me how you do. You will probably fail before you pull your hair out.

Let's see, I have the majority of that on this machine right now. I used NFS on it, and it was a LOT easier then Samba was, hardware-accelerated playback works fine, I'm sure 1920x1080 would work if I had a bigger monitor, otherwise I'm using 1440x900 with DVI with no issues, never used Bluetooth though, I prefer my dual SDTV tuner, but I haven't seen HDTV ones being any trouble as long as you buy a supported one, and both the MythTV backend and frontend are running great.

All on this machine, while downloading torrents, browsing the web, and whatever else I need to do. With close to zero downtime and using a RAID 1 array to make sure that it stays that way even if a drive dies. And this machine won't even run Vista if I wanted. Apparently its "too slow", though it's plenty fast for me.

I've had very few problems for such a massively complex setup. I even got Compiz-Fusion running without needing to reboot. Windows systems can be pretty pathetic in comparison. I've been system admin of Windows Server 2003 machines before, and they can't even stay up for a week. They have to reboot at least once every update. And sometimes they like to just have services die with no warning or reason. Or drop a bunch of emails to oblivion. Maintaining those will make you pull your hair out.

Sorry to get off-topic again. Just thought I'd counter. Sure a preinstalled Vista MCE is easy, but massively restricted in what it can do. I'd go for a TiVo again before I went for that. Personally, I outgrew TiVo and by carefully selecting components had no trouble setting up a superior MythTV box.

Crashmaxx
October 30th, 2007, 06:46 PM
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/printers/0,1000001028,39170574,00.htm

hmmm....

*clears throat*
http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Samsung-SCX-4100

Pretty sad for actively trying to support Linux. Shows why open-source is the way to go.

sonicsmooth
October 30th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Relating to some other post regarding browsers and speed, etc.

You may also want to try Opera. I use it exclusively, except when a site doesn't support it for some reason. It's not OSS, but it's free as in beer. Fast, lightweight, customizable, easy adblocking bulit-in, and you don't have the overwhelming-yet-not-happiness-increasing options of FF.

New to Linux
October 30th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestions on a driver for scx-4100. I have been to these same web siites, and tried these same drivers.

Is there anyone currently using this printer with Ubuntu ?

sonicsmooth
October 30th, 2007, 07:52 PM
This was in response to someone who was gleaming about the community and all the helpful advice, at around day 2 of Prof's installation adventure with no sound support. The good-advice-hitrate was about 10%, where finally there was some modprobe.conf setting or something. I'm kind of pissed at linux at the moment so my responses are a bit cynical :)

Yeah... and see how much of that advice has actually been helpful. None of the advice so far has been "install vista to see if it works..."

sonicsmooth
October 30th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Relating to the post from the guy saying there is no 'ps' command in windows...

right click on the start bar and select task manager, then select the processes tabs. It's about as close as ps as you get in windows.

sonicsmooth
October 30th, 2007, 08:04 PM
I've had 7.04 and 7.10 on my dell inspiron 6000 (not the desktop PC I keep griping about), and it actually seems to work okay... sound, video, etc.

nowhere.elysium
October 30th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Been reading this thread from the beginning with great interest...
Nice one Professor Fate: good man for taking up the challenge :)

sonicsmooth: Ubuntu was the only OS that supported the Inspiron pretty much out of the box, when they were new: I bought one as soon as they came out, and found myself swearing at Fedora for weeks. Tried Slackware, Debian and OpenSuse - none were entirely happy with the hardware. It was the SD reader that was the biggest hassle. Fedora didn't like the weird PATA-HDD-run-on-the-back-of-the-SATA-CDD (one of Dell's weirdest design decisions, in my opinion) and so on and so forth.
Anyhoo: I just recently got my new Inspiron 1501 to replace the older 6000, and it's working fine. I've had to install 32-bit gutsy, because of Jack issues, and some incompatibilies with fluxus (the livecoding/VJing software I use for gigs). However, that works just fine. The wireless is a touch flaky, because the broadcom drivers aren't 100% yet, but it's pretty bombproof, otherwise...

Can+~
October 30th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestions on a driver for scx-4100. I have been to these same web siites, and tried these same drivers.

Is there anyone currently using this printer with Ubuntu ?

What version of ubuntu are you using?

I got my printer (EPSON) to work using the printer manager of gutsy. Feisty printer support sucks compared to gutsy's.

sonicsmooth
October 30th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Comment in response to Prof around day 2, staying up till midnight getting his sh|t to work.... BTW I've been up to midnight almost every night the past week trying to get my media server to work.

This seems to be about par for the course for me on my 2+ years-old desktop, but my laptop (Dell inspiron 6000) worked out of the box. Of course I'm trying to do the big media server on the desktop...

bpickel
October 30th, 2007, 08:52 PM
PF- !!! We have chased away the Prof ! Did you get you radio streaming ?

sonicsmooth
October 30th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Let's see, I have the majority of that on this machine right now. I used NFS on it, and it was a LOT easier then Samba was, hardware-accelerated playback works fine, I'm sure 1920x1080 would work if I had a bigger monitor, otherwise I'm using 1440x900 with DVI with no issues, never used Bluetooth though, I prefer my dual SDTV tuner, but I haven't seen HDTV ones being any trouble as long as you buy a supported one, and both the MythTV backend and frontend are running great.

All on this machine, while downloading torrents, browsing the web, and whatever else I need to do. With close to zero downtime and using a RAID 1 array to make sure that it stays that way even if a drive dies. And this machine won't even run Vista if I wanted. Apparently its "too slow", though it's plenty fast for me.

I've had very few problems for such a massively complex setup. I even got Compiz-Fusion running without needing to reboot. Windows systems can be pretty pathetic in comparison. I've been system admin of Windows Server 2003 machines before, and they can't even stay up for a week. They have to reboot at least once every update. And sometimes they like to just have services die with no warning or reason. Or drop a bunch of emails to oblivion. Maintaining those will make you pull your hair out.

Sorry to get off-topic again. Just thought I'd counter. Sure a preinstalled Vista MCE is easy, but massively restricted in what it can do. I'd go for a TiVo again before I went for that. Personally, I outgrew TiVo and by carefully selecting components had no trouble setting up a superior MythTV box.
Yes I had tivo, but now that I have an hdtv I don't want to pay for another one and the motnhly service fee. Ironic that now the online tv listings are $20/year, which I admit is pretty cheap.

My conclusion is that the frustration in linux complements the frustration in windows. I'm using a pcHDTV 5000 card which works, but I can't get xine to read the channels.conf file, nor will mplayer change channels, and I don't get crap with mythbuntu.

I have yet to try freevo or the others.

i did have NFS working but somehow it died.

anyway, back to work...

Griffiss
October 30th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Decided not to respond to this thread until i'd read to the end.. started when it was ~4 pages long, but it grows FAST. Just finished it!

Anyway, it's been a very interesting thread to follow, and exemplifies the quality of the community and ethos of Ubuntu.

The suggestion that's personally impressed me is Urban Terror (http://www.urbanterror.net/page.php?6) - didn't know gaming could be like this in Ubuntu!

All the best Professor Fate, I hope you'll find that you'll win the bet either way.

Griff

professor fate
October 30th, 2007, 10:39 PM
PF- !!! We have chased away the Prof ! Did you get you radio streaming ?

No, you haven't chased me away. I will work on it tonight.

josys36
October 30th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Thanks. I do know that I\'ll be using a laptop, and it\'s one of those new Dell Vostro numbers. I don\'t know the exact model though. My friend is bringing it by in the morning. Part of the bet was that he got to pick the laptop. I\'m assuming he did this because this Vostro works with Ubuntu. I don\'t know. hav

God...I only have 34 mintues left.

What in the world is with all the \ in your posts. It is so darn hard to read with \ in the \ middle\ of \\\every \\\\line you\\\\type.

By the way I think this is a stupid bet. You would be better at just running Vista if that is what you like. I say run what you like!

Jason

Het Irv
October 30th, 2007, 10:54 PM
@josys36
Someone Didn't read the whole thing (but I'm not blaming you). The Prof is quickly becoming a Ubuntu favor Linux Geek. :guitar:

Right now it look like he will lose the bet.

Hey Prof, how many days left?

Frak
October 30th, 2007, 11:05 PM
What in the world is with all the \ in your posts. It is so darn hard to read with \ in the \ middle\ of \\\every \\\\line you\\\\type.

By the way I think this is a stupid bet. You would be better at just running Vista if that is what you like. I say run what you like!

Jason
I think he's escaping the 's.

EDIT
I also think all people should keep an open mind. It's not very wise to choose one thing and settle with it. In fact, you'll see me Distro hop alot. I just like to exercise my right of choice.

hellmet
October 30th, 2007, 11:43 PM
I like your siggy, prof_fate. Shows your spirit.

Vitamin-Carrot
October 31st, 2007, 02:46 AM
THis is exactly one of the reasons why i like using ubuntu now over anything else.

Look at all the love you have received and the amount of ppl that have stepped foreward to help you.

I FEEL THE LOVIN!:KS

professor fate
October 31st, 2007, 02:46 AM
Just how far will he go?

Well, I've been trying to get KEX 1190 for quite some time today. Fiddled with it at work...found some free time..and have been on it for a few hours at home. No luck.

So...I did the unthinkable..
I wiped the drive and reinstalled with 32bit. LOL. Yes, no joke. I downloaded another ISO and burned it at 4x (slow cookin'). Believe it or not I got the sound to work too! Back to KEX....

I installed Medibuntu, MPlayer, Mozilla-plugin, and w32Codecs. I white listed the entire KEX site on Adblock. Still no luck. :confused:

PS..I'm diggin' the Conkyrc screen shots. Kewl.

bpickel
October 31st, 2007, 03:19 AM
Are you using Firefox ? Or Swiftweasle. It might sound odd but you may need a script for greasemonkey that was written to make foxnews video work. It also affects lots of other streaming media. The script is here :

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/1371

You will need to be using FF (I believe). And install the greasemonkey add-on. There are install links in the page above that will install the script as long as you have the add-on installed and active. Let me know if that helps.

professor fate
October 31st, 2007, 03:24 AM
I'm using FF

bpickel
October 31st, 2007, 03:32 AM
Give the script a try and look around that site lots of nifty scripts. GreaseMonkey rules.

professor fate
October 31st, 2007, 04:34 AM
OK....I didn't have much luck with Greasemonkey, but thanks for the attempt. I did though figure out how to change the font colors on the menu panel. Nice. Black fonts with a black background just weren't cutting it. I'll continue to play with KEX 1190.

Crashmaxx
October 31st, 2007, 04:38 AM
Might want to try Media Player Connectivity. It lets you open any stream with any player you want. Using it I had no trouble with KEX 1190, the annoying ad even played.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/446

Once you find the stream URL you can do a couple things. Install streamtuner and play it with that, or even setup a simple script to open the URL with mplayer in the background. I do something similar to the later for XM online. Of course, they require a username and password, and they also supply current song info. The script logs in, opens mplayer, and displays the song info in a bubble in the corner. It was originally intended for MythTV, but I run it by itself a lot.

brew1brew
October 31st, 2007, 04:40 AM
I'm running Kubuntu 64 bit, I have 32 bit firefox installed with script (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202537) from user KILZ. it installs most of the critical plugins for 32 bit firefox including Mplayer. I am able to listen to your radio station, kex 1190.

Les

P.S. I hope you enjoy your time on Linux, hope you decide to stay.

professor fate
October 31st, 2007, 04:47 AM
Might want to try Media Player Connectivity. It lets you open any stream with any player you want. Using it I had no trouble with KEX 1190, the annoying ad even played.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/446

Once you find the stream URL you can do a couple things. Install streamtuner and play it with that, or even setup a simple script to open the URL with mplayer in the background. I do something similar to the later for XM online. Of course, they require a username and password, and they also supply current song info. The script logs in, opens mplayer, and displays song info in a bubble in the corner. It was originally intended for MythTV, but I run it by itself a lot.

KaBOOM!
That was the ticket. Thank you very much. One more off the tick list.

drascus
October 31st, 2007, 05:03 AM
OK Well I think your friend is being a bit silly actually going along with this bet. Its not that Ubuntu is not a good OS I wouldn't use anything else. However there is going to be differences and at first you will not be able to do certain things and it will take you a while to figure out the new ways to do those things. This is the same Idea if you switched from Mac OS to Windows which one is better? Mac guys will scream Mac. Windows guys will scream Windows? Gnu/Linux users will chuckle and go on doing what we have been. That's is why for me the functionality is kind of a secondary aspect. I am more interested in using Gnu/linux because its free software and I believe in freedom. I can put up with the bugs and problems if I am free.

sloggerkhan
October 31st, 2007, 06:24 AM
You can get that stream playing without even using mplayer... I think with the extra gstreamer plugins/codecs whatever you call them it will work too. (At least I can play it and I won't install mplayer.)

TitanKing
October 31st, 2007, 08:06 AM
So...I did the unthinkable..
I wiped the drive and reinstalled with 32bit. LOL. Yes, no joke. I downloaded another ISO and burned it at 4x (slow cookin'). Believe it or not I got the sound to work too! Back to KEX....

Right thing to do, 64bit is not worth the trouble, not in Windows nor Linux, except for server with more then 4GB of ram.

Arthur Archnix
October 31st, 2007, 08:47 AM
What a fun idea. Start a blog about this and I'd digg it.

st4rdr1ft3r
October 31st, 2007, 09:04 AM
It's working for me and all i installed was libdvdcss2 & w32codecs from medibuntu and the ubuntu-restricted-extras package in the ubuntu repos using the totem-mozilla package.

macogw
October 31st, 2007, 09:24 AM
OK, first of all, how often to threads get moved here? I thought this should have been posted in the \"beginner\" section.

I\'m not going to be a real **** about this. Like, I\'m not going to say, \"Ubuntu doesn\'t have the same font I like, so you lose\". But I do have to be able to do whatever I do with Vista.

Installing Ubuntu should be interesting. I don\'t know anything about it, but my friend claims it\'s the easiest thing in the world....\"much easier than Microsoft\". Well, I will find out shortly.

Damn, I only have 58 minutes of Vista remaining.
Escaping your quotes isn't necessary on a messageboard.

wild_oscar
October 31st, 2007, 12:03 PM
Haven't read the entire 40 posts, but there is one thing I haven't had any success with yet:

- having my HTC P3600 (trinity) smartphone, with Windows Mobile 5 (WM5), synchronize with my Ubuntu and my Evolution contacts and tasks in the same great way it did with Outlook.

In fact, I never got it to work on linux.

de_valentin
October 31st, 2007, 12:32 PM
That's a familiar problem for me its the HTC Wizard, I haven't tried it again with Gutsy but after my exams I will give it another go I guess.

brew1brew
November 2nd, 2007, 12:30 AM
Prof, How about an update on your Linux trip??

you said that gaming was not part of the bet, but are you a WoW player? WoW works great under wine. Also someone else sugested you try out Alian Arena. It's in the repositories for 7.10.

Les

Billy_McBong
November 2nd, 2007, 01:03 AM
Right thing to do, 64bit is not worth the trouble, not in Windows nor Linux, except for server with more then 4GB of ram.
i get a performance boost with 64bit
the only problem i have with it is no java in Firefox(which i don't even care about)

but if you prefer 32bit go with it

Vadi
November 2nd, 2007, 02:25 AM
You can get java in 64bit, I helped a couple of friends already to get it working (click (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AMD64/FirefoxAndPlugins?action=show&redirect=Firefox2AMD64Flash9Java#head-01561afee1dafbb8120703b59a564f2dc161db5d)).

professor fate
November 2nd, 2007, 03:42 AM
Prof, How about an update on your Linux trip??

you said that gaming was not part of the bet, but are you a WoW player? WoW works great under wine. Also someone else sugested you try out Alian Arena. It's in the repositories for 7.10.

Les

So far so good. On occasion I do get a couple of error messages when listening to KEX 1190. Something about not being able to get a connection, but it still plays. I actually got a bit thrown off track with the conkyrc stuff. It looks cool, so I've been playing around with it.

The mouse pad on this laptop is really sensitive, so I've spent some time dealing with that. FF still suffers from hickups, but nothing drastic; I'm getting the gray screen that other people have commented on.

All said though, this is a nice OS the Ubuntu team has put together. The customization seems virtually endless. Scale is the best thing since the mouse. I use it all the time b/c I have so many windows open. I've been tempted to buy a power cord for the Vista box, hook this one into the network and see how to get them to communicate with each other, but that would be an automatic lose on my part. I can't turn that box on. I wouldn't be able to look my buddy in the face and say, "no..I never powered it up". Besides, if I did get them to talk with each other, I couldn't tell him. LOL.

macogw
November 2nd, 2007, 04:00 AM
The mouse pad on this laptop is really sensitive, so I've spent some time dealing with that. FF still suffers from hickups, but nothing drastic; I'm getting the gray screen that other people have commented on.

The grey screen is Compiz Fusion's signal to you that the application is not responding. Enlightenment does a similar thing: it makes the title bar flash glowing red. You avoid staring at it waiting when the app has actually frozen, at least.

sloggerkhan
November 2nd, 2007, 04:06 AM
If an app grays out while your cpu is really loaded, there is a good chance it's not dead, just working.

macogw
November 2nd, 2007, 04:11 AM
If an app grays out while your cpu is really loaded, there is a good chance it's not dead, just working.

True, depending on how good the computer is. Sometimes it'll seem unresponsive and get dim then recover instead of crashing if you have sufficiently good specs.

suupaabaka
November 2nd, 2007, 04:11 AM
So far so good. On occasion I do get a couple of error messages when listening to KEX 1190. Something about not being able to get a connection, but it still plays. I actually got a bit thrown off track with the conkyrc stuff. It looks cool, so I've been playing around with it.

All said though, this is a nice OS the Ubuntu team has put together. The customization seems virtually endless. Scale is the best thing since the mouse. I use it all the time b/c I have so many windows open. I've been tempted to buy a power cord for the Vista box, hook this one into the network and see how to get them to communicate with each other, but that would be an automatic lose on my part. I can't turn that box on. I wouldn't be able to look my buddy in the face and say, "no..I never powered it up". Besides, if I did get them to talk with each other, I couldn't tell him. LOL.

My Windows box and my Ubuntu laptop are always talking to each other :)

The only reason Windows still exists in the household is because my parents are used to it, and they don't want to learn Linux. But all my media (music and video) is stored on my Windows machine, and I just stream it through wireless from my laptop.

Frak
November 2nd, 2007, 04:13 AM
Really though, we do have to hand the creation of Ubuntu over to the all great SABDFL (Mark Shuttleworth) and Canonical.

macogw
November 2nd, 2007, 04:25 AM
Really though, we do have to hand the creation of Ubuntu over to the all great SABDFL (Mark Shuttleworth) and Canonical.

Debian and other upstream developers need love too.

Frak
November 2nd, 2007, 04:26 AM
Debian and other upstream developers need love too.
I thought that was implied.

professor fate
November 2nd, 2007, 04:27 AM
True, depending on how good the computer is. Sometimes it'll seem unresponsive and get dim then recover instead of crashing if you have sufficiently good specs.

Yes, it dims for a few seconds then comes back to life. I just figured it was thinking. It mainly happens when using FF. I don't see a pattern though with FF. It can happen with or without a page loading flash. Maybe it's because I keep eight or nine tabs going at the same time.

macogw
November 2nd, 2007, 04:31 AM
Yes, it dims for a few seconds then comes back to life. I just figured it was thinking. It mainly happens when using FF. I don't see a pattern though with FF. It can happen with or without a page loading flash. Maybe it's because I keep eight or nine tabs going at the same time.

That probably is why. FF is just plain a memory hog. I'm taking a class with the head Camino (FF for Mac) dev as my professor, and we have to learn about how FF is made. The way it's programmed, it is VERY easy to introduce memory leaks.

professor fate
November 2nd, 2007, 04:31 AM
OK...now i've got to ramp it up a bit. I do some work with Flash and need to load Professional 8. Is this going to be a Wine experience?

macogw
November 2nd, 2007, 04:37 AM
Probably would require Crossover Office.

Frak
November 2nd, 2007, 04:39 AM
Probably would require Crossover Office.
That or Cedega.

I recommend those over just using Wine alone (pain in the *** compared to Crossover or Cedega)

professor fate
November 2nd, 2007, 04:41 AM
That or Cedega.

I recommend those over just using Wine alone (pain in the *** compared to Crossover or Cedega)

OK, I'll start reading about those then. Thanks.

R.Bucky
November 2nd, 2007, 04:45 AM
I am the first to admit that I hate Microsoft. However, they have the market covered when it comes to their office suite and usability of applications such as the Adobe Suite. I had completely switched over to Ubuntu. I found myself using VMware server too much for MS office apps. So, I decided to take the best of both worlds and convert back to a dual boot Vista/Gutsy install. Without Gutsy's ability to read the NTFS partition and transfer files between the systems, I might have almost been persuaded to go strictly with Vista with VMWare server of Ubuntu. Sorry. Until MS office apps can be used on Linux without paying for Crossover, I have to dual boot.

Good luck with the bet

macogw
November 2nd, 2007, 05:00 AM
I am the first to admit that I hate Microsoft. However, they have the market covered when it comes to their office suite and usability of applications such as the Adobe Suite. I had completely switched over to Ubuntu. I found myself using VMware server too much for MS office apps. So, I decided to take the best of both worlds and convert back to a dual boot Vista/Gutsy install. Without Gutsy's ability to read the NTFS partition and transfer files between the systems, I might have almost been persuaded to go strictly with Vista with VMWare server of Ubuntu. Sorry. Until MS office apps can be used on Linux without paying for Crossover, I have to dual boot.

Good luck with the bet

Was it Excel? Excel's the only thing MS ever did right. Word, though? No way. It's terrible for laying out what you want, and it's always breaking compatibility with itself. OOo Writer has at least some support for nice layout stuff (like frames), though I won't pretend it's a full desktop publishing suite by any means. Still, miles ahead of Word.

R.Bucky
November 2nd, 2007, 05:06 AM
Excel... A very intuitive guess. You are mostly correct. OOfice was unable to provide the graphs of linear trendlines and such. OOfice also had difficulties transferring my resume. IT was a killer for transforming a job application packet to pdf using Acrobat.

sloggerkhan
November 2nd, 2007, 05:12 AM

I notice it most when pages have javascipt that seems to lag my processor somehow.

So far as flash goes, I hear synfig studio is getting better, lol... I also thought you could develop flash by programming instead of using the studio. Flash is probably one of the things I would say doesn't have a good linux equivalent.

professor fate
November 2nd, 2007, 05:14 AM
Hmmm....this is what Codeweavers has to say about Flash 8

"We have not tested this application We do not know if it works, and we do not support it."

Is Cedega more of a gaming compatibility software for Linux?

sloggerkhan
November 2nd, 2007, 05:16 AM
Cedega is inteded for gaming, yes. And not sure if this would lose your bet, but there is Parallels for linux.

macogw
November 2nd, 2007, 05:20 AM
Excel... A very intuitive guess. You are mostly correct. OOfice was unable to provide the graphs of linear trendlines and such. OOfice also had difficulties transferring my resume. IT was a killer for transforming a job application packet to pdf using Acrobat.
Yep, that's the exact problem RAV TUX's wife had with OOffice Calc.

OOffice does pdf though. I do my resume in LaTeX. It gets nice professional results. If you don't want to learn LaTeX, there's always LyX, which is a GUI for LaTeX. It's pretty standard to compile LaTeX source to pdf these days (though default is dvi).

sloggerkhan
November 2nd, 2007, 05:23 AM
If there is one feature of OOo I miss, it's that OOo doesn't allow you do show regression equations on graphcs.

professor fate
November 2nd, 2007, 05:25 AM
Cedega is inteded for gaming, yes. And not sure if this would lose your bet, but there is Parallels for linux.

So Parallels is VM for Linux? I'd run something like XP or Vista in a VM?

macogw
November 2nd, 2007, 05:28 AM
So Parallels is VM for Linux? I'd run something like XP or Vista in a VM?

Yes, but I don't know why you'd pay for Parallels. Virtualbox is free, and it does the integrated thing that Parallels is known for (instead of Windows being enclosed in a window, your Windows apps run right on your GNOME desktop as if they were native).

professor fate
November 2nd, 2007, 05:32 AM
Yes, but I don't know why you'd pay for Parallels. Virtualbox is free, and it does the integrated thing that Parallels is known for (instead of Windows being enclosed in a window, your Windows apps run right on your GNOME desktop as if they were native).

What sort of performance hit would the computer take? Does it feel laggy?

sloggerkhan
November 2nd, 2007, 05:35 AM
I think virtualbox should be looked into first.
Parallels is commercial and it is basically running windows natively ontop of linux.
I think virtualbox, if set up correctly, can do pretty much the same thing. (Only thing I'm not sure about is 3-D accel)

macogw
November 2nd, 2007, 05:40 AM

Someone else answer this. I don't even use Microsoft fonts, let alone their OS.

professor fate
November 2nd, 2007, 05:41 AM
I think virtualbox should be looked into first.
Parallels is commercial and it is basically running windows natively ontop of linux.
I think virtualbox, if set up correctly, can do pretty much the same thing. (Only thing I'm not sure about is 3-D accel)

OK. I'll play with this tomorrow. I don't know if you work with Flash 8, but it is a hog. I'm just thinking with Ubuntu, XP, and Flash 8 all going at the same time it could be a slug. I don't want to use Vista b/c I know it has a larger footprint than XP.

balak
November 2nd, 2007, 05:48 AM
Your friend is going to lose on a bet that isnt fair to him. You certainly are not going to have the tenacity that he would have- youve already admitted that you love Vista, and you are placing money on the fact that Ubuntu cant compete? Would a person who makes such an unfair bet to a friend seriously provide hours of dedication to make something work for his friend? Or would he just cry foul until his friend stepped in and fixed it for him?

He could come there and setup compiz fusion. He could setup application launchers for every application on your gnome panel. He could set up conky and gdesklets. He could setup devils pie to manage which applications open in which windows. He could setup KDE, XFCE, FLUXBOX, icewm, openbox and every window manager under the sun for you to select at the login screen. He could put in custom icon themes, turn your mouse pointer into a silver arrow like mine. He could setup openoffice in a few clicks and the gimp saving you hundreds of dollars.

And.. if you manage to find one thing that windows can do, because it maintains 85% (!) of the market share versus what OSS has accomplished with .8%, you win.

I really understand where your friend is going with this. Hes trying to open your eyes. He knows you could be a **** and remain a slave to the commercial world, and net a laptop from it. But hes trying to get you in this world, and show you the options hes so passionate about, and the freedom that follows. Hes willing to hold the carrot of a new laptop in front of you to get you to try it, knowing full well if you dont "see", hell be giving you one.

The really sad part is.. i bet he could care less whether he gets a shiny new laptop- he just wants to see his friend find the world he s in...

Very nice post. You have articulated our (linux users) position very well.

I have 'encouraged' several people to try linux and some of them have converted too. These are people who first tried and gave up linux several years ago in college and were surprised at the 'significant' change in the user interface :)

I am happy that I have moved my family to linux completely. Other than using Powerpoint (required for work) through crossover office, I havent touched M$ for 2 years now. Yes, it also means giving 'IT support' to the wife and parents all the time - but now they have kind of figured it out... Its amazing how fast we can get used to something.

professor fate
November 2nd, 2007, 05:58 AM
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Your friend is going to lose on a bet that isnt fair to him. You certainly are not going to have the tenacity that he would have- youve already admitted that you love Vista, and you are placing money on the fact that Ubuntu cant compete? Would a person who makes such an unfair bet to a friend seriously provide hours of dedication to make something work for his friend? Or would he just cry foul until his friend stepped in and fixed it

I think I've demonstrated a healthy attitude about trying Ubuntu. I don't believe I've said anything bad about it. And friends will bet, at least I do with mine. Based on his claims, I think I made a fair bet. In a nutshell, I should be able to do on Ubuntu what I do on Vista. I won't throw any curve balls; for instance, say that I need to install some midi recording software. I'm just working with apps that I use on a regular basis. If OO handles my word processing, great. I can edit the PDF files using PDF Editor, so all is good. I'm just going down the line. Now I'm at Flash 8.

xat_
November 2nd, 2007, 06:55 AM

Your mileage may vary based on your specs, of course. VMs are definite memory hogs, and working simultaneously between the host and VM could induce some strain on the CPU (this scales well with multiple cores).

Little note/disclaimer about VirtualBox; their seamless integration feature is a bit cheap. The idea is essentially to mask everything but the windows themselves; no moving windows across workspaces, no accessing individual windows from your gnome task panel.

I have yet to try their newest version (came out as of Oct. 18th), however the version prior also had a known bug which yielded massive distortion of the background when no windows were floating (i.e. they're all minimized).

sloggerkhan
November 2nd, 2007, 07:18 AM
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=3673
and it looks like it has a shot in wine. Probably less intensive than a vm.

pawitp
November 2nd, 2007, 10:29 AM
Cedega isn't really worth touching. Even for games, wine gives me better result.
Crossover office is just a nice GUI to wine and support. Don't hate them though - they contribute codes to wine as well. Do try running Flash 8 on wine

brennydoogles
November 2nd, 2007, 01:45 PM
I think I've demonstrated a healthy attitude about trying Ubuntu. I don't believe I've said anything bad about it. And friends will bet, at least I do with mine. Based on his claims, I think I made a fair bet. In a nutshell, I should be able to do on Ubuntu what I do on Vista. I won't throw any curve balls; for instance, say that I need to install some midi recording software. I'm just working with apps that I use on a regular basis. If OO handles my word processing, great. I can edit the PDF files using PDF Editor, so all is good. I'm just going down the line. Now I'm at Flash 8.

I feel that you have had a really awesome attitude about the whole thing, so keep it up. By the way, if you will be looking for an open source alternative to dreamweaver (which it looks like you might from the other programs you use) try Aptana (http://www.aptana.com). It's still in beta (therefore slightly lacking compared to Dreamweaver) but Unbelieveably promising. Good luck, and if I can do anything to help you lose let me know:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

Vadi
November 2nd, 2007, 02:32 PM
I'm just wondering, is there no flash editing software for linux at all?

Forlong
November 2nd, 2007, 02:42 PM
Flash is proprietary/closed source, so there's pretty much now way to provide an open source application for that.

I don't know if there's a commercial one, though (doubt it).

aquavitae
November 2nd, 2007, 02:47 PM
Flash is proprietary/closed source, so there's pretty much now way to provide an open source application for that.
Not entirely true - there's reverse engineering. That's how things like the ntfs driver and mp3 codecs were developed. But it does take time and won't be strictly legal when it is developed.

Forlong
November 2nd, 2007, 02:52 PM
Not entirely true - there's reverse engineering.
That's why I said "pretty much".

Oceola
November 2nd, 2007, 03:06 PM
Having been a long time early Dos and Windows user and now dual booting only Linux distributions, currently Dapper and Feisty on the same box I think this test is a good milestone, useless since Linux in general is coming into it's own without MS assistance or cooperation, but a milestone just the same. Evidence of MS trying to become the middleman in some ways has hit the news recently with crippled forms of limited Linux distros working through or having to be installed through MS becoming available.
I had some obscure and hard to find but competent Windows based software which I was able to replace and exceed in function and detail with open source programs from the normal repositories. Likewise i was able to exceed my needs in the manner of the usual science, math and office types of software and updates and upgrades have been far more successful and timely.
I now have two computers running Ubuntu and am looking forward to trying Gutsy on one of them. There is no more MS in the systems at all, not even Wine or a VB for some ethereal form of MS.
I would find it suspect for someone to say they can't live without Windows anymore unless they were part of a larger network which would not allow Linux or other OS access.:lolflag:

50words
November 2nd, 2007, 03:42 PM
I would find it suspect for someone to say they can't live without Windows anymore unless they were part of a larger network which would not allow Linux or other OS access.:lolflag:

I can't live without Windows because Ubuntu has terrible support for graphics cards and I can't live without dual monitors at work (paperless law office).

Tom Mann
November 2nd, 2007, 03:46 PM
50Words: Terrible...

Can+~
November 2nd, 2007, 04:13 PM
I have the whole Studio 8 installed via Wine, and it works fine. But I didn't like the colors so I pasted something on some folder (very specific), I think that link is on my signature.

Pic: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/CanXp/fireawesome.jpg (Adobe can suck my **** (auto censored), macromedia had the best software.)

About virtualbox: It works surprisingly good. For instance, windows took about 5 seconds to boot inside virtualbox, and was working instantly.

American_Outcast
November 2nd, 2007, 04:16 PM
I can't live without Windows because Ubuntu has terrible support for graphics cards and I can't live without dual monitors at work (paperless law office).

???????????

Ubuntu has excellent support for graphics cards. Here is a screen shot of a dual monitor setup, two 19" 1440x900 wide screen monitors. A few clicks and it was all set up.

Exonimus
November 2nd, 2007, 05:36 PM
I stickied this topic because I'm really interested in how this continues. About virtualbox: I have it running on a 2ghz pc with 512mb ram, 192mb assigned to my virtual windows xp in Seamless mode. It's quite good, but not perfect yet. And it's a bit cheap because some other VM programs had it first, but you won't hear me complaining :P if you're interested, you can also do it another way.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=433359
but the seamless mode that comes with virtualbox is much less of a hassle. Actually, for me, it was no hassle at all. Just installing windows on a VM, installing the guest additions(2 mouse clicks) and pressing host key+l. done.

Gremlinzzz
November 2nd, 2007, 05:44 PM
I don't think there is a Ubuntu vs. Microsoft the real question should be is when will Ubuntu and Microsoft merge. you see Linux company's merging almost every month with Microsoft.. its just a matter of time; the bottom line is money.What will you Microsoft haters do when it happens.:guitar:

p_quarles
November 2nd, 2007, 05:59 PM
you see Linux company's merging almost every month with Microsoft.. .
We do? Care to elaborate? :confused:

svetlin
November 2nd, 2007, 06:01 PM
Flash8 runs perfect in VirtualBox with XP (512MB RAM for the VM). Photoshop CS and Civilization3 also :)

Gremlinzzz
November 2nd, 2007, 06:13 PM
We do? Care to elaborate? :confused:

I will when you care to answer the question.
What will you Microsoft haters do when it happens.

w116tjb
November 2nd, 2007, 06:16 PM
Just say that you can't defrag the hard drive... Because Linux doesn't need to... LOL. Ext3 ftw!

Lord_Dicranius
November 2nd, 2007, 06:24 PM
I will when you care to answer the question.
What will you Microsoft haters do when it happens.
Me: protest. Now you can elaborate :)

Gremlinzzz
November 2nd, 2007, 06:30 PM
The collaboration List small but gaining names how long before we see.ubuntu added.its all about the money.
TurboLinux
Novell suse
Linspire
Xandros

Lord_Dicranius
November 2nd, 2007, 06:33 PM
Yes, rather small I'd say. And it's not all about money for everybody. Which is why I think Ubuntu is above all the rest.

smartboyathome
November 2nd, 2007, 06:33 PM
Just say that you can't defrag the hard drive... Because Linux doesn't need to... LOL. Ext3 ftw!

why do you have to run fsck before you boot every 30 boots then? :p

Lord_Dicranius
November 2nd, 2007, 06:39 PM
fsck isn't the same as defrag.

fsck = chkdsk/scandisk

Forlong
November 2nd, 2007, 06:44 PM
I don't think there is a Ubuntu vs. Microsoft the real question should be is when will Ubuntu and Microsoft merge. you see Linux company's merging almost every month with Microsoft.. its just a matter of time; the bottom line is money.
You do know Ubuntu is not a commercial distribution like the one's that closed a deal with Microsoft?
And Ubuntu couldn't do that anyway. Canonical could but Mark Shuttleworth sees no point in this.

But that's way off topic here anyway.

Gremlinzzz
November 2nd, 2007, 06:55 PM
You do know Ubuntu is not a commercial distribution. no didn't realize the connection.but your right.but the topic is Ubuntu vs. Microsoft so it isn't that far off.

st4rdr1ft3r
November 2nd, 2007, 07:36 PM
Hey prof give www.winedoors.org a try. It's a package manager style thing for wine, and it has flash 8 in the list. Can't promise anything but it may well be easier than installing it manualling.

American_Outcast
November 2nd, 2007, 07:40 PM
Hey prof give www.winedoors.org (http://www.winedoors.org) a try. It's a package manager style thing for wine, and it has flash 8 in the list. Can't promise anything but it may well be easier than installing it manualling.

Link isn't working for me.

Forlong
November 2nd, 2007, 07:49 PM
www.wine-doors.org

brennydoogles
November 2nd, 2007, 08:19 PM
www.wine-doors.org

Looks very promising!! Anyone know of a list of all currently supported Programs??

Frak
November 2nd, 2007, 10:00 PM
Looks very promising!! Anyone know of a list of all currently supported Programs??
I haven't gotten many of the apps for it to work.

brennydoogles
November 2nd, 2007, 10:44 PM
I haven't gotten many of the apps for it to work.

I seem to be having the same problem. What apps have you tried? I am attempting to install Call of Duty 1, and it seems like i am not having any luck.

Frak
November 2nd, 2007, 10:46 PM
I seem to be having the same problem. What apps have you tried? I am attempting to install Call of Duty 1, and it seems like i am not having any luck.
CoD 1, Flash, Dreamweaver, and Fireworks. Yet CoD runs fine under Cedega

brennydoogles
November 2nd, 2007, 11:30 PM
CoD 1, Flash, Dreamweaver, and Fireworks. Yet CoD runs fine under Cedega

Any luck with CoD under wine?? As a poor college student i tend not to buy software...

Frak
November 2nd, 2007, 11:57 PM
I may try it with Wine later, but I've heard its better in Wine than on XP.

jasay
November 3rd, 2007, 12:43 AM
Any luck with CoD under wine?? As a poor college student i tend not to buy software...

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but CoD is Call of Duty? I have 1 and 2 running perfectly in wine with fairly high graphics settings. I bought them through steam though so I have no idea how well the installation would work from CDs.

You might try the instructions here:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=3603

brennydoogles
November 3rd, 2007, 12:44 AM
I may try it with Wine later, but I've heard its better in Wine than on XP.

I have failed repeatedly to install it with wine, but to be honest I have never had the time to really figure wine out. I don't think I have ever successfully installed ANYTHING in wine now that I think about it.

Bakon Jarser
November 3rd, 2007, 01:42 AM
I don't think there is a Ubuntu vs. Microsoft the real question should be is when will Ubuntu and Microsoft merge. you see Linux company's merging almost every month with Microsoft.. its just a matter of time; the bottom line is money.What will you Microsoft haters do when it happens.:guitar:

I think you are confused about what it means for two companies to merge (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=merger) The companies you listed did not merge with micro$oft, they signed cooperative deals with m$. Big difference.

jrharvey
November 3rd, 2007, 01:46 AM

Im sorry but if ubuntu ever merges with microsoft I am going back to mac. I love ubuntu but i would never put up with that.

American_Outcast
November 3rd, 2007, 02:00 AM
Im sorry but if ubuntu ever merges with microsoft I am going back to mac. I love ubuntu but i would never put up with that.

I would go only with FreeBSD, Desktop BSD or PC-BSD. My fourth choice would be a Mac though, lol.

Vadi
November 3rd, 2007, 02:09 AM
To get back on topic...

The only understand issue right now, as I understand, is to be able to edit Flash programs?

Frak
November 3rd, 2007, 02:12 AM
To get back on topic...

The only understand issue right now, as I understand, is to be able to edit Flash programs?
What? Edit Flash?

Vadi
November 3rd, 2007, 02:28 AM
I meant flash-based applets, sorry that was a bit unclear.

brennydoogles
November 3rd, 2007, 04:12 AM
Forgive my lack of knowledge, but CoD is Call of Duty? I have 1 and 2 running perfectly in wine with fairly high graphics settings. I bought them through steam though so I have no idea how well the installation would work from CDs.

You might try the instructions here:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=3603

Just out of Curiosity, when you purchase a game from steam how do you get it?? Does it come in .iso format, or do you get an all-in-one .exe? the reason I ask is that I have been having a hard time installing using the cd's (even with the loki installers), but maybe if I tried another format I could get it to work. Can you use steam to download something you have already legally purchased?

Frak
November 3rd, 2007, 04:19 AM
Just out of Curiosity, when you purchase a game from steam how do you get it?? Does it come in .iso format, or do you get an all-in-one .exe? the reason I ask is that I have been having a hard time installing using the cd's (even with the loki installers), but maybe if I tried another format I could get it to work. Can you use steam to download something you have already legally purchased?
They recharge you for the game (though it is less).

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=497332
That may help

gobuntu
November 3rd, 2007, 05:21 AM
If it were "Ubuntu can do it, but Windows CAN NOT do it", I'd bet and win easily.

Starting with: "It's free".

1. Free for cost
2. Free for Open
3. Free for Freedom

-gobuntu-

twisted_steel
November 3rd, 2007, 05:23 AM
They recharge you for the game (though it is less).

Do they really make you pay again if you bought it for the PC in a store? I thought when Steam first came out, I entered my Half Life 1 key in there and it gave me access to the games through Steam. I can't remember if that allowed me to redownload the games later from your account, but it's worth a shot.

There is a support section about CD Keys on their site: http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=68

lyndaj70
November 3rd, 2007, 05:26 AM
I know that you can't convert Midi files without purchasing a converter, but install Timidity, type one line of code, and you can convert a whole directory at once!

Have to admit that was one job I thought would be easy in Windows, gave up cause the programs were garbage and used Linux instead.... shoulda done that to begin with but I thought I would be lazy lol! Taught this girl!

~L

Exonimus
November 3rd, 2007, 08:39 AM
not sure if the whole steam thing was on topic, but I've bought these CS and CSS disks a while ago, reinstalled them a few times, also just through steam, no probs. They don't recharge you for it. You have these games locked to one of your accounts, if you log in to that account on another pc, you can just redownload(or just reinstall from the CD) the games

adam.tropics
November 3rd, 2007, 01:05 PM

I don't know if there's a commercial one, though (doubt it).

..But they are starting to listen I think. Flex is in development for Linux (http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flex/flexbuilder_linux/), and sounds pretty interesting, though on Linux it is plugin based (eclipse) only. Applications can be built as .swf and played in Flash Player.

I concede though, that this isn't flash as such, but I do like the direction. Funny thing on the wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flex#Adobe_Flex_3_.28beta.29) site...users of version one were paying $15,000 per cpu...now they're giving us development releases for free....bet that won't last!!!

Dixon Bainbridge
November 3rd, 2007, 02:38 PM
..But they are starting to listen I think. Flex is in development for Linux (http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flex/flexbuilder_linux/), and sounds pretty interesting, though on Linux it is plugin based (eclipse) only. Applications can be built as .swf and played in Flash Player.

I concede though, that this isn't flash as such, but I do like the direction. Funny thing on the wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flex#Adobe_Flex_3_.28beta.29) site...users of version one were paying $15,000 per cpu...now they're giving us development releases for free....bet that won't last!!!

I've just overseen a project involving Flex at work. Its very good. Nice to see it being dev'd for linux as well.

SomeGuyDude
November 3rd, 2007, 05:03 PM
Now I wish I'd tried out a bet like this. I converted over to Gutsy this week and haven't booted Vista since I did so.

The thing is... as long as he specifies that you can use an emulator (I have Wine going, which granted isn't an emulator per se), then the bet CANNOT be lost. There's nothing you can't do.

jasay
November 3rd, 2007, 09:04 PM

I've never tried to activate a game that I've purchased separately in steam, but there is a button to do so. As for the installation, steam doesn't download an .exe and then do a separate install, but rather just downloads the files to where they would be if you installed them. It's as if they have have it installed on their servers and do a big copy/paste directly to the steam directory on your HDD.

holiday
November 4th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Your friend is either nuts - or loaded and feels sorry for your need for a laptop. Were you guys drunk?

Ubuntu can not do everything that Vista does - just like a sushi bar can't give you a Big Mac. Perhaps that's not fair - after all, Vista is not fast food. It's more like Jenny Craig. It gives you all you need in a glitzy package. All that's required of you is the patience to let it thaw.

Here's my suggestion: if, after using Ubuntu for thirty days, you are willing to completely delete your Ubuntu partition, then you win. However, in that time you must demonstrate a reasonable facility with the Unix command line; an understanding of the subtleties of file permissions; explain the difference between Unix permissions and Windows permissions and how Windows permissions is a superior system...

Some of the sweetest features of Unix don't even have a rudimentary version in Windows.

If I was your friend, I'd bet a laptop that I can do things in Ubuntu that you have no chance in hell of coming even close to in Windows.

Who is this guy? He sounds interesting.

Frak
November 4th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Your friend is either nuts - or loaded and feels sorry for your need for a laptop. Were you guys drunk?

Ubuntu can not do everything that Vista does - just like a sushi bar can't give you a Big Mac. Perhaps that's not fair - after all, Vista is not fast food. It's more like Jenny Craig. It gives you all you need in a glitzy package. All that's required of you is the patience to let it thaw.

Here's my suggestion: if, after using Ubuntu for thirty days, you are willing to completely delete your Ubuntu partition, then you win. However, in that time you must demonstrate a reasonable facility with the Unix command line; an understanding of the subtleties of file permissions; explain the difference between Unix permissions and Windows permissions and how Windows permissions is a superior system...

Some of the sweetest features of Unix don't even have a rudimentary version in Windows.

If I was your friend, I'd bet a laptop that I can do things in Ubuntu that you have no chance in hell of coming even close to in Windows.

Who is this guy? He sounds interesting.
Like what exactly can Windows do that Ubuntu cannot, but bear in mind that I am talking about a normal user. What does Windows have for a normal user, that Ubuntu cannot ever reach that Windows has mastered.

Enlighten me, I have a couple of seconds to waste.

pawitp
November 4th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Now I wish I'd tried out a bet like this. I converted over to Gutsy this week and haven't booted Vista since I did so.

The thing is... as long as he specifies that you can use an emulator (I have Wine going, which granted isn't an emulator per se), then the bet CANNOT be lost. There's nothing you can't do.

Then you'd lost[-X

50words
November 4th, 2007, 01:02 AM
???????????

Ubuntu has excellent support for graphics cards. Here is a screen shot of a dual monitor setup, two 19" 1440x900 wide screen monitors. A few clicks and it was all set up.

Ubuntu has terrible support for ATI card (hopefully this is changing). The new ATI driver doesn't do anything for my Thinkpad's ATI Radeon M300, and neither it nor the built-in screen config tool (which also does not work) seem able to deal with two screens of different resolutions.

It's unfortunate, because with Microsoft, all I had to do was plug in the monitor, turn on the laptop, and away I went.

So to the Prof: try attaching a monitor to the laptop and see what happens.