PDA

View Full Version : Crimson Editor/PsPad Alternative

kugrian
October 24th, 2007, 02:11 AM
Have just deleted XP from my laptop after many years of toe tipping with various linux distros, and 7.10 just does everything I want.

The one thing I'm missing though is a text editor similar in style to Crimson Editor or PsPad (ones I used in XP). Is mostly the easy editing over FTP thing I'm missing.

Any recommendations would be great.

LaRoza
October 24th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Another Crimson Editor fan? Greetings! I too love Crimson Editor, and miss it in Linux.

However, it does work in Wine.

kugrian
October 24th, 2007, 03:22 AM
I was a big Crimson Editor fan, until I found PsPad (though Crimson Editor has the much better FTP stuff).

Both work fine with wine, but would be great to find something for linux (I find it easier to use the same txt editor for everything).

LaRoza
October 24th, 2007, 03:50 AM
Both work fine with wine, but would be great to find something for linux (I find it easier to use the same txt editor for everything).

There are many good editors, and IDE's. I suggest you try them. Look in the stickies, especially the one about IDE's and beging new to programming in Linux.

I personally use Vim (In Windows and Linux), Crimson Editor (Windows), and GEdit (Linux). I also use KWrite. They don't have the ftp functions to the best of my knowledge.

kugrian
October 24th, 2007, 10:51 AM
The FTP functions are what I'm looking for. I've done a few searches and downloaded quite a few editors, but still can't find a native client with these type of functions.

wolfbone
October 24th, 2007, 11:20 AM
I've heard of an editor that can do this - and just about everything else too. It's rather famous, I believe.

LaRoza
October 24th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I've heard of an editor that can do this - and just about everything else too. It's rather famous, I believe.

Have you heard of the name?

wolfbone
October 24th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Have you heard of the name?

Emacs. Then again, surely Vim can edit remote files too:

http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/usr_23.html#23.2

mbirth
July 24th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I started using curlftpfs with which you can mount your FTP servers like any other device and use your favorite editor to edit files over FTP. I like Geany under Gnome and vim on console.

suniyo
October 29th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I think Komodo Edit works well with ubuntu. I am having one and it seems till now that it is working okey. ;)

cariboo
October 29th, 2009, 10:30 PM
This is a 1 1/2 year old thread, the op is probably long gone. This thread is closed.