PDA

View Full Version : community service hours for open source programming

capturesteve
October 24th, 2007, 01:45 AM
I've been wondering, what do people think about logging time writing open source software as community service? I would think it would make since to do it since it is non-profit. Any thoughts?

Fbot1
October 24th, 2007, 01:55 AM
I've been wondering, what do people think about logging time writing open source software as community service? I would think it would make since to do it since it is non-profit. Any thoughts?

I wouldn't count it.

Acglaphotis
October 24th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Then people would start seeing (open-source development) as a punishment...

capturesteve
October 24th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Why wouldn't you?

-grubby
October 24th, 2007, 01:57 AM
I don't know many people (any?) in my town that know how to program

Kingsley
October 24th, 2007, 02:00 AM
Then people would start seeing (open-source development) as a punishment...
Not all community service projects are considered punishments.

Het Irv
October 24th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Normally I wouldn't count it unless you do allot of code and regularly work on it. I would also have something to back up the claim. Make a usefull program and maintain it.

pietro_spina
October 24th, 2007, 02:24 AM
not all people that are required to do community service are required to do so as punishment. Many corporations ask that employees contribute "X"hrs a month or quarter to a charity. Usually this means that the sales team signs up for the "walk fo a cure" thing...

Also, as part of the registration process, Architects are required to donate somewhere in the range of 64 hrs before we are considered eligible to take the registration exams.

I'm pretty sure open source coding would count, but the idea is that you get involved in your local community.

cheers,
p

Fbot1
October 24th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Why wouldn't you?

Because you often won't benefit the community and the person checking off on it probably won't be able to judge it's usefulness. Most importantly, it's not boring enough.