PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista?

MattJD
October 24th, 2007, 03:25 AM
I just got a new computer the other day and it has windows Vista what are the new features on windows Vista?

-grubby
October 24th, 2007, 03:27 AM
what Microsoft says here (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/100reasons.mspx?wt_svl=10288VHa1&mg_id=10288VHb1)

Paul820
October 24th, 2007, 03:27 AM
So you never got the 'WOW' eh? :lolflag:

mhenry35
October 24th, 2007, 03:29 AM
Well, let's see, it does an excellent job of taking up system resources, it asks you for permission to run just about everything, and they've rearranged where all your data files go to ensure that you aren't able to find them.

After my experience, I formatted my new laptop and installed Ubuntu Linux - Feisty.

Problem solved.

Kingsley
October 24th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Here's a whole Wikipedia article on Vista's new features.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_Vista

p_quarles
October 24th, 2007, 03:37 AM
it does an excellent job of taking up system resources
Not so! With Windows ReadyBoost (TM), you can use a flash drive as memory! (reason #~45). /sarcasm

Seriously, though, what is the point of going out an buying a flash drive to use as memory? Unless the technology got way better a couple days ago, this would be more expensive and less of a performance boost than simply increasing the virtual memory.

Of course, if someone has tried this and gotten brilliant results, please feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

FuturePilot
October 24th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Not so! With Windows ReadyBoost (TM), you can use a flash drive as memory! (reason #~45). /sarcasm

And kill it in the same day:lolflag:

LaRoza
October 24th, 2007, 03:44 AM
ReadyBoost doesn't work, after exensive tests done by PC World. Although they did find the drives labeled as such to be very good drives.

Cr00zng
October 24th, 2007, 03:47 AM
Well, let's see, it does an excellent job of taking up system resources, it asks you for permission to run just about everything, and they've rearranged where all your data files go to ensure that you aren't able to find them.

After my experience, I formatted my new laptop and installed Ubuntu Linux - Feisty.

Problem solved.
Well, let's see, Ubuntu 7.1 ain't no slouch either when it comes to resources, it also asks for password to access system settings and/or files via sudo all the times, it rearranged the network and by default tries to operate on IPv6 only. I didn't look long enough to see if Ubuntu rearranged the files, an OS without Internet access nowadays pretty much useless. I should've stayed with Ubuntu 6.0.

Vista is back on my laptop with IPv4 and IPv6 and working just fine, but you're right about the data files. It's a bitch to get used of where Vista puts them by default.

Cr00zng

LaRoza
October 24th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Well, let's see, Ubuntu 7.1 ain't no slouch either when it comes to resources, it also asks for password to access system settings and/or files via sudo all the times, it rearranged the network and by default tries to operate on IPv6 only.

I should've stayed with Ubuntu 6.0.

Ubuntu 7.10 itself is just a distro. You can do anything you want to it. My setup uses Fluxbox, and flies. True it asks you for permission to do things, if it is an administrative function, but it is a lot less clunky then the UAC. Windows Vista is the only OS that requires a pop-blocker. Vista also still carries on the tradition of having the default user the administrator, but now tries to limit the admin. They are not getting the picture here.

Staying with the LTS version might be a good idea. I was planning on it, but caved in when I got an internet connection last week. So far, everything works perfectly.

froy02
October 24th, 2007, 03:59 AM
XP is better. Several software would install in Vista so now you have to buy the newer version, Nero burning software. mcafee antivirus, paperport a software that came with my new brother MFC printer.

I bought 2 hardrives for my 2 computers and installed Ubuntu on both of them. so far those are the only expenses i have incurred and I could do everything I have been doing with windows (98, XP, Vista).

Vista is suppose to be a media center machine but you can not even burn an iso image with it. You have to buy a CD/DVD burning software. Who really wants to watch movies on a computer screen when you have a 60" HDTV in the living room.
I said XP is better because now it stable, so many drivers for the hardware were released and tested. Now we start the cycle again. Find the bugs, make it stable then a new one comes up which may not be better than the previous one. I have gone thru DOS, windows (98, xp, vista). There's not much better functionality difference among the windows version.

thx11381974
October 24th, 2007, 04:11 AM
The best new feature in Vista is the extra long boot time. I love having time to water my plants & takeout the trash while it boots.
Maybe they could slow it down a little more, so I can make a sandwich too.

blastus
October 24th, 2007, 04:18 AM
- Reduced Functionality Mode (RFM)
- Perpetual Reactivation ensures Genuinity

-grubby
October 24th, 2007, 04:21 AM
The best new feature in Vista is the extra long boot time. I love having time to water my plants & takeout the trash while it boots.

why not make it slow enough so you can go to bed too?

Kingsley
October 24th, 2007, 04:25 AM
How old is the system you installed Vista on? My laptop boots Vista almost as fast as a fresh install of Ubuntu.

ShahBucks
October 24th, 2007, 04:31 AM
XP is better. Several software would install in Vista so now you have to buy the newer version, Nero burning software. mcafee antivirus, paperport a software that came with my new brother MFC printer.

I bought 2 hardrives for my 2 computers and installed Ubuntu on both of them. so far those are the only expenses i have incurred and I could do everything I have been doing with windows (98, XP, Vista).

Vista is suppose to be a media center machine but you can not even burn an iso image with it. You have to buy a CD/DVD burning software. Who really wants to watch movies on a computer screen when you have a 60" HDTV in the living room.
I said XP is better because now it stable, so many drivers for the hardware were released and tested. Now we start the cycle again. Find the bugs, make it stable then a new one comes up which may not be better than the previous one. I have gone thru DOS, windows (98, xp, vista). There's not much better functionality difference among the windows version.

Before anyone goes out to buy ISO image tools, for Windows, please visit-> http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm
That should satiate your ISO burning desires... Once that's done burn yourself a nice fresh Ubuntu load!

Frak
October 24th, 2007, 04:51 AM

Seriously, though, what is the point of going out an buying a flash drive to use as memory? Unless the technology got way better a couple days ago, this would be more expensive and less of a performance boost than simply increasing the virtual memory.

Of course, if someone has tried this and gotten brilliant results, please feel free to tell me I'm wrong.
Ruined 3 drives in one day.

kamaboko
October 24th, 2007, 05:18 AM
Well, let's see, it does an excellent job of taking up system resources
false

, it asks you for permission to run just about everything,

false

and they've rearranged where all your data files go to ensure that you aren't able to find them.

false

kamaboko
October 24th, 2007, 05:21 AM

It's quite obvious that you know very little about the Windows platform, and particularly Vista.

n3tfury
October 24th, 2007, 10:50 AM
nice job feeding the troll guys.

Nunu
October 24th, 2007, 11:31 AM
LMFAO There has always got to be the one guy that gets offended When we go bashing The Bill

n3tfury
October 24th, 2007, 11:57 AM
as opposed to a linux zealot? do tell.

Nunu
October 24th, 2007, 12:00 PM
as opposed to a linux zealot? do tell.

Hey if they can do it then so can we. :D

I know i know its a crappy argument i will take my coat and go

iPower
October 24th, 2007, 12:02 PM
if you change/update drivers in vista you'll have to call microsoft to reactivate vista

Nunu
October 24th, 2007, 12:04 PM
if you change/update drivers in vista you'll have to call microsoft to reactivate vista

Really that sucks.

n3tfury
October 24th, 2007, 12:32 PM

to be clear - that doesn't happen with every change/update in drivers. it's quite random. totally retarded none the less.

Frak
October 24th, 2007, 12:34 PM
to be clear - that doesn't happen with every change/update in drivers. it's quite random. totally retarded none the less.
You must install motherboard drivers (if needed) at install from a flash drive, or it locks you out later.

Nunu
October 24th, 2007, 12:36 PM
The term FTS or F*** That S*** comes to mind

Anessen
October 24th, 2007, 12:37 PM
I found that the best new feature in Vista was that its astonishing crapness in terms of performance and design made me look for an alternative for my laptop. I found that Debian fit the bill nicely.

n3tfury
October 24th, 2007, 12:47 PM
You must install motherboard drivers (if needed) at install from a flash drive, or it locks you out later.

i'm sure. my point was that it doesn't happen with every change/update. i'm not defending Vista.

Nunu
October 24th, 2007, 12:50 PM
i'm sure. my point was that it doesn't happen with every change/update. i'm not defending Vista.

We know don't worry we not going to bludgeon you for that. You still said that vista was crap :D

n3tfury
October 24th, 2007, 12:51 PM
We know don't worry we not going to bludgeon you for that. You still said that vista was crap :D

lol, worried. my post was directed at who i quoted. thx for your concern though.

Nunu
October 24th, 2007, 12:54 PM
No Worries ;-)

forrestcupp
October 24th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Vista is suppose to be a media center machine but you can not even burn an iso image with it. You have to buy a CD/DVD burning software.
Well, technically, everything in your Ubuntu OS is 3rd party software; it's just hard to tell because it all comes in the installation. So it's really no different than having to use 3rd party software in Windows to burn an iso. In Windows there are plenty of free apps that do that, just like there are in Linux. You don't have to buy anything.

Wow. I use Vista and I've changed plenty of drivers. I've never had that happen once. I've even updated my motherboard drivers and never had that happen.

Hey, I love Ubuntu, but I'm tired of all of the false crap that is spread about Vista and Windows. If you don't like UAC, shut it off. That's what I did, and now I never get plagued with all of the confirmations.

About the placement of your data files. I actually think it's easier to find things in Vista than ever. It actually is starting to resemble a /home directory a little more now by placing all of the personal stuff in your user folder. I know XP did this, but it seems like Vista is even better at it. One reason it's unfamiliar to XP users is because they finally dropped that annoying "My" this and "My" that naming scheme.

There are some annoying things about Vista, but honestly, there are some annoying things about Ubuntu, also.

MattJD
October 24th, 2007, 11:02 PM

If your trying to say it's slow I have to disagree ever since I got it my internet has been running faster than it ever has and these workmen put these fiberoptic cables in my front yard so now its running even faster.

iPower
October 25th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Wow. I use Vista and I've changed plenty of drivers. I've never had that happen once. I've even updated my motherboard drivers and never had that happen.

maybe it doesn't happen to every one

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/18812/Driver-Updates-Causing-Vista-to-Deactivate/

thx11381974
October 25th, 2007, 06:53 PM
maybe it doesn't happen to every one

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/18812/Driver-Updates-Causing-Vista-to-Deactivate/

This is because Microsoft now thinks of them selfs as entertainment company. The best solution other than Ubuntu that is, is to only use cracked copy's of Vista No activation = no Reactivation.
First Vista then Halo 3 man their just phoning it in these days, I remember when XP came out it seemed to fix so many things that didn't work in 98. All they've done with vista is try and make it harder for me to play videos I want to play. The drive behind Vista seems to be restricting what you can do not helping you do what you want to do.

The future looks bright for Linux.

-grubby
October 25th, 2007, 11:42 PM
If your trying to say it's slow I have to disagree ever since I got it my internet has been running faster than it ever has and these workmen put these fiberoptic cables in my front yard so now its running even faster.

how about Ubuntu?

quickshade
October 28th, 2007, 07:06 PM
I use vista and Ubuntu as my main OS's. With a VM running XP or any other linux distro I need at that moment. While windows is a resources hog compared to linux, I still find everything way easier to do in windows. It's so easy to change settings in vista, and some of the features are really neat. All this window bashing is kind of funny, cause windows made OS's what they are today. Is Vista the best system ever. Not at all. In fact Sometimes I get pissed off. But it is way eaiser for anyone to use.

As for Ubuntu, it's great. I love being able to find anything I need. But fact remains it's still to hard for any normal user to set up. It took me 10 minutes to get everything I needed for windows install. Ubuntu took me 20 minutes. Sure it's more stable and works better in some spots. But both still have their problems.

-grubby
October 28th, 2007, 07:16 PM
I use vista and Ubuntu as my main OS's. With a VM running XP or any other linux distro I need at that moment. While windows is a resources hog compared to linux, I still find everything way easier to do in windows. It's so easy to change settings in vista, and some of the features are really neat. All this window bashing is kind of funny, cause windows made OS's what they are today. Is Vista the best system ever. Not at all. In fact Sometimes I get pissed off. But it is way eaiser for anyone to use.

As for Ubuntu, it's great. I love being able to find anything I need. But fact remains it's still to hard for any normal user to set up. It took me 10 minutes to get everything I needed for windows install. Ubuntu took me 20 minutes. Sure it's more stable and works better in some spots. But both still have their problems.

think about someone that hasn't used computers before and has an unbiased opinion. I personally find Ubuntu much easier than Windows

hellmet
October 29th, 2007, 12:22 AM
I'm not complaining to complain, but, I've used Vista, and it truly irritates the hell out of me. Many XP s/w I had wouldn't install. I'm my system's only user, and I have to always confirm my actions when that stupid dialog box comes up. There might be a workaround that I didn't know, but, Vista ( nor the Dell ) didn't stay long enough with me for me to explore it really well.

inversekinetix
October 30th, 2007, 01:52 AM
it asks you for permission to run just about everything, and they've rearranged where all your data files go to ensure that you aren't able to find them.

Problem solved.

sounds kinda like me using linux for the first time 5 days ago, you get over it

happysmileman
October 30th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Well, technically, everything in your Ubuntu OS is 3rd party software; it's just hard to tell because it all comes in the installation. So it's really no different than having to use 3rd party software in Windows to burn an iso. In Windows there are plenty of free apps that do that, just like there are in Linux. You don't have to buy anything.

Yes but on Windows you don't have the choice to have these default. In Linux you can pick a distro based on what you need by default before having to look for extra software...