PDA

View Full Version : Defeating the fear of Linux

Tuxoid
October 24th, 2007, 01:04 AM
How do/would open up someone to Linux if they're scared of Linux. I've tried to open people up to Linux. Maybe I should install it for them?

-grubby
October 24th, 2007, 01:15 AM
show them the live-CD

n3tfury
October 24th, 2007, 01:16 AM
do as grubb says, but also, if you feel like you're having to try to hard to "convince" someone, don't bother.

dasunst3r
October 24th, 2007, 01:33 AM
On several occasions, I've had people notice my computer with the desktop effects turned on and ask me whether I'm running Vista. I proceed to say "no" and give them a quick demonstration of Linux. Thus far, I support about five people.

Ultimately, converting people to Linux boils down to a few things:

Know what the benefits of Linux are for you.
Know the issues that surround Linux, some barriers that Linux has to overcome because of this Microsoft-entrenched society, and how the open-source community is addressing them.
Demonstrations -- seeing is believing
Consultations -- don't install Ubuntu unless you've sat down with your prospective convert and tested their hardware right in front of them.
Live CD -- don't install it unless the person is open-minded and is really convinced. Switching operating systems is a pretty significant deal.

Tuxoid
October 24th, 2007, 01:39 AM
On several occasions, I've had people notice my computer with the desktop effects turned on and ask me whether I'm running Vista. I proceed to say "no" and give them a quick demonstration of Linux. Thus far, I support about five people.

Ultimately, converting people to Linux boils down to a few things:

Know what the benefits of Linux are for you.
Know the issues that surround Linux, some barriers that Linux has to overcome because of this Microsoft-entrenched society, and how the open-source community is addressing them.
Demonstrations -- seeing is believing
Consultations -- don't install Ubuntu unless you've sat down with your prospective convert and tested their hardware right in front of them.
Live CD -- don't install it unless the person is open-minded and is really convinced. Switching operating systems is a pretty significant deal.

Thanks. I'll keep those points in mind. I've told friends about the LiveCD. I'll show them some screen casts next.

Het Irv
October 24th, 2007, 01:41 AM
The Three "Weapons" I Use:

1. Live CD - Instant Linux Demonstration, just be sure to explain that because it is running from a CD you cannot save and it runs slower than a Installed version

2. Repositories - Any geek loves free software. Every geek hates having to find it.

3. Spyware / Virus - Lack there of, nuff said

That and I also talk of stability, for me Linux itself has only crashed badly once for me (and that was when I was messing with the X Server).

These Forums Also are in my standard speech.

Oh, yeah, btw ITS FREE.

Flying caveman
October 24th, 2007, 02:57 AM
Give then a computer with Ubuntu already installed and configured.

or give them a naked computer and have them try to install any kind of Windows on it,